Countdown To Christmas!

•  

Ariel

90 day recovery window - myth?

3 hours ago, edkel1 said:

Strokes do more than take away hobbies.........they take away entire lives.

No kidding.  Hi Ed did you ever do any light therapy for the dizziness?  I bought one and it helped my dizziness quite a bit.  I had a constant headache but my neurologist has gotten is down to normal.  Been dizzy free and headache free (except a little) for about a year.  I still have issues with standing on trampoline and sitting in rocking chair, but I keep working on that and now up to 1-2 min at a time.  Way better than 1 sec when I started.

Race car, very cool.  I always wanted to do that.  Maybe we should start the Dizzy 500.  Or the 24 hours of La Diz.

Tell me about that light therapy, where to get it, I can walk and drive just dizzy with very little stamina

Look this up on YouTube

NHRA 2011 finals super comp first round and I was the first pair out in the far lane and you will see what I did as one of my favorite hobbies, sure miss the old days but have lots of memories to keep me from going crazy :crazy:

This is what is killing me I lost everything that I cared about as in hobbies and I don't have the release like I once did

Please stay in touch

Ed

Ed I had no idea! I grew up around drag racing. My dad and his group of friends were doing this every weekend at a little drag raceway in the next town. Mind you using muscle cars but I used to go all the time lol. Memories. I'm sorry you don't get to do your hobby anymore and I understand not getting the feeling from watching it. :#$%/!!:Stroke sucks!

Tracy

There is so much people don't understand............me included, it kills me every day. How do you get over these feelings ??????????

I am going to a therapist that helps with emotions and she put it bluntly pills for dispersion only mask the problem and not fix it, she is trying to help but it takes time and I have lots of bad memories of things that have happened.

Good luck everyone

Ed  

Ed I don't think there is a perfect answer to your question. There are so many elements that effect this process. I don't know if it is a finite process either. I know for me it is an ongoing process. Trying to figure out this "new" me as it's called is haunting many times. Some things that have helped me is being involved in my local stroke/caregiver support group. Stroke makes you feel so alone (at least in my case). I have trouble socializing...my stroke support group accepts me, socializes with me at my pace, listens, shares...it is one of the 2 things that felt ok if not good since the stroke when it comes to socializing (this website is the other). I feel like we are all connected in a way that I can't explain. I also feel really good about helping others...my thoughts and experiences seem to help others have a kind of hope and help to not feel alone. It is me giving back because I had so many who did the same for me. My cat "Kitty" is my go to for comfort...her purrs can calm me. I feel like I am on the right path to accepting things...I'm setting goals, looking ahead, not feeling so protective and defensive finally, I have a great team of Dr's, I also have a Psychiatrist that I see every or every other month, letting go of the pain I feel when I can't do things like I used to. I think being aware of what I can control is a big factor...accepting that a lot of things I can't control and letting it be ok. These things and more lift weight off of me and I can breathe...I can feel...I can allow feeling...one of the hardest and best things I'm getting better at is how my own and other people's expectations and thoughts of me effect me. Trust me everything I wrote above is different on a daily basis...not always good, not always bad...I've been on a journey of helping myself find sanity. It is difficult, takes time, isn't perfect, challenges me every step of the way. I've become stubborn 😁 this is a milestone! For my own sanity. I will never stop missing the "old" me. It can make me sad. I know I can't change what happened. I can choose to stay bound (which is what I feel like when I am without control) or accept what I can't change and slowly cutting those binds away. It's the difference between a helium balloon knotted up in a plastic bag to cutting off the top and letting it free to float up. Still very fragile but free to reach it's height. You feel lighter, freer, open to possibility. Your memories and accomplishments from the past have never been removed...I know it feels this way (please know that I am aware that some HAVE lost memories from their past...you are my friends and I admire your strength). New memories and new triumphs are before you every day. Grab them up. Hold them close to you. You are worth every one of them. Different does not have to mean wrong. Sending you hugs Ed...I know I really do...it's hard...very hard...I believe each of you is worthy.

On 11/2/2018 at 10:36 PM, edkel1 said:

Tell me about that light therapy, where to get it, I can walk and drive just dizzy with very little stamina

Look this up on YouTube

NHRA 2011 finals super comp first round and I was the first pair out in the far lane and you will see what I did as one of my favorite hobbies, sure miss the old days but have lots of memories to keep me from going crazy :crazy:

This is what is killing me I lost everything that I cared about as in hobbies and I don't have the release like I once did

Please stay in touch

Ed

Very cool.  Never been to a drag race.  Been to Indy 500, used to live nearby.  Been to dirt races, local races, nascar.  Formula 1 when it came to detroit a few year back.  And don't forget the demolition derby.  My dad would sometimes serve as pit crew on local races.  Got into pits a few times that way.

Regarding the light therapy.  I would start with learning what it is about and see if it fits your issues.  The book I read that introduced me to it was The Brain's Way of Healing: Remarkable Discoveries and Recoveries from the Frontiers of Neuroplasticity
by Norman Doidge

It has a chapter in there about light therapy and what it does, used, etc.  I decided I was willing to try it.  Now this may sound crazy, but I found a light system for sale my Kohl's and used my wife's 30% off coupon.   They can't sell it as a medical device without getting FDA approval, but as a facial thingy, no problem.  It was the

reVive Professional Panel Light Therapy System

I have to pay for my therapy sessions, so this was like 2-3 sessions so I figured I had nothing to loose.  I think I started to show improvement on my dizziness after about 3-4 days of using 2x a day.  I used it for another year or so before I felt I wasn't getting additional help.  I had one headache that lasted 2 yrs, 24/7 except for 1 day.  It helped with my headache to reduce the pain. 

There are offices that also do the therapy and it is probably better than my approach.

Hope you find the magic trick.

Please call me so we can chat about that light therapy and where to get it, i'm nearing the end of my rope

Please help