•  

Correct forum?

Before you post, please ask yourself this question, "Is this the correct forum"?  Please read the forum description before posting. 

Roggie

Topical Muscle Relaxant?

I've got some serious spasticity in my right side.  I tried Baclofen, but it relaxed some muscles that I didn't need relaxed and left me with stability concerns.  Is anyone aware of a treatment or process that is more localized?  I heard about a Flexeril cream, but several people told me it wouldn't accomplish my goal.  Specifically, I want to reduce spasticity in my arm to make it easier to reach out to my Stander Security Pole with Curved Grab Bar http://www.stander.com/product/security-pole-curve-grab-bar to help me transfer in my bedroom, bathroom or living room.  I can stand with my left arm, but I occasionally need to shift my grip while I pivot and I try to use my right arm for even just limited support.  If I could just relax my bicep, it would help greatly.  Any ideas appreciated, it doesn't have to be a drug, a 'living aid' I'm unaware of would satisfy my needs. 1100-800x450.jpg

I've tried topicals with baclofen and flexiril, they had no real effect on my spasticity. PT and stretching exercises seem to be more effective for me.

Hi Roggie, I agree with Scott PT and/or massage and stretching are probably going to help more than topical drugs. You could try botox in the bicep if you want something more targeted than baclofen etc. Botox wears off after about 3 months and takes a week to 10 days to fully kick in, but it also gives you a chance to work the opposors to the problem muscle which should help you with longer term function.

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 10:38 PM, heathber said:

Hi Roggie, I agree with Scott PT and/or massage and stretching are probably going to help more than topical drugs. You could try botox in the bicep if you want something more targeted than baclofen etc. Botox wears off after about 3 months and takes a week to 10 days to fully kick in, but it also gives you a chance to work the opposors to the problem muscle which should help you with longer term function.

I agree with Heather..  The only thing I can give to talk to therapist for Botox possibility.  ( ps that stand bar is awesome)

I USE BIOFREEZE FOR INSTANT LOCAL PAIN RELIEF. WORKS GREAT COMES IN A ROLL ON VERSION