•  

Welcome Mac. Yes, it is a real thing. I don't have anxiety, but I'm quick to anger which causes crying. And I've never been a crier or yeller -- I used to just get very quiet when angry, and hubs knows it. Now, he's overwhelmed when I cry or yell.

Thank your so much I apologize, I'm not very good at texting 

Mac, You're most definitely not alone. There are many of us from all over the world, and some come here to share their journey, and all of its ups and downs. You're very new to stroke, and it is a frightening place to find oneself in.  We'll try to help you with your questions, and at least listen to anything  you want to say.  We  "get  it" because we've all been there. Best, Becky 

Hello hilltop.  Good to hear from you. Had my stroke a little over 2 months ago.it does feel better knowing I'm not the only one who gets emotional. With me I just feel very nervous and anxious every morning until the  evening comes around, then it gets better.I just keep hoping it's the stroke damage and not me . Don't want to feel like this forever. Thanks again for your reply. Talking with other people does help

Like other people have said, your brain is still healing so nothing you're going through now will necessarily be permanent. The main thing is just don't give up!! January 2 will be 6 months for me. This message board is the best thing I've found since I had my stroke. 

Becky thank you for your kind remark and to all of you who replied. Some days are just worst than others. I worrya out the stress on my wife who is my rock right now.

I'm gonna beat this!!!!!!!!!!!

Two years on (two years on January 10) I am fairly stable emotionally but still have bursts of despair, rage, misery.  They pass.  It's not fun when they hit, but I know now that they will pass, and they happen less and less frequently.

Cognitively,  am still seeing improvement from time to time.  This seems to come in fits and starts, and also sometimes comes and goes.

There is a long road ahead, but it gets better and easier as you progress along it.  There are uphills and bumps, but they get smaller and smaller and shorter and shorter.  So hang in there, look after yourself, and give yourself time.  You don't have to be a victim, but remember that there is no "cure", just adaptation, so you need to treat yourself with care.

Never give up, never give in.  You'll get there in the end

Almost three months since stroke. Things do seem to be getting better. Right now it's just one day at a time. Just gotta keep a positive attitude 

One day at a time is how it's done Mac. On a bad day hour by hour or even minute by minute. When the unproductive thoughts try to surface you have to acknowledge them and "file" them appropriately, then choose to think about something else.

Hang in there it can be done.

Hey heathber

Hope all is well. You are so correct. Good news is that I had a really good day today. You are so right

You have to put it aside and think about better things. My outcome could have been a lot worse.  

Take care

Hi Mac,

I'm doing good today too. trying to "find" all the data for my tax return that should have been submitted 6 months ago. I do get slack with it and tend to "forget" to do it until I get the plaintive email from the tax account asking when I'll have it ready.  I do get some leeway from the powers that be for being "disabled" but even they won't wait forever and the penalties are not worth it.

-Heather

The Canadian tax office are nowhere as polite.  Nor is my wife :-).  I've been trying to decipher my books for the last year, and amt hinging of sending a copy to the NSA for decryption, as they make no sense whatsoever.  Canada Revenue just send a polite little note if you are late explaining that you now owe a huge amount in penalties.

I love the red earth in the background of your photo -- I lived in Canberra for 3 years while my wife was at ANU.  Hated Canberra, but loved the outback when we had time to travel. Just before we left we retraced the "Priscilla" route (with lots and lots of detours, not all on purpose) -- one of my best trips of all time!

Our tax office is very similar to yours. The tax accountant is not part of the government they are the accounting firm who prepares and submits the return on my behalf. Using them costs money but it makes it easier and buys more time to submit. Deb goes through her client list at the start of the calendar year to see who hasn't given her the info yet and sends a "poke" to those of us who need it.

The photo was taken on my first post stroke vacation. We took the Ghan train from Adelaide to Darwin with a weeks stopover in Alice Springs. During that week we traveled all around the centre by coach. I was very pleased with myself here as I'd just climbed a huge sand hill to look at the view

Heather, I'm glad to at last find the background for that photo of yours! I always thought it was a 'selfie' gone wrong!

Deigh    :yikes:

I explain to people when the outbreaks occur.that the stroke caused me to be overly  emotional. I even wrote my nephews and nieces after my moms funeral explaining why I was extra tearful. I also find I can laugh like crazy at comedy. Big crazy laughs, my wife calls them spooky. I watched a video today and almost laughed myself off the chair. That feels good though, unlike the crying jags. 

Without doubt the stroke does increase emotional response. I have gone past the explosive tears stage but still have to be careful not to get too deep with conversations, I can feel the danger getting close and avoid it. Like you my laughter has increased. I find things hilariously funny on TV and roar with laughter, a thing I never did pre-stroke, although having an acute sense of humour. It would have been fun to see you nearly fall off a chair with laughter..

Deigh

i love to laugh , tried finding old marx brothers movies, but instead found a natural born pranksters flick, funny as all get out.

I burst into tears this morning at my doctors this morning. The words would not come and all I could do was cry..normally I laugh when upset.. 

As for my go to movie " Big Trouble" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0246464/ or Airplane :) 

For months after my stroke I had severe emotional lability (aka PBA). It was awful!!! I would cry about nothing maybe I couldn't reach something in the car. Then it would change to uncontrollable laughing and it would go back and forth for like 30 minutes sometimes. Like someone said earlier I could barely catch my breath. It was so upsetting and embarrassing. Thankfully this has gotten better over time but I still have bouts even 2 years after. You are definitely not alone.

I had a different problem, The occasional bursting into tears was not out of desperation or despair. It was when I wanted to say something pleasant. Even visits to me in the hospital by relatives I didn't particularly like would bring on an emotional attack. I've got to admit that I am pleased to say that nowadays I have mainly conquered this problem,  but I still have to be careful and watch myself when tired and thinking of paying a compliment to someone!

Deigh

That's always the hardest part of it Deigh, what comes out is not really what you are feeling.  It seems to be your brain says I feel something but I don't know what to do with this feeling so let's cry.  And of course the people around you interpret the crying as distress or despair

Yes Heather, You have summed it up rather well. At the same time I have to admit that emotional scenes on TV are likely to have me choking, so it pays me to avoid those programmes.

Deigh

I am glad to see that this is sort of normal as it is something that has started to happen with me however I am five years into my strokes and this has just been happening in the last few months I get just uncontrolled  angry and do cry very easily oh well ill try to reign it in I guess or my husband may just kill me lol as I threw my cell phone at him last week and ive never been a chunker lol have a blessed week yall