•  

After three years as a stroke victim I sortof know where I am going and am taking regular exercise to all my weak points to improve the situation. I don't think I have any surprises to come. I am a subscriber to three forums and take satisfaction from helping newcomers through their initial problems, as others helped me in my early struggles.

This is not proving easy at the moment, The Australian forum 'Enableme' came into being about two years ago and dumped the previous forum which was well used, replacing it with a clumsy unflowing one. Now the British forum 'Mystroke' has done the same there and set the system back some years.

That leaves this for the only forum I take part in and enjoy, but it has its problems and that is a shortage of newcomers. Despite USA having no reduction in stroke victims, they seem to be joining the organisation but not contributing to the forum. I think I may have the answer to this.

As a lurker one can read mail back for years and get all their comparisons this way. I'd like to change the rules so that a reader can only go back a certain amount of time (say six months) unless they have recently contributed. This could solve this problem.

Deigh

Hi Deigh,

Do you think people join this forum only to benefit by reading historical posts? I can only speak for myself. I joined because I desired social interaction with individuals who had suffered a stroke be it for mutual encouragement or for sharing experiences. When I first joined I posted a lot, however my participation was disrupted in 2015 when I broke my hip and was sidelined for a month. Now days I will interact if I have a response I think will be helpful but I will refrain from posting if a number of helpful responses have already been posted. This site is blessed with a number of members who offer wonderful insight. I usually visit the site late in the evening and most posts have already had multiple responses.

What if you start a thread specifically asking members who have not posted since joining or have not posted in a month why they do not post?

Or am I missing the point of your original question? I may be guilty right now of PWI, posting under the influence (Elijah Craig).

I must apologise if the content of my mail offended. I was feeling very frustrated and wrote it in the heat of the moment out of despair. It is obviously not the answer.

Deigh

Deigh,

The content certainly did not offend me. I simply wanted to understand your point of view and go from there. I enjoy reading your comments. You offer helpful insight with a nice sprinkling of wit and humor!

I would love to see participation increase, but I have no insight on how to make that happen. I'll at least try to participate more than I have the past year. I have some things to bring up anyway, so I'll start a new thread on an issue I've been trying to figure out for a while now. 

OK, I misunderstood your comments. No problem. But the basic issue still remains, I like to help people who have just encountered a stroke situation. I  remember well how confused and stunned I was in those first few hours and needed desperately to find answers that were not always forthcoming from the experts. This forum was the first I found and it gave me a lot of stability and knowledge in those early days.

Deigh

Deigh:

I am not active in forums though I am very active in blogs where I seem to follow story of survivor where post can get lost when new one comes up & its too confusing for my brain so I stick with blogs. I lam conflicted in giving barring users from using the site if they haven't used it for while.

Asha

Be it one day, one year, 10 years, 30 years - whatever, a survivor is a survivor.  I would like to think that someone with years of experience with this post stroke life may be able to offer some hope.  Longevity can be powerful.

:smile:

I like to tell folks :  No matter how long you've been a survivor, your input to posts or blogs maybe just that thought someone needs to hear.  I'm coming up on 9 years and I'm learning a lot from everyone still. I think , sometimes, I'm pretty set for my life but when someone brings up something they are struggling with , I'm reminded that I was once there and what advice I was given from others to get me through it. 

I know you weren't lashing out or stirring the soup with what you said but I appreciate your thinking for I'm sure more people feel that way.  I like to share with some, think of this as rehab..  we're here to help others to find their level and are happy and proud when you can continue living.. just know we are always here to hear about your success.

Go live life, but remember to share your Hakka , if you learn one 

Have you any idea why that was called the 'insane' Haka? It was certainly not a standard production, Tattooing was not originally prevalent and has just crept in over the last few years.

Tradition is very strong among Maori still. I have a guitarist friend who moved to Australia. His daughter drowned last Xmas Eve. She was cremated and they brought her ashes back here for burial to join her ancestors. Maori protocol demands that.

Deigh 

Oh no... Geez 

Part of it is likely Facebook. There are a bunch of active Facebook groups with new and veteran members and active discussions. A lot of folks are already on Facebook so those posts show up in their newsfeed and notifications, driving a number of robust communities. For many folks, there's no need to seek out and older style internet forum.  That may be why you don't see as many new members post actively here; they meet that need elsewhere. Penalizing new members to this forum by limiting access to the archives may be counter productive when they can just go to Facebook groups. 

I'm not crazy about facebook but would like to know of any addresses you can give me that are concerned with stroke. Much obliged!

Deigh

Thanks! I was going to do a search but you've saved me the time. :humming:

Cromely,   Thanks for that, I've applied to join a couple of them. Could't read any mail though, perhaps that will happen when I'm accepted as a member.

Deigh

I  think being a part of other groups can be helpful to offer as well as get new information. 

I had no idea there were so many on FB! Cromely, you may just be right. The convenience alone- of being able to access different groups from 1 place- may convince many to look no farther. When I first came to SN, it was like coming to an oais in the middle of the desert. FB wasn't as much of a phenomena then. Like Deigh, I'm not a big FB fan, but I still maintain a page there.

I have a page I maintain on FB and have tried a number of their stroke groups but found them all lacking one way or another and just dropped them after a few weeks of trying them out.

Facebook, to me, I don't feel comfortable sharing certain information for I can't trust it. That being said if it works for some people, rock on keep doing what you're doing to do you....boo boo lol

Yes, I recently tried joining a Facebook support group, but the first comment I posted, they displayed my full name with it (didn't give me the option of changing that) so I was out of there.  I don't want that much info on such a public forum, especially since (as I understand it, though I may be wrong) anyone with a FB page can search my name, and all my comments will pop up.  I'd rather think my comments were private within a group of people who understand where I'm coming from (strokewise) and that I am the one to decide how much personal info I want to share with a group of strangers.  (I stopped posting on my FB page when I realized that by talking to my friends about things like upcoming shows I was rehearsing, I was telling the whole world when my house would be empty and unguarded!)

4 hours ago, cons2g said:

Yes, I recently tried joining a Facebook support group, but the first comment I posted, they displayed my full name with it (didn't give me the option of changing that) so I was out of there.  

If it's a Closed group, it won't be searchable. and none of your friends can see it. It's very private.

Oh, okay, that's good to know, Benni.  I do still feel a little weird letting them decide how much info I want to hand out, but at least everyone on the whole planet isn't snooping in :-)

:smile: