Countdown To Christmas!

•  

Christmas and New Year Party

Party over the holidays in the Party Room chat room: Christmas Party - December 22 from 8:00 - 9:00 pm EST and New Year's Party - December 29 from 8:00 - 9:00 pm EST. 

Sign in to follow this  
GreenQueen

Now on Baclofen

I mentioned my spasms to my doctor the other day. First time in three and a half years!!

Even though they bothered me, even to the point of being painful, I never once thought to mention them.

I'm now on two baclofen a day.  They increase my drowsiness but the near lack of spasms, and definitely no painful ones, is totally worth it.

WHY do we put off telling our doctors about the little things?

I know I wouldn't tell them things because I didn't want to seem as I was whining or complaining. It took someone from here one time to remind me that THEY WORK FOR ME. :) 

I'm glad that you have less spams but sleepy isn't fun. I take Gabapentin for my eye nystagmus and that makes me sleepy . I have to weigh the scales.. One side sleepiness? or less bouncing?  Not fair

I don't understand why it is that so many drugs have nasty side effects? Especially sleepiness. It shows up so often as a side effect. 

I started taking Baclofen 7 or 8 mos. ago for tone, and it quickly became my "miracle pill", because it's so effective. But, in me it causes extreme drowsiness. Like Kelli, I have to choose. And, I agree, it's not fair! :tantrum: Becky

I hear you ladies about the choosing. My husband isn't really happy that I'm sleeping more. Which is odd, as he's always telling me to rest. I cannot win.

I have tizanidine for the spasms. A full 4 mg dose so crashes my blood pressure it scares my wife because she can't awaken me. That takes 50-60 mm of my bp within 30 minutes, which my PCP says puts me at high risk for a stroke like injury due to reduced blood flow. The recommended does is 4 mg twice a day increasing to 32 mg a day. I seem to be reacting poorly to the medication.:sleepy:

My physiatrist recommended baclofen for my wrist pain and tightness, he's also going to try some steroids to see if they have an effect. He warned me about the drowsiness from baclofen, I hate that cobweb in the brain feeling, so I may nit like the drug much.

I love Baclofen-it's the nearest thing I've ever found to a "miracle drug" in that it almost takes my tone and spasticity away.However, it also makes me very, very drowsy. After months of this, I've considered going off of it, but it helps so much... I'm not sure yet what I'm going to do. So, I hear ya, loud and clear.  Becky

I talked to the doc about baclofen a while back, I am apparently very sensitive to some muscle relaxers like tizanidine in that they drop my blood pressure below 80/50 with minimal doses (1mg) and she doesn't feel it would be safe. Makes for some long nights.

I have been taking Backlofen for 6 years at first it got me tired but after awhile this stopped.  It does help my spasms. To compensate the tiredness I would take Backlofen only at night till my body got use to it. Good luck 

That's just it- I do take it at night, and it affects me like that the next day! At first, I had the same plan as you. I was prescribed 10 mg. AM and PM., But knowing that I've always been sensitive to meds causing sleepiness, I took my PM dose, and planned to add my AM dose when I got used to it. While it's gotten somewhat better, it hasn't improved enough that I want to double my dose like I am supposed to. But, as the cold is starting to set  in here, it's starting to bother me more, and I may have to reconsider.   Becky

Another thing I do at night is take Xanax.. oddly that helps with the spasms in my legs and BOY can I feel when I missed a dose

Not yet taking the baclofen just the  steroids, my wrist is a bit better, but my left leg feels very heavy, making walking a challenge. I tried a friends cane yesterday and it felt good. Might be my next purchase.

i am starting on 15mgs baclofen today. hope it help my tight hand

I'm trying a night splint again. The theory is that if the hand can't contract overnight it won't be as stiff.  So far I'm in the acclimatise phase, it's weird. My hand is so "cross" by the time I get the damn thing on that it spends the next hour "moaning" not looking forward to the review on Monday. At least I'm not getting any pressure spots from it.

After a day on baclofen,my hand is looser,but I am kinda sleepy,we will see how it goes

A week on baclofen and I was a zombie, very tired and my legs felt super heavy, turned my PT sessions for me. The dr advised me to stop taking it, and today I feel better already. I am going to get Botox in the arm as he also suggested that, it will take a few weeks to coordinate with insurance and his time.  

One day off baclofen and my legs are lighter and my head clearer. Still took a nap yesterday, but have been waking at 5 am when my wife gets up for work.