•  

Correct forum?

Before you post, please ask yourself this question, "Is this the correct forum"?  Please read the forum description before posting. 

Can somebody help = there are so many apps out there. My mom has had several strokes in a short time and she is so limited with what she can say, speaking and producing sound even.She is receiving speech now but I would love to get her a board on her ipad via app that she can easily find like I want ... I saw ...

SHe is so frustrated she isnt talking now and letting everyone talk around her and I know she wants to talk more

I saw touch chat but cant tell how easy it is

until  we spend the money It is hard to tell how simple it can be

thanks so much

most can be downloaded to try for a set number of days, problem with speech apps they are written for children

My husband had several different things to learn to speak (somewhat successful) on our ipod, but I think they might be available on the clone phones too.   The thing is, it might not work like you think.    My husband previously flew around the world giving power point presentations that he made on his computer, but all that 'know how' disappeared with his stroke.   All work he did in the programs, I had to pretty much be right there with him, because he couldn't remember how to operate a computer.   Some of these aps actually work better for those who just have a vocal problem, for any reason.   BUT, I think it is very good to do repetitive language work.

PHONE AP:  One very small program was in the ap on the phone called SPEAK AID.   It has just a few really important things on it, that when he clicks on them, they say that - like I'm cold, I'm hungry, etc.

PHONE AP:   I know there used to be a whole group of speech aps, but not sure what they were found under.   Search aps using these words separately:   aphasia, speech, lingrapica, small talk   - we have not worked with these languages devices for awhile, but seems like there is something in there that I could do things like take a pic of Bob Evans, or any place, and load his fav meal choices.    and he could see them and show me... we kinda looked at it together, so he wouldn't get stuck.

FREE ONLINE SITE:  One other thing he worked a lot with was on the laptop, but keep in mind you are going to need to sit there and make sure she knows what to do.   After a couple of weeks, I could just get it started and he would know what to do in the one section I picked, but I would need to come back when it was time to pick another section:   https://www.englishspeak.com/en/english-lessons

ps - I don't think touch chat may be the right one.    As I said before, there are people who can't speak, like they are autistic, or voice damaged, but everything else works, and this talks for them.    The problem with stroke is not the voice, it is the brain.   The same thing that causes them not to be able to make their words is going to also mess up their ability to work something or even write.   It's all coming from the same area that is damaged, not the voice, but the brain where the words start from.

We did get the lyngraphica, and my husband worked a lot on that.   But no, it was not a talk for me ap, but a re-learn how to talk program.   He got the Touch Talk,, then we found out there were a lot of the things free in aps!

Here's some links to get your head in the right spot to understand this:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=aphasia

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=lyngraphica

https://aacdevice.aphasia.com/alltalk/

We did look at one thing that a girl came to demo it, called Nu Voice -and it had the problem I've already warned you about.    The girl says, "so, let's say you want to say banana.   So you type in banana, and she did, and the device said banana.  Hubby looked really pleased, until I mentioned the fact that if he could SPELL banana, he could just write a note and be done with it.   His brain is messing up the words, not his voice box.

Please do not talk fast and have a lot of different commands like, "ok, stand up, turn around and let's go....    my husand could not separate all the different things being said to him - one idea, one command at a time.   like "ok, now lets stand up"  after you get them stood up, "ok, now let's turn around"  they turn around.   And don't use flowery speech.   I practiced with my husband every single day to say his name, address and phone number.   Over and over, "what's your name, etc.    So one of those phone calls where I tell them I'm speaking for my husband and they say they need his permission, I tell them he has aphasia, so be patient with him in his trying to get his words together and keep it simple.   So hubby is feeling confident, thinking he can answer what's your name/you name, please or your first name - what does she do?   as soon as he gets on there she turns in to compeltey different person that talked to me (simple and to the point) and comes off with "and who do I have the pleasure of talking to?"    Hubby got so upset!   Here is was ready and confident and there she came off with all those words that just left him with his mouth hanging open.   I hate phone people.

I had an extremely difficult time talking after my stroke and couldn't have cognitively  navigated an app in the beginning. That being said, I think you should find what works best for you and your family