•  

I made a plan a few weeks ago to improve my talking skills by learning a new language. Maori language lessons are readily available via a local TV station. I started last week but have had to give it up because I can't remember the words I learned the day before! I may try again sometime but am pretty discouraged.

Deigh

Deigh that sound like a great idea. I'm sorry to hear that the memory is not co-operating. What did you do on the day of the lesson to reinforce the learning? can you repeat the days lesson several times by accessing catch up tv services?

And/or take really good notes?

Is that the language spoken during the Haka?   

If so I am interested to learn. I can join my guys on the pitch. :grrrrr: ( my intimidation fight face) 

Keli, Yes, that's right. It is a fairly primitive language and has to use adopted words from English. It can be very flowery since it is used mainly for traditional greetings and speeches at Pa meetings. It had no written form but the early missionaries put it to paper. This means the spelling is very easy because it is completely phonetic! The one problem with this is that the sound 'F' is used a lot in place names and this makes a lot of places sound like an European swearword. They overcame this by changing the 'F'  to 'WH' (which is nearer to the actual sound made by Maori speech) and we are now handicapped with place names like Whakatane and Whangerei!

It is the Maori TV channel putting out the learning programme, the language was discouraged and even banned for many years but now the country is keen to revive it.

Deigh

18 hours ago, heathber said:

catch up tv services?

No, I got pretty discouraged and didn't even try. This doesn't mean I wont have another go sometime but my present brain does not like tackling problems the way the old one did, and I have to live with this.

I was quite pleased that I managed to re-learn how to do the rubik's cube!

Deigh

Aotearoa

Got it right mate...!

I'm so happy you're doing this.