•  

Correct forum?

Before you post, please ask yourself this question, "Is this the correct forum"?  Please read the forum description before posting. 

Pearls

BROKEN ANKLE PAIN

Had a bad fall and broke my ankle. On the pain scale I have been a 10.  Was seen in the ER via 911. Prescribed oxycodone. It did nothing. Prescribed dilaudid which is 5 times stronger. Took five days to kick in and take the edge off. So now finally I am at an 8 to 9.Is there something about stroke damage that interferes with pain killers that affect CNS?  Four different docs implied that I was scamming for drugs because these pain killers work on everyone else. still waiting to see orthopedic surgeon.

11 hours ago, Pearls said:

Had a bad fall and broke my ankle. On the pain scale I have been a 10.  Was seen in the ER via 911. Prescribed oxycodone. It did nothing. Prescribed dilaudid which is 5 times stronger. Took five days to kick in and take the edge off. So now finally I am at an 8 to 9.Is there something about stroke damage that interferes with pain killers that affect CNS?  Four different docs implied that I was scamming for drugs because these pain killers work on everyone else. still waiting to see orthopedic surgeon.

I shattered my wrist a few years back and was prescribed dilaudid following repair surgery; I got more relief with ibuprofen.  I've read where there's a small percentage of people who don't get relief with pain killers.  I have no idea if stroke exacerbates that or not.

I hope you find relief!  (((((hug)))))

that is so terrible that we have come to this.  I'm sorry you had a bad fall. 

Kelli, I'm so sorry! The one and only time that I broke a bone was about 4 mos. before my stroke, and I couldn't believe how painful it was! 

My doc only gave me about week's worth of pain meds, and balked when I asked for more because it was keeping me up at night. If you can, try elevating it, or wrapping it, or your foot if you can, in warm towels (nuke 'em)-it may help some. Don't know about any connection between stroke and pain meds, but after seeing first-hand what a stroke can do, it wouldn't surprise me. Be well, Becky