•  

I saw a new (to me) neuro surgeon yesterday, he prescribed plavix and aspirin to  prevent further strokes since they saw two arteries with some restriction in my brain.what experiences have been had with this drug? i for one hate taking meds, now I am on four.        plavix,lisinopril, lexapro,lipitor.Thoughts? i am getting an angiogram in a month to check the arteries.

I've been on Plavix since my stroke since my stent and will be for life, in my case.  almost 9 years thus far.   Darlin' I wish I were on only 4.. Just prescriptions I'm on 10 or 11 

Kelli as my family would say "you must rattle when you walk" It makes me so glad that I'm only on the 2 drugs a day plus my daily magnesium supplement.

Alan I was on Plavix and asprin as part of my acute care when they were hoping it would help my damaged artery to heal open. In my case it didn't work and I no longer have a right carotid artery. After the artery healed closed I asked why I was still taking it and my neurologist agreed that there wasn't much point as other than that one artery which had failed they could see no signs that indicated I needed it.  So I chose not to continue with the "rat bait" although I do still take the low dose asprin and expect to be doing so for the rest of my life.  My question for your Neuro would be why both Plavix and Asprin?

I've been on both Plavix and low dose Aspirin since my stroke in July. My stroke was ischemic but they found no clogged blood vessels and I've never had high cholesterol. I think my doctor has me on both because they don't know what caused the clot that caused my stroke so they're trying to do whatever they can to just prevent another one. They don't know what they're fighting if that makes sense.  

I'd love to only have 4 meds, I'm at 12 but my stroke occurred as a result of emergency heart surgery side effects. I'm on warfarin or my daily Dcon as I call it. I'm happy with that because it is easily reversed in an emergency. Does everybody else wear a medic alert for your blood thinner?

What's the reference to rat poison about?

Warfarin is what is in dCON rat poison. It overdoses the rats and they bleed internally.

What fascinates me about facts like this is how the scientists made the conection. I mean rat poison and blood thinner is not even remotely similar, that I can see. So, how did they discover that what kills rats thins blood in humans?

So, we go from cows/clover to rodenticide to blood thinner. Those mutant rats sound scary. How fascinating!!! Who would've thunk? Thanks for a good read, Heather.   Becky

All this us crazy, which is why I hate med's, but have to be on some

If you notice, as we get older we get prescribed more drugs, they don't fix us they just maintain us and the drug company's are making a fortune in the process 

-yeah, did you also know that pharm. cos. have some of the largest lobbying groups in DC?

When you reach a certain point, 'just say no' is not an option. Sorry Nancy.:crazy:

The doctors benefit from prescribing drugs as well, so it's hard to know what their motivation is...

On 1/30/2018 at 2:07 PM, heathber said:

Kelli as my family would say "you must rattle when you walk" It makes me so glad that I'm only on the 2 drugs a day plus my daily magnesium supplement.

Alan I was on Plavix and asprin as part of my acute care when they were hoping it would help my damaged artery to heal open. In my case it didn't work and I no longer have a right carotid artery. After the artery healed closed I asked why I was still taking it and my neurologist agreed that there wasn't much point as other than that one artery which had failed they could see no signs that indicated I needed it.  So I chose not to continue with the "rat bait" although I do still take the low dose asprin and expect to be doing so for the rest of my life.  My question for your Neuro would be why both Plavix and Asprin?

Wow! Don't they have to open that?

On 2/4/2018 at 10:30 AM, scottm said:

Warfarin is what is in dCON rat poison. It overdoses the rats and they bleed internally.

DAMN!!!!!

In 2015 I had internal bleeding they could not find, they finally figured it was from the warfarin causing me to leak blood into my intestines, etc. Lost enough blood that my 02 was in the 80's and it took several units of blood to top me up. Hasn't happened again...

2 hours ago, scottm said:

In 2015 I had internal bleeding they could not find, they finally figured it was from the warfarin causing me to leak blood into my intestines, etc. Lost enough blood that my 02 was in the 80's and it took several units of blood to top me up. Hasn't happened again...

I've heard of that and the Doctors told me that was a possibility 

I was put on warfarin...11 months after my stroke...because the doctors didn't know what caused the stroke, so they figured they'd better cover their bases.  By the way, my cardiologist says my heart's in great shape.  Anyway, my recent INR had been steady at 2.7 for a few months (supposed to be 2.0 to 3.0), then in a few weeks it went to 3.2, 3.8, and finally 4.3 last week.  At 4.5, the protocol is "If you bump your head, go to the ER; if your stomach suddenly hurts, go to the ER; if your nose bleeds and won't stop, go to the ER" and so on.  In other words, your blood's too thin and you're bleeding internally.  Two days later, I was dizzy and then I started shaking (I'm diabetic, so I was sure my blood sugar was way too low, but I checked it and it was actually a little on the high side).  So I ended up at the ER.  They agreed it might be the high INR, so they checked that along with a whole bunch of other blood tests.  My INR was at 3.0, and everything else was normal.  Never did figure out what was going on, so they gave me some fluids and sent me home.  Could have been a big problem, but thank God it wasn't.  Kind of scary though, for a while there, especially for a drug (poison) no one's even sure I need to take.

When I was on Coumadin ( same thing) I looked like a giant bruise. Hated it. You looked at me ...bam..... football size bruise. So I can understand all the "If you get this...go to the ER" I was glad I was taken off .. But I'm so glad Lisa it wasn't anything major then..... scary

On 1/30/2018 at 5:07 PM, heathber said:

1. plavix and aspirin are recommended together.

I was on Aspirin before the stroke.  After stroke my neurologist added Plavix and kept me on aspirin.  At my last meeting she took me off Plavix.  Said based on my factors, studies show aspirin alone is just as effective and safer.  Who knows.

Have a great day!

On 16/02/2018 at 11:42 PM, JonJ said:

Wow! Don't they have to open that?

No JonJ I was worried at first but it turns out you can get by just fine with only the three arteries to the brain. There are 4 feeder arteries usually and they all feed into a ring that feeds the brain sections, so as long as the ring itself is OK you get by just fine with only 3 feeder arteries. It was fascinating to see the MRI done a couple of years after the artery closed and to see the way the others had all gotten bigger. The body and brain are quite adaptable when they have to be.

Yup.  My left vertebral is pretty much blocked by a dissection of the artery wall.  Blood flow through the others seems to make up the shortfall.  The blocked artery has a bunch more blood clots waiting to zip off into my brain, so if it stays blocked, I should be safe.  Problems may well come if it ever unblocks -- blood flow + blood clots + brain = bad news.  The medics all say that that is unlikely.

Regarding bruises -- I had a choice between rat poison and Fragmin (injectable sub-cut, twice daily).  The Fragmin left me looking like a pin-cushion crossed with the Valentine's Day Massacre, blood and bruises all over my stomach and thighs.

A bit off-topic, though