•  

Correct forum?

Before you post, please ask yourself this question, "Is this the correct forum"?  Please read the forum description before posting. 

anyone using a hemi walker? my neurologist recommended me to get one. i have a full walker now, which is ok, but she said at home the hemi might be all I need

My husband has been using one for about a year. He could never use a full walker as he has no use of his right arm basically, just his left. We had tried for a long time to use four footed canes, but he finds the hemi-walker gives him a lot more security. It's smaller than a full walker. I'd recommend it.

Sounds like you need to try one before you head home to be sure.  for things like this listen to your neuro and your Physio. But how long do they expect you to be using a walker for?  The setup here in Australia is different, here we are encouraged to aim for whatever aids we were using pre stroke. and they choose walkers, crutches or canes based on where you are aiming for as well as immediate need. Be aware that aids will alter your posture and gait and long term they may be more restrictive to your final outcome.  As a younger survivor with good prospects of walking normally again, I was told not to use a walker or cane. I was sent home with a single elbow crutch and I only used it for 6 months.  I will/do use a single hiking pole now if I really feel the need or I'm going somewhere extra tricky, but mostly I use no mobility aids.

Good luck with it

-Heather

17 years ago after my stroke I was sent home with a hemi.  Only because I had no function of my left arm.  I found it to be awkward and didn't care for it.  It was useful for transfers in the beginning,though.  As I worked more with my in home PT I graduated to a quad cane and then a single point(which I use now).  It went quicker than I thought it would.  Now I go caneless in the house.  And use a "Loftstrand"(cuff)cane outdoors for added support.  These are good for long term use and took pressure off an injured(from overuse) rotator cuff on my unaffected side.  I hope this helps somehow.  If you're on Face Book there are useful support groups.  You could always ask there.  They have been extremely helpful to me. Wishing you all the best.

~Beth

I have not used one but I know a gentleman who does and it's been a life saver for him. 

Alan, I've used both a hemi and a walker, which differ from each other in terms of how much assistance they give you. A walker gives you the most assistance, as you hold onto it with both hands, so it supports both sides of your body. A hemi, roughly half the size ( hence, its name) of a walker, you hold on 1 side. While  it gives you less support than a walker, its 4 legs and size give you more support than a 4-point cane, which is the next level of decreasing support. So, it's not an issue of which is  harder, but, how much support do you need. What your neuro is saying is that you're able to do on your own what a walker can do for you. Congrats! But, if you feel uncomfortable about using a hemi, talk to your PT. And, if you don't have one, get a 'script for one from  your doc. Good luck, Becky.

i ordered one, I have only my right arm forsupport, and can walk with no assistance, a little extra support should be good.