•  

Correct forum?

Before you post, please ask yourself this question, "Is this the correct forum"?  Please read the forum description before posting. 

I don't know if anyone feels comfortable enough to share on this topic but it's an important one to me so here goes........When I had my strokes last year, I was also having some major substance abuse issues. Of course the drs. couldn't be sure, but it's a pretty safe assumption that this had something to do with said strokes. I don't know if it somehow re-wired my brain or it just scared me into change but ever since then, it's like the problem with drugs I was having were completely wiped out of my brain. Like I said, I don't know if it was caused by some brain change or just plain fear, but I was wondering if anyone felt comfortable enough to share if they went thru something similar. ? Throughout my recovery, I haven't met anyone to talk about this with and my dr. is as clueless as me as to why this might have happened 

I don't know if anyone feels comfortable enough to share on this topic but it's an important one to me so here goes........When I had my strokes last year, I was also having some major substance abuse issues. Of course the drs. couldn't be sure, but it's a pretty safe assumption that this had something to do with said strokes. I don't know if it somehow re-wired my brain or it just scared me into change but ever since then, it's like the problem with drugs I was having were completely wiped out of my brain. Like I said, I don't know if it was caused by some brain change or just plain fear, but I was wondering if anyone felt comfortable enough to share if they went thru something similar. ? Throughout my recovery, I haven't met anyone to talk about this with and my dr. is as clueless as me as to why this might have happened 

being a misician i have been around drugs and abusers all my life. man you only have one brain, its worth it to keep it safe, and not destroy the cells. Ive seen careers thrown away and great opportunties missed. why? it makes no sense to me, you only have one life to live so  get high on it (being alive and well), or God ,or music or love, or all of the above. 

I was addicted to a substance that i abused several times a day.. after my stroke brain stem i found i didnt have a need of it anymore. As a matter of fact, im repulsed by it now in any form.

I have to be honest other than smoking pot a little in high school and hating it I have never tried anything else and most people don't believe me but its true, I don't smoke, drink or do drugs.

Ed 

Mike,  Wait : Hi I'm Kelli and I'm an addict. I've been clean for 27 year

I know what Alan said and I hope he wasn't being serious. I used to, before my stroke ,help care for man who continued to do drugs despite the  health risks and he continued to have strokes and each one took more away from him.

I am the first one to make marijuana legalized, however when you have health issues , that aren't terminal, doing more substances can cause and do more harm then help. When we do "extra curricular activities" ,before any heath issues accrued, we never imagined a stroke or some there issues happening. More times than not, they make other underlined health issues non-existent.  When they do, we want to mask our grief or anger by doing what we did beforehand  to make us feel better. Now any other types of drugs, you aren't exactly sure what's in it.  ( example: Cocaine -Typically, cocaine' hydrochloride' is cut with other products before it is sold on the street. Adulterant substances are used to increase the volume of the drug and increase profits for dealers. The substances that cocaine are cut with can include non-toxic items such as talc, bicarbonate soda or glucose to harmful chemicals such as amphetamines and levamisole.)((http://alcoholrehab.com/drug-addiction/how-cocaine-is-made/))

There "could" have been health issues you weren't aware of and  even if no reason was found, it can be traced back to Micro-biological issue in your genes

from where ever but dependent on what issues you have....... look,  You know your own life but many doctors are open to all methods when dealing with health issues.. Talk to your doctor before anything you decide.

Hi Mike, I read your post yesterday but wanted to do some research before responding.  And BTW, bravo for being so honest...the best way to get help!

Approximately 20 years ago, a man I know was seriously addicted to drugs and alcohol.  (I didn't like him, but think he's a really great guy now!)   He didn't have a stroke(s); he had encephalitis (inflammation of the brain) and was in ICU for at least 4 weeks.  Encephalitis impairs neurological function similar to the results of having a stroke.

Because it was so apparent that he was a truly changed man when he was able to start socializing again (clean, sober, pleasant, polite...like I said, truly changed! lol) I contacted him to discuss your question.  (I didn't give any information that could identify you, and I'm going to refer to him as C - for Canadian).

He also had no desire or craving for alcohol or drugs after what he called the "best thing that ever happened in his life".  Still clean and sober after all these years; never went through withdrawal; never had even a slight craving.  Like you, C has questioned why the dependency had vanished.

He has two possibilities: 1) the short-term memory problems resulting from the brain injury caused by encephalitis; or 2) perhaps there is a part of the brain that is related to addiction and that became damaged.  He's still uncertain, but extremely happy to be free!

I did find a site that may interest you: https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/drugs-brains-behavior-science-addiction/drugs-brain  The following paragraph from this site is something you may want to discuss with your neurologist: 

"How does stimulation of the brain's pleasure circuit teach us to keep taking drugs?  Our brains are wired to ensure that we will repeat life-sustaining activities by associating those activities with pleasure or reward. Whenever this reward circuit is activated, the brain notes that something important is happening that needs to be remembered, and teaches us to do it again and again without thinking about it. Because drugs of abuse stimulate the same circuit, we learn to abuse drugs in the same way."

Best wishes, Mike, stay clean, and don't ever hesitate to ask questions.                                                                              Enjoy The Day, Good Morning 

Alan, In the last year, I've become active again in being a member of a church for the first time since my very early teens (some 40 years ago). Also, when I had my stroke I became involved with our Community Mental Health Dept. who helped me with issues of depression along with addiction related issues. I realize that even though I feel like those problems are behind me, I know that doesn't mean they won't pop up again so I will continue to work on my mental health and anything else that might come up in the future

Well everyday is a new day. You can only worry about today and not what if's.. We (because you are not alone) got this

On 9/30/2017 at 1:43 PM, MikeLaMarr said:

Alan, In the last year, I've become active again in being a member of a church for the first time since my very early teens (some 40 years ago). Also, when I had my stroke I became involved with our Community Mental Health Dept. who helped me with issues of depression along with addiction related issues. I realize that even though I feel like those problems are behind me, I know that doesn't mean they won't pop up again so I will continue to work on my mental health and anything else that might come up in the future

very good, maybe you can get free of drug use with heir help and prayers

Mike, please let us know if there are any other ways we can help you with this.

We don't judge the cause of your stroke; all strokes suck!  Related image 

41 minutes ago, Linnie said:

Boy is this a true statement. You do what makes you happy. If more church, if more gardening...then rock on. I get tattoo's and dye my hair often.. 

I just know i meed to keep staying involved. There's still a lot of times i feel like i would just rather wall myself off from the world and be a hermit but how is that gonna help me?

I know that you know, Mike, that walling yourself off from the world would do more harm than good.  Please don't wall yourself off from us; we care!  You are so worth it

20 hours ago, Linnie said:

Mike, please let us know if there are any other ways we can help you with this.

You are 100%right on that one 

19 hours ago, MikeLaMarr said:

I just know i meed to keep staying involved. There's still a lot of times i feel like i would just rather wall myself off from the world and be a hermit but how is that gonna help me?

You need support,we all do

I've got to say, I'm glad I found this site. I've gone over a year with really no one to talk with that knows what I've gone thru and am still going thru to some degree. Thank you all

Trust me, we know what you've been through and are still going through.  Not in detail; we are all as different as our strokes, but we know big picture.  It's one of this things that gives me great comfort about this site.  Even just reading through old threads make me understand that there are people out there who understand how it now feels to be me; viscerally, from the inside.  I get a lot of love from my family, without whom I would not survive, and they try to understand, but I hope that they never will.  Because the only people who truly understand are those of us who have been there.

The good news is that things do get better.  You adapt, you forget, you come up with strategies to cope, and you can have the pleasure of discovering old delights for the first time, all over again :-).  And most people are kind and compassionate; you get to see a lot of the good side of humankind.