•  

scottm

Apparently I have lexia

After 3 years they finally diagnosed my reading difficulties as alexia or acquired dyslexia. My problem and what took so long is that while I have trouble reading because of my eyes hopping around numbers are where I fall down badly. I've been taking a navigation course and struggling and making silly mistakes. Was talking to the therapist and she suggested some tests. Turns out I can't read a sequence of numbers properly. They get all jumbled up and out of sequence. Even if she read them to me and I wrote them down when I read it back it was out of order, although what I had written was not. 

So while I will continue with the class, it is all based on numbers and numeric notations on a chart. I've decided to forgo the final exam, there is no way I can do the 20 hours of chart work required even if it is open book if I can't understand numbers.:feeling-blue:

It is funny that you wrote this post as I tested with poor reading comprehension after my brain bleed.  But, in my case, it is due to my jumpy eyes and double vision. Even though I have prism glasses, I am reading (like this screen) on a curved plane.  And my eyes jump so it slows down reading.  I was also surprised how poor that I tested.  If I wear an eye patch, it makes it easier to read. I actually saw my measurements at the Neuro-Ophlmalogist where the physician is a researcher.  I participated in a study where I read a paragraph and they have a high speed camera and tracking device to record my eye movements.  The adnormal jerk reaction affects my reading.  

Another interesting thing is recall of watching movies. If I watch an old movie or TV show (pre-brain bleed), I pretty great recall of the movie.  However, I have been watching Netflix's recent shows (post-brain bleed) like Daredevil or Star Wars Rogue One, it is like watching it for the first time. I have to watch the show several times.

Thankfully my nystagmus has settled down some; I have to have large print, and decent reading glasses. (plus the occasional use of a magnify glass) 

I didn't know this until years later, ataxia can also affect eye movement.  That + nystagmus stopped me from driving.  I couldn't seem to focus on street signs. (Or anything for that matter!)  It's almost as if my eyes were/are trying to catch-up - if that makes any sense.

(My husband still gets a kick from TV shows and movies that he knows I've seen, but can't remember.) :rolleyes:

I can't even guess how many times we've had the 'we saw this, do you remember?' conversation. We usually move on to something else and I'll try to remember to go watch it later...:insane:

I can relate to your issue for I have almost the same. I found listening to books is fun, yet I often get sleepy :) My eyes bouncing and jumbled letters are :@#*%:

Reading Scott's letter gave me some interesting thoughts. We get a lot of 'old' movies on TV here and most of which I've seen. I can still see them again because there are big gaps in my memory, but an extraordinary event occurs when my wife and I discuss them. She swears she has never seen them at all. I find this rather disconcerting because she has not had a stroke or any mental problems except for a recent concussion problem. The only conclusion we can come to is that for many years she was active in amateur theatre and for a lot of this time I was on my own most evenings. It may be that I watched a lot of TV during this time.

Nowadays we watch a fair amount of TV together and quite often I have to turn to her to explain what has just happened in a murder investigation. Since we rarely watch anything live, everything except the news has been recorded so it is easy to press the pause button when I'm out of depth or can't think who has just re-appeared on the screen. 

I find my failures rather amusing and we have many laughs. The only thing I work seriously on is my aphasia which shows little improvement

Deigh 

22 hours ago, Deigh said:

The only conclusion we can come to is that for many years she was active in amateur theatre and for a lot of this time I was on my own most evenings. 

That sounds like she's a hardcase.  ( fun person) 

Ever read a post on here and then realize you don't remember when you wrote it...awkward.

ALL THE TIME.. FOR REAL 

I once said if I ordered something I often forget so when the FedEx truck comes..,it's like Christmas 

17 minutes ago, ksmith said:

ALL THE TIME.. FOR REAL 

I once said if I ordered something I often forget so when the FedEx truck comes..,it's like Christmas 

:happy: (nice to know I'm definitely not alone!)

Me too!

Or when I forget and order it again, and again, and end up with two or three of whatever I wanted.  Double/triple Christmas!

Scott, I totally get it, about commenting here and then thinking that a parallel universe me must have written it!