•  

So today I had my monthly stroke support group meeting, sure it's not near me but that rehab hospital and group members are my extended family. We were discussing going out and having outings , as a group, and we began to realize some of us get anxiety when out. I normally can't make plans and all the group knows I can't bank on my mental alertness day-to-day so they understand that I just come or not but many other survivors feel comfortable being around other survivors. But, even with the group around them, they have levels comfort around people. It has nothing to do with transportation or accessibility. 

Does anyone else have a difficult time?

Yes, indeed. I go out an evening once a week to my club for a beer and a game of pool plus chatter. I am not fully comfortable most of the time, I have to plan carefully my movements around the room to allow for sudden changes of direction by other users, knock me off balance and I'll end up on the floor! I also have to be careful of sudden shouts by merrymaking patrons (there's nothing quiet in a NZ pub, club or restaurant!). 

Despite these problems I enjoy it mostly and consider it a part of my plan to get used to crowds again.

Deigh

Yes, it is difficult getting out without reservation and desire to crawl back home.  What I find is making myself set appointments and even pleasure outings to help forward movement.  I love my work and if it were not for it, I would not leave the house without an emotional battle within.  Those daily chores help that as well, even having to get food to cook meals gets me out of the house on non work days or a doctor's appointment.  That last one does take huge reservation as I am getting more and more doctor phobic, especially since my doc of 30 years retired and I feel lost with this new facsimile.  

What I am reading, you have a group to go with and help with those challenges of being pushed off balance or whatever mishaps might occur.  We do not have such a group and I am jealous you have this wonderful fellow humans who understand what you have been through.  that is wonderful and hope you can continue to partake.   Hopefully, you will begin to treasure these times for you joys in life.  Like Deigh with his croonies.  ( I hope they start pushing to the floor as that is not good.  Perhaps you need to put on a sign saying, "no sudden movements."  Getting too old for falls, don't you know!)

BTW where is the spell check on this site as my spelling is getting worse and worse?  I have more anxiety on computers lately.