•  

scottm

Interesting concept - brain injury ID card

That's wonderful! Now they don't need to explain themselves every time. Just whip out the card and let whoever read it!

Maybe, eventually,  it'll become worldwide. 

2 hours ago, Linnie said:

Also worried that he'll send me for an MRI, which could dislodge the clip.

Linnie,

Do you know what kind of metal your clipping is?

Don't punch him, kick him in the sweets and say oops  :bravo: 

Contact the local medical association's disciplinary committee to have a word with him.  Apart from the issues of trying get him to listen, he might kill you and might  kill someone else.  He needs some to give him a swift kick in the *beep*.  Or needs to lose his license.

I think that idea is brilliant. You often hear of police mistaking someone with a disability for under the influence of something when in fact the have a balance issue or deaf.

9 hours ago, Linnie said:

Hey Charles, I just know it's metal, not what kind.  My previous physician was in contact with the neurosurgeon from time to time.  It's him that told me the surgeon said I couldn't have MRI scans because of the magnetic field.  

Hi Linnie, you may want to ask your original Neurosurgeon on exactly what type of metal was used.  MRI was introduced in the 80s and I think that you told me that your clipping was in the 90s so they should have known use Non-ferrous metal, not Ferrous metal (with Iron) .  Usually, Non-ferrous (not Iron) is used.  I believe that the typical clipping metal is platinum.  My aneurysm rupture was not clipped but coiled. (platinum)  Regulations may be different in Canada for MRI exam than the US which include non-ferrous metal. I don't know.  The reason why I ask is based on your family history, routine examination are necessary if new aneurysms are present. Honestly, I worry for you.  Please take care.

19 hours ago, 2Fight said:

Linnie,

Do you know what kind of metal your clipping is?

I hope it is not a bolt like Herman has.

Linnie, Considering your family history, as well as your own, I think that your doc should be able to view you as a stroke  risk even without your having other risk factors present. Also, having a genetic  predisposition to stroke should tell your doc that if anythin g changes, even mildly, he may want to consider medication, just to be on the safe side. Just so you know you're not alone, my stroke was at least partially due to hereditary factors, too.

Secondly, if I have to have a sit-down with my doc to discuss  stroke-anything with him ,  I want another doc. And, I'm sorry to be so blunt, but so should you.

Scott, I think having stroke IDs is a good idea. BECKY     

On 10/28/2017 at 3:40 PM, scottm said:

I can see a lot of merit in this idea. I know I sometimes wonder how I would respond if stopped by the police with all the lights and other stimuli.

Brain injury ID card available in Scotland

I contacted these people VIA email, and this is the response I got:

Hi Susan,

Many thanks for your email.

Headway – the brain injury association is a UK charity and therefore I can confirm that the Brain Injury Identity Card is only available in the UK.

Kind regards,

Liz

Liz Partridge

Project Manager - The Justice Project

Headway - the brain injury association

Does anyone know if there's one available in the USA?

Thanks Benni, I going to print one and fill it out.:smile:

Couldn't I just make my own card and carry it in my billfold next to the "I Have Diabetes" card?

I do think the card idea is excellent!

yes diabetics too can appear drunk, have car accidents,slur words etc.

I think a medical alert bracelet with a list of things, mine is stroke, diabetes,high BP, is all the confirmation I need, plus I can add Brain Injury to the list, and my medical info is on computer through docs group at my disposal to verify diagnosis. 

I dislike things sometimes that label me, but unseen disabilities are problematic. Like sitting at a handicapped seat in a trolley, or library computer. One lady told me a story about how she showed her disabled bus pass when another disabled person challenged her to give up a seat.

So I like the idea of a card, especially if it listed my deficits, which would educate people as well as inform.

Shoot, maybe I should get a business card to hand out lol.

o wow! I printed out the wallet card, the free one. I am going to laminate this, hand it out to doc offices I go to, yes this is exactly what I need. Bravo.

That's a good idea and maybe, hopefully, it can be made into law or at least an option