•  

scottm

Healing sleep?

My wife pointed out to me that she has noticed a definite pattern in my healing process and on consideration she may be right. I go into a sort of hibernation mode from time to time and just sleep a lot. This will go on for a week or more then we start to notice an improvement in my deficits. Lately I've been sleeping a lot again and we both notice that in general my gait is improving a bit each day. I still back slide from time to time but overall my movement is better. I'll have to ask the neuro if this is a reasonable hypothesis or just coincidence.

Hmmm, now that is interesting! I wonder what your Neuro would say to that?

My sleep pattern is more or less like before the stroke.

Scott, it does sounds like a valid pattern I have something similar happen.  I start to do something new and my general fatigue level gets worse. But as I adapt and consolidate the new movement pattern the fatigue lifts again. My neuro physio confirmed for me that it's not my imagination. It happened after each of my surgeries as the muscles I could now access started to join in.

On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 1:15 PM, scottm said:

My wife pointed out to me that she has noticed a definite pattern in my healing process and on consideration she may be right. I go into a sort of hibernation mode from time to time and just sleep a lot. This will go on for a week or more then we start to notice an improvement in my deficits. Lately I've been sleeping a lot again and we both notice that in general my gait is improving a bit each day. I still back slide from time to time but overall my movement is better. I'll have to ask the neuro if this is a reasonable hypothesis or just coincidence.

that is so true. Rest is the best medicine. I was always told listen to your body and if your body says ;' Hey I need to heal' well by golly, rest. Many people don't connect the lines of healing to sleeping so much as they see sleeping and giving up . If you look at a broken bone, they place it in a cast to be still , or sleep, so it can heal..   your brain is the broken bone and resting keeps it still and healing. Heal away my friend :) 

Saw the doctor yesterday for an unrelated matter and brought this up in passing. She thought my reasoning was good and it seemed quite likely to her that this is what is going on even if my pattern isn't a common one.

I saw my neuro when I was having memory issues and involuntary shaky hand movements. HEsaid that deficits become more pronounced with my lack of sleep and suggested I get more sleep. So I now notice how things are better when I take regular naps. It is not being lazy. It makes everything better. Mood,reasoning,less dizzines,more energy, better balance. All problems are more pronounced when I am tired.

If I do not sleep then I drop off where I sit. I think you are right Scott.

oh yeah, my neuro suggested reading about sleep and sleep deprivation.

From what I read, the brain is busy during sleep , and sleep after any learning may get that info filed away and enhance using that info. So our sleep hibernations may be the biggest rehab sessions of all perhaps the time when new neural rewiring goes on.....

so I try and sleep all I can