•  

Correct forum?

Before you post, please ask yourself this question, "Is this the correct forum"?  Please read the forum description before posting. 

Pearls

CPS - What Works

Broke my ankle a week ago and I think CPS has set in. I am in excruciating pain and nothing is helping. Has anyone had any success with different meds?  Is a neurologist or pain management doc better at treating this?   any and all info appreciated.  Thanks.

I went to several neurologists, at first.  None of them knew very much about CPS.  But, that was 20 years ago.  When I went to a pain management doctor he knew about and completely understood CPS.  The best part was he knew about what pain management drugs to prescribe. 

Hope your ankle heals quickly! 

thank you Steve.  I think the broken ankle was just the trigger. the pain has moved beyond the ankle now and attacks me out of the blue.  Why is it that these things happen just when you  think things are getting better? 

http://www.centralpainsyndrome.net/  <------ try this website. There are great suggestions and answers on http://www.strokeeducation.info/

got some bad news this morning. The pain clinic my PCP referred me to just called to let me know that they won't see me because they don't think they have any treatments to offer that can help with the pain/numbness issues I'm dealing with. It's definitely not the end of the world but it does make me worry that the pain is just something I have to just learn to live with. I am taking a combination of Lyrica and Cymbalta and while I am at the max dosage of Lyrica, maybe the Cymbalta can be upped. Like I said, it's not the end of the world but it's not a good start to the week.......arrrrghhh!!!

Mike, I am feeling for you. Just a word of caution, Cymbalta isn't for everyone, one of the side effects is suicidal thoughts.  Been there, done that and it was scary.  If you have to seek out doc in a nearby city with more experience, do it.  Sometimes a muscle relaxant thrown into the mix helps, sometimes an anticonvulsant.  There are thousands of meds out there .  Each body is unique, and requires a unique formula.

Since I am also being treated for depression, my reaction to the Cymbalta is something my dr. has been watching, and so far so good. A muscle relaxant seems like something that may help. i'll ask my dr. at my next appointment, so we'll see about trying something like that. I am starting to get the idea though that this pain is something that I more or less am just going to have to learn to live with. At least I can get around pretty well since the pain so far has been something I've been able to tolerate (for the most part). As much as I complain about the pain, I also know how lucky I am that it's not a lot worse