•  

Correct forum?

Before you post, please ask yourself this question, "Is this the correct forum"?  Please read the forum description before posting. 

Greetings, all --

I'm 46 years old and today, I'm 4-months post stroke. It's been quite a ride.

On the morning of June 3rd, I rolled into the ER with a CVA primarily impacting my basal ganglia. I was truly fortunate to not experience the cognitive and language issues many have had. I ended up with left-side hemiparesis. After a few days in acute neuro, I spent the rest of June in in-patient rehab, went home on July 1, and then had in home OT and PT for about 6 weeks. Now I go back to the hospital for outpatient care a couple times a week for outpatient therapy.

Today, I walk (slowly) with a cane and a shiny, new AFO. My leg is coming along. My arm is getting stronger down to the elbow. The hand is still useless, but I'm confident it will come back.

In was already unemployed at the time of my stroke, and took the summer off from my job search to recover, and now I'm reentering professional life. I've relaunched my podcast on public speaking and I'm back to looking for work.

I'm looking forward o learning and sharing more in this community.

Thanks,

Bill

Welcome!  You've come to the right place for info, help, ask questions, or just vent!

This site has been a god-send for me, hope it is for you, too.

That is fantastic about your podcast.. may I ask what it is about.. I love listening to podcasts 

Hi, Bill. Welcome to Strokenet! You have made a quick recovery, but don't be alarmed if  you start to slow down- that's normal for stroke  recovery. Good luck on the job search!   Becky

Thanks for the warm welcome. This certainly seems like a supportive board.

My podcast is called 2-Minutes Talk Tips, and it's about becoming a more effective public speaker. Each week the first 2 minutes include a simple actionable tip, followed by an extended discussion about other aspects of public speaking and presenting. I occasionally talk about my stroke, but it's not the focus of the discussion. I may start a stroke related or OT related one on the future.  The podcast is available in most podcast directories and at 2minutetalktips.com

While trying to open a yogurt container while in the hospital, I thought of starting a YouTube series called "Stroke Victims Open Packages," but I'm not sure others would find that amusing in the same way I did.

Have a great day.

Welcome 

On 10/22/2017 at 5:09 PM, Cromely said:

While trying to open a yogurt container while in the hospital, I thought of starting a YouTube series called "Stroke Victims Open Packages," but I'm not sure others would find that amusing in the same way I did.

It is funny, but mostly in a if you don't laugh you'll cry sort of way, particularly when the contents of the container end up on the floor or all over the bench. I'm not sure I want people laughing at me then. :tantrum:

Bill :

welcome to best online stroke support group, I am sorry you had need to find us, but once you found us you will never feel alone in your journey. I stroked at age 34 which retired me from the job I loved & I never thought I would find joy in living again. but I did. I found blogging & chatting with other survivors very therapeutic for my soul. we do have chats every day in the afternoon from 3-4 EST M-F & evening 8-9PM EST on M,W & F

hope to bump into there.

Asha(now 46 year old survivor)

On ‎2017‎-‎10‎-‎22 at 11:37 PM, heathber said:

It is funny, but mostly in a if you don't laugh you'll cry sort of way, particularly when the contents of the container end up on the floor or all over the bench. I'm not sure I want people laughing at me then. :tantrum:

That was pretty much all my laughing in month one. Deemed the best way for me to deal with it.

Bill, I think we all go through that stage, the laughter does get easier and more normal as you get further from that first month.  Retaining a sense of humour through this thing is vital.