•  

Correct forum?

Before you post, please ask yourself this question, "Is this the correct forum"?  Please read the forum description before posting. 

Learning how to overcome these feelings of tingling and spasticity.  Not sure if this is common but as I walk I start to hunch over. Tingling increases.  

I've used canes, walker & weights.

I can walk without any  devices and willing to try what ever.

Just wonder if there are those that are walker/runners and are interested in coaching or sharing ideas on improving gait? 

Right now I try and get 3500 steps a day, been experimenting with other fitness thing like Strava. Use a Fitbit blaze. 

Never was an "athlete" just searching for ideas, things to try, routine methods, from stroke or brain injury perspective.  

I never knew it until I read Your post and looked the word up, but along with the numbing pain, spasticity is something I have a big problem with. My left side (arm and leg) constantly feel feel like I've sprained my knee and elbow. In fact, that's one of the reasons it took me a week to go to the hospital after my stroke, I was thinking (more like hoping) that I had just strained myself at work since this was my most severe symptom. Even now, if I'm lying in bed and not paying attention, I catch myself  actually believing for a few seconds that I broke my leg and am in a cast. Combine this with the extreme sensitivity ion the soles of my feet and palms, even after a year can still lead to some harrowing walks occasionally. I'm hoping that when I start being seen at the pain clinic, maybe something can be done to ease the symptoms somewhat 

Hi Madade, being aware of issues with your gait is the first step, sounds like you've got that one. :)  Hunching over is not good, it encourages you to use the wrong muscles for long term walking, you'll transfer the weight into places not designed to cope with it.  Tingling could just be partly scrambled nerve sensations.  You need to encourage that sensation to resolve into something meaningful (if you don't it could lead to CPS and other nastiness or miswiring.)  If you need(decide to use) a cane or similar make sure you are keeping upright with it. That old "tuck your bum under" the PT told you is not just because they think it's funny.  Many find that a hiking pole is a good alternative to a traditional cane if you are trying to correct postural problems.

As my PTs say to the new students each time we get a new intake. Speed comes from either increasing the step length or increasing the number of steps per minute. increasing step length tends to make you more unstable, so should only be done once you are really firm in general gait.  Working on increasing your fast twitch muscle movement and developing even gait that can be speeded up will give you a better long term result.  walking to a metronome beat or using a treadmill can help with evening the gait. If you have a smart phone there are a few free apps for metronomes.

3500 steps a day is a good start, monitor how it's affecting your fatigue levels and work on your endurance. My aim these days is 5000. It's amazing how far you actually go with incidental movement isn't it.

Keep at it

-Heather

Hi Mike and thanks for the response. Yeah heard the term in the hospital never associated with me.  I do now.  Seems the more I do the more this spasticity gets.  Note I said seems.  The tingling is a constant for me and as  the next posters has added wonderful comments/advise.  My right foot can seem like its too close to a fire.  Its not constant like the tingling and usually get that after a walk. I try to fight the spastic issue but it creep up on me.  

I've never broke anything so can't relate as to what that feels like.  Just a constant tingling like the term "leg asleep" 

Keep learning and sharing it is appreciated.  

Thank you Heather I am trying with a walking stick.  I think the poles may keep me more up right.  I never heard that "tuck your bum under" but know exactly what you refer to.  

Was experimenting on this morning with the strike length.  I notice I sometimes kick my other foot.  Never was aware of that till started to adjust strike length consciously.   That was bad or maybe good in general I will thank you for that Heather.  Much appreciated and my seek you out for more advice.  

Funny your PT never gave you that instruction. They all use it here. along with "walk tall". Maybe I was just a slow learner.

Tried poles was too much.  Nope never heard walk tall either.  

Try pole (singular) coordinating 2 poles when one leg and one arm are slow/stubborn is tricky.  Use loose grip with the elbow at 90 degrees. Use the wrist strap and swing the pole forward with wrist action (the top of the grip should sit between the thumb and first finger) and only use it for steadying and guiding not leaning (unless going up/down stairs, where more assistance/stabilisation is needed).  I like this description of it https://backpackinglight.com/hiking_poles_technique/  Although this does assume you are using 2 poles and you'll want only 1.

Walk tall is about using your knee properly and pushing off/up when you swing the other leg past. This sounds difficult but is actually easier to do when your bum is tucked as the other muscles are correctly engaged, with your bum tucked under you can't hyper extend the knee, but you can get all the way on top if it.

Kicking your other foot on the way past suggests that some extra muscles are getting into the act and you aren't fully facing the foot forwards, check your knee tracking, try watching yourself take a few strides facing a long mirror, is your knee collapsing in or out and therefore triggering an adjustment.  did you physio get you to do sit to stand exercises? Go back to doing those a couple of times a day and work on building your strength, making sure that you knee is tracking over your foot and ankle properly.

Remember technique will suffer when you are fatigued and this walking lark takes time. ( toddlers take 2 - 3 years to master the techniques and build the strength they need.) As annoying as it is you are now once again a toddler with all that balance and technique to relearn.

Using walking stick. Try to use it with my bad side (right).  See I get funny hold after a while.  Switch over to left hand as it gets too tight.  

Tried two days what you recommended.  A lot of mental work for something was so not thought of.  Put my leg weight on.  It does aid in getting my foot back to the ground.  Read someone said to mentally think of heel to toe and gait.  Helps to even say it.  Not sure but try it.  

Again thanks, your pointers are helping me.

I'm not sure about using the cane on your bad side, that seems counter intuitive.  you must have much more upper limb control than I do I would not trust my balance/safety to my bad arm which has no strength.

But yes thinking through the movement sequence as you do it does help. you want to think heel down then roll your weight over the big toe and push.  I'm now at the point where they are trying to teach me to trust the process and think about it less. So they get me to count backwards by threes and other nasty stuff as I walk so I can't overthink it. Only when I'm in a controlled environment of course. (not something to do outside or on uneven ground)

Heathber I've got a walking stick and understand.  Mother went into hospital so have been commuting and generally exhausted.  Yesterday followed your advice.  Had a real tough time getting moving.  Winds were 22 kph and out of the east and had to start straight into it.  I keep scuffing my right bad side with my left foot.  So been doing the verbalizing.  That helped greatly.  Thanks.  I had a coworker also tell me to breath deeper more from belly and that should help with standing more upright.  It did.  So much going on just to walk.  Love that I felt like young Forrest Gump about ready to break free of his braces.  Briefly neat sensation though.  

Use a Fitbit Blaze that up until last week worked fine.  Irritated over its performance and its tracking abilities.  It just went over its warranty period that's the third fitbit product that has done this to me.  Not happy.  It is doing some data.  

Just wanted to pass on my gratitude for your help.  Even though your half a world away I thank you.  

Yes I now hate wind! I work in an area that generates a wind tunnel a lot of the time. Some days I'm sure it's going to blow me over.  yes diaphragm breathing also helps as it makes you switch on your core which helps to stabalise the hips similar to the bum tuck. Maybe try a slightly wider stance? your feet should be in line with your hips.  One exercise that I was given that may help is to stand relaxed hands by your sides,with your feet knees and hips properly aligned/stacked. and just transfer you weight, forward, backwards, left and right without actually lifting your feet or bending your knees, once you can do this comfortably on the floor try it with a sponge mat or cushion under your feet. It should help your brain to learn where everything is and should be in relation to everything else.

All the activity tracker seem to have limited lifespans.  I think their designers assume we'll grow out of them before they fail. I had 3 jawbone's before admitting defeat with that brand and I'm now on my 3rd Misfit. I do like that the Misfits run on battery and are fully waterproof rather than fiddling with chargers every other day. So it just stays around my neck 24 hours a day.

Frosty walk. Did 1.2 miles thanks for the pointers Heathber. Tomorrow sounds like snow might be the obstacle to deal with.

wfP_WLCblB4k5yHwCDTS0qnvuTr0_LJQSn6Dh7YrpV3-lJpK-UpC2EiNH0QZKA9YVLrK5E0CkSmxVeBP9_BnkoGkg_1Iiy_6g9hPQ25uGP1wi0dv8_XZKKHQJxV0UDB2s5Vh_zPcTkHY0XRTk6ORM8rXqnLtYlUM00QEeeOyUVS6YnvJsDLwb6UMdEsNupQ_mNrRA2auNPT-Nrn5GfJFoopoSaA08yRzZ5wVJlYdkI-vBQ8YNf6dI7q7gqmMSdoTXrbM15Bmn_5N1HD6tYUi2caI0T7T4rotjJaPsOchPfNNhR7U2v8B49kgFArh9Weh2Zl0PJx2PRYq2-zGH7ot7s8g0Hp4N9kRDKWDowKOR6ruwzho4V6R4mdZNF93FzTHfSW7Jc0uPL3vr2Bo5ha8LxKe2lo89jHh0zXkNmvQXvzGQUkDH8SnDE4dRS3YXVazqDL1_ukRZyXUKrbhhhP2VfoL7MgJWwEVyo6bVNNTUYETlQzdFHaE2wmdpjbmf2WzIsO6l4RCj1Osh9R_oPFF643N8kuldaA0yML6u7REOlqYQq3OlzIa1G0wDe6G6bTV9ZIb8NbbSJheNeEVf_vR6Xqz21k10d2VIjf9IsvBwbA=w706-h529-no

Finally after being a little click happy and wiping the posts out reposting the photo.  Apologizing for being click happy and wiping things out Steve has fixed my errors.  Thank you

We had a light skiff of snow.  Preparing to walk, boots, gloves, scarf, toque, not even dressed yet and I think I've got in enough therapy.  I'll attempt a photo.  Glad its pretty flat country around me.  

please be careful for hidden ice under snow. A few winters ago I took a NASTY spill on hidden ice .

Wrk219LabG0Z5hcJYjVus7DCnS_Iiwt0HIVlzJdiTYY0MPJNsN7cZdzLnfoRjsKWuYaScDISXpG8A3lRIUzs2xfUrmppQu6LwusbussOr-7uejSTWClW2PY9Bs9j9qtTDOJzSa2qCMnJCDBLyuoXg0lMlE_wWdQ6BD3eb--wklNWZ-QDefL_7b1Qx2ojvLMZqhjnXU8P2z1vBaLxV4_Mnl93xxk1Z3hDjmnsdtMwk5f1KxFfRSoQi_07ZUdgV8xqCoz-gui9j0gV0tB6pTtWtGh_NduqFXp0DUzvy3LZFYaDtH7aY8EbcjARPFJxtwNJPDe_GtOezglGGkrbZXMsl_IEa05LngDqIohUe9chih6zHP-DPQxbCTAh8k1WT3AhePQpuRu64waK-pXUxuWYTMhTfjCLs-2lsOpEYq8ljfZhTFvInPn3Ia4--2mNyJh_ezqNEPWPWPZvzZQ6-ktWCXh9e9vaMhXuntlXeTAHmOEtCj9VeLhWXVImZabtsOUTynKKijZOadTs71PdWfiKX7mNnY_K3Ml8l95Ay35Ewp2lDO52KDIMn92VW17Uv68ibxoY25dQaz1ye0JGTxAIrnJnvmshcRIWgd-HjobwB1A=w389-h690-no

More disappointment with Fitbit but Samsung pulled through. Man this is difficult to insert photo's in here.  Sometimes its easy I just drag it over other time it just won't go.  Finally got it.  My fitbit only recorded 1 mile where Samsung phone got the whole thing

Again I posted a pic and this time I see its gone with do not enter symbol

G7yR9w-wUUuM5z71gYSOShf2n8rENxXg0O4aenLk91S9uMJRXTejbbSk53AYxymCu5NkInF_kFZTswzStUXeWVXz7MVggAQQWL7rma2VatqYGliBwd2jB9THzRF6LnfcF3lzcR0Rx9Uvhol3Mm8gV6nrhfv9DmkjHZab8QOdODqMUxO3h_Rl70BA5RINGd7VmHkIX93uvshgoNoYlCGWwfFj16kmILbjOxFRrObTs9ZFn8FGKuYxA7LiVpJH7pIXdZNpvkmXI3FkVaj2LfuVr1IReQfpjUaYq6m7yQlymcEu-994gyuXYapGl_6S5qMJUcB8-dMP92T2c_5d55enfxj9n5xN8L3lxKD37yNVbIUUJE0EbkAteqx9iNAjR0l44izU4bZ4rGiUV80XDlXaUoN2usAxikBPbQpnFQv6xngFSbq9OzWnPqF3sdjBLkm8fj2_2ZZTV5MIVL5y-xcBCQXSwrPm1btXw7unOxvFOC6qLOGc7A9uPA56QqZTzqRPSaG2pPJeCEHwR0myE7i6NiukhJzKYEK6-7J4MeJPk4i39jM5WpdLeHENh8lDF4r6RxJyuXi2nZxeofQKM7MzKQC-SUE4KFe_aqVQYBrMo1I=w1000-h750-no