•  

we went on our river cruise and it was totally awesome. The viking staff onboard all expressed and showed concern for my safety.I was able to maneuver around the boat with no problem, even..ahem...after a visit to the whisky bar...The food was fabulous and I sampled the local brews in every bavarian town we passed.The excursions were mostly on buses, but I also managed the " easy leisurely" walking tours,even walking across the 1/2 mils chain bridge in Budapest after lunching on the Pest side. 

I found my workouts have strengthened my leg stamina and ability. I am using the squat machine with 160 pounds now.Its a struggle and I try to emphasize the left leg which is the weaker, but it helps. 

We were thrilled to visit ancient towns like Regensburg, and Passau in germany. also vienna and then Budapest.

soooo- next July we are booked on a 7 day in Southern France!  Provence and Avignon to Lyon.then the high speed train to Paris for 4 nights there.My favorite street..rue Cler is where we are staying.A lot to look forward to. VIking offered us a super deal as repeat cruisers, could not turn it down . 

HOpefully I will be walkn even stronger by then

here are some photos you can browse of our cruise,,,happy day all....!

Hi Alan,

That is awesome.  I'm am so impressed.  I still have a ways to go.  I can't get on a boat yet.  Or a rocking chair.  The movement messes me up in the head.  I just got a small trampoline over weekend to practice and see if that will help me get over it.  Busy over weekend so not assembled yet, maybe today.   Not sure what a squat machine is.  But 160 pounds on any machine sounds pretty impressive.

My walks though are getting longer.  I did 2 miles last week with my walking sticks.  Can't barely get 100 ft without them.  But still getting tired easily.

looked at your photos.  Really nice.  Is that you and your wife at the Escobar?  I also see you eyeing the McD's

McD's doesn't look the same without its yellow arches. 

Alan, your pictures are gorgeous!

Beautiful photos - thanks for sharing!

I have to say, the "archless" McD's reminds me of the one here in downtown Minneapolis - or am I thinking of a Burger King?  Well, it looks like one of them!  Guess I haven't been downtown for a while - livin' it up in the 'burbs :-)

Alan love the photos!

That is amazing (the trip).  Really happy that it worked out, and congratulations on the leg strengthening.

Hi Alan, Thanks for sharing.  My husband had a February 26 and has left side hemiplegia.  He is getting stronger and walking much better using a quad cane, but getting the arm and hand working is a much slower process.  We had often talked about going on a Viking Cruise and I had sort of given up hope, but  seeing you do it brings back the possibility.  Thank you.

Hi Alan,

I've often wondered how accommodating the staff would be on one of those cruises, your pictures, and sharing about your experience, have me wanting to go even more!  THANK YOU!

Wayne and I have done two cruises, very enjoyable.

Will have to check out your photos Alan.

It never goes away, but some days are better than others.  I still think about my stroke every day I wake up and touch the ground.  It can be preoccupying.  My Doctor has diagnosed me as depressive and given my lousy antidepressants.  They are the worst. I took Effexor twice.  No more. It's all in my brain and I am still strong and intelligent.  I'm lucky I work an easy job. I don't want disability.  Anyways, I just felt like I needed to vent.  Best of God's Good will to all of you.

3 hours ago, magilla said:

It never goes away, but some days are better than others.  I still think about my stroke every day I wake up and touch the ground.  It can be preoccupying.  My Doctor has diagnosed me as depressive and given my lousy antidepressants.  They are the worst. I took Effexor twice.  No more. It's all in my brain and I am still strong and intelligent.  I'm lucky I work an easy job. I don't want disability.  Anyways, I just felt like I needed to vent.  Best of God's Good will to all of you.

Hi Magilla,

go ahead and vent.  after what we've all been through, I for one, am OK with you venting.  I've lucked out and don't get too depressed.  But I still suffer a lot of exhaustion many days a week - so much so that I can't even hold a job.  But maybe if I could find one that paid full time wages for about 1 hr a day effort I would take it. 🙂

On 1/1/2018 at 2:14 PM, smarshall said:

I must be feeling very negative today.  After 20+ years everything can still be exhausting for me.  I know regular exercise would help, but I have zero motivation. 

yes to regular exercise! I started at the gym in may, couldn't hardly do anything the first time there , then it got easier and after a week of trying I could do most all the machines, and now I go daily, splitting the days into upper and lower body workouts, I even use my affected  arm to push down on the seated tricep  machine,I always start light then when I can do 15 reps comfortably, I move up 5 or 10 more.

It has helped me tremendously with regaining muscle and strength, and made my left leg considerably stronger.I do crunches and stretching on the carpet when Im home.

i cant let this thing beat me, I also do tai chi with youtube videos....gotta move....

On 9/4/2018 at 11:45 AM, stockflyer said:

looked at your photos.  Really nice.  Is that you and your wife at the Escobar?  I also see you eyeing the McD's

yes escobar was quite good. We lucked out on restaurants over there,

On 9/23/2018 at 9:47 PM, Elliott4th said:

Hi Alan, Thanks for sharing.  My husband had a February 26 and has left side hemiplegia.  He is getting stronger and walking much better using a quad cane, but getting the arm and hand working is a much slower process.  We had often talked about going on a Viking Cruise and I had sort of given up hope, but  seeing you do it brings back the possibility.  Thank you.

the crew really takes care of you,,,they especially watched out for me and suggested thing we could do as accomodation for my limited walking. 

I have a great cruise agent if anyone is interested in one.

Alan does the google photo storage thing cost much?

I am using Dropbox but find it rather dear.

My left leg is, and has been, messed up for more than 16 years now.  I think about it every day I walk on it.  I walk much more slowly and am very careful around steps and stairs. Sometimes, this affliction makes you think you are on your own in this world.  And to some extent it is true.  But that's ok, we inspire ourselves. Getting older makes me thankful for all I did in the past. I miss it, but I still enjoy life and live it fully. I truly believe weight and exercise are the single most significant things we can control. And let's face it, I am now an addict. Albeit, it's an addict to insulin, but that is not gonna change.  I can't run, I can't fix things and my sexual prowess is nothing compared to what it once was.  But those are all excuses.  I still love people and life and want to carry on with that firmly in my mind. Take care, God Bless and get out what you put in. Life is Short.

I understand your comments about your leg. Mine is the right leg and I'm in my fourth year as a survivor. My affliction is not as serious as yours but I have to take care all the time, running is out of the question and my clumsiness has resulted in some near misses with accidents. I can climb up and down stairs now with aplomb (but not ease!).

Regards

Deigh