•  

Mark

Pain in leg and foot

Every since my stroke from time to time I have a lot of muscle spams and cramps in my left foot and leg. My doctor has prescribed pills that helps trouble is you are supposed to take them 3 times a day and they give you dry mouth something terrible and make you sleepy. I already have fatigue so don't really want to add to it if I can help it. Does anyone else have this problem which mainly occurs in the evening or night and what do you do to prevent it. Driving me crazy. Thanks for any help on this matter. Mark

I can empathize with you completely about terrible dry mouth.  I hate it!  :grrrrr:

Hi, Mark, sorry no one has chimed in here with similar problems to what you're having.  I don't have that specific problem, but I do have neuropathic pain on the left side of my body, especially in my leg.  When I spend too much time walking or standing during the day, I pay for it when I lay down at night.  It feels like zaps of electricity in my leg and my leg shoots out and shakes.  Probably looks like I have restless leg syndrome, but it's the pain from overdoing it during the day.  It's so frustrating to be ready to lie down and relax, only to have your leg start going crazy!  I can at least sympathize with what you're going through, even if I can't offer any suggestions.  I also know about the fatigue and "who-wants-to-take-drugs-that-increase-the-fatigue" syndrome.  I was filling out a form the other day that asked if I suffer side effects from any medication I'm taking and if so, what are they.  I wrote that I'm on so many meds, who can tell anymore?!?

Actually, it just occurred to me that before I had the stroke, I used to get leg cramps at night when I was dehydrated.  Also, muscle contraction is controlled by calcium, potassium, and magnesium, so if any of those are low, it can cause cramping.  Is it possible that you've had some dietary change since the stroke that could be reducing some of these things?  Or that you're in a cold wintry place and have Vitamin D deficiency, which also reduces your calcium?  Maybe it's that simple - wouldn't that be great!

Good luck to you!

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 4:23 PM, Mark said:

Every since my stroke from time to time I have a lot of muscle spams and cramps in my left foot and leg. My doctor has prescribed pills that helps trouble is you are supposed to take them 3 times a day and they give you dry mouth something terrible and make you sleepy. I already have fatigue so don't really want to add to it if I can help it. Does anyone else have this problem which mainly occurs in the evening or night and what do you do to prevent it. Driving me crazy. Thanks for any help on this matter. Mark

I take Xanex and that helps with my spasms at night.

Cons2g -- Well I live in Tx so most of the time warm did go to the Doc yesterday for some blood work maybe he will come up with something. Thanks.  I'll give it a try -- Thanks Kelli

Zane suffers spasms, cramps n nerve pain 24/7  down his, left side, mainly arm hand, leg foot but like you all ,once he's in bed trying to rest it gets worse .we recently purchased a TENS machine. you .put sticky pads on limbs and smalls electric currents pass through, helps for short-term, Zane loves it even if its a temp situation. because as you say so many meds, to take hate the groggy feeling.

12 hours ago, Debz64 said:

Zane suffers spasms, cramps n nerve pain 24/7  down his, left side, mainly arm hand, leg foot but like you all ,once he's in bed trying to rest it gets worse .we recently purchased a TENS machine. you .put sticky pads on limbs and smalls electric currents pass through, helps for short-term, Zane loves it even if its a temp situation. because as you say so many meds, to take hate the groggy feeling.

Is the pain like a really bad sunburn, tingling and pins and needles? 

I just wandered in this thread. I can relate to so many things. I am relieved there is an explanation for what I too suffer. ok not explanation. But not only me. I say all the time that if I stand or walk too much.then I pay for it. I need a day off after a day out. I feel like they view me as Lazy. But I get zaps, spasms that grip.just grip and hold. Then when I stand or walk, the leg buckles like it refuses to work.

I feel fatigue , I have involuntary movements, and leg pain. My pain seems like restless legs only because it is nights when I suffer but it is not that. It is CPS.

There are many things they simply do not attribute to a stroke issue because they have not done research to document what we know to be true.

I personally find that only time and rest helps ease the increase in pain. I am careful about amount of exercise I get and I just listen to my body. I trust what my body reveals. And resting,elevating not using those muscles for short period the next day and then I go out again. suffer again. Standing in line does hurt me later. I have asked people to save my place behind them. This usually works.

I do what it takes to survive.

Pam, Have you ever used one of those walkers that has a seat built in between the sides? I was thinking that you could sit down on your walker seat when standing in line got to be too much on you.   Becky

I don't have these same issue but like someone said earlier if I do too much I pay for it and that usually begins when I lay down for bed. I know many of you have the neurological pain like Pam talks about and Steve. I have some neurological pain that I had before the stroke and continues so I know how unrelenting it can be. I wish I had an answer but I just want to say that I hear you. Hope you find some relief.

I got an email saying that SassyBetsy had written something on this page, and as I was reading what she wrote, I thought, "Wow, I can really relate to what she's saying!"  So I logged in here to look at what else came previously on the page, only to realize that she was responding to something I had written back in March.  No wonder I can relate! :oops:    :lol:

I agree about that whole standing in line thing - hate it!  Just checking in at the doctor's office, I can be standing there for 10 minutes sometimes - way too long.  I suggested to the people at the Pain Clinic (the front desk staff and my doctor) that they put a chair at the check-in desk (there's tons of space there, it wouldn't be in anyone's way), but apparently they think I'm kidding.  Shouldn't they of all people get it?  Oh, well...

I have one of those walkers with the seat, but the problem is that it's like wrestling an octopus to try and get it into the car, so I never take it anywhere with me.  Guess it's not doing me much good!  So yes, I do what SassyBetsy does and ask the person behind me to hold my spot so I can go sit down until it's my turn.  People are real nice about it.

Yes, leg spasms are a pain...literally. 

They are kind of worse leading up to the spasm, not the actual spasm.

And yes, worse if I've been on my feet during the day.

I'm on baclofen for the spasms.  The meds make them bearable,  but don't get rid of the problem unfortunately. 

6 hours ago, cons2g said:

I have one of those walkers with the seat, but the problem is that it's like wrestling an octopus to try and get it into the car,

My wife has recently purchased a seat/walking stick for me. I use it when in public places when I might need a seat. It is a bit clumsy for walking but extremely useful for a temporary seat.

If you are interested I'll add a photo of it, they would be available in a shop near you.

Deigh

Another option for when you go out- a scooter! I've driven one, and they're quite easy to operate. But, if turning it down aisles bothers you, park it where you can see it, and walk down the aisle. When you're thru ,make like The Lone Ranger, mount your scooter, and drive to your next destination. Some can be folded to fit in a car. All you need is a doc's prescription, and insurance will cover.   Becky

Very true! I am a driver in the night or when I go to large stores (dizzies:crazy:) but....I have lol taken out end caps or hanging things, or back into things. :hi: I'm always ok and so are the less fortunate. Always tell my mom I need a license to drive one. It has been a life saver at times though. 

I love my scooter so much,  his name is Henry. He's part of the family. 

He's a big boy, so I leave him at the front of shops and walk in the shops.

The beauty of Henry is that I don't have to walk between shops. That's awesome, because that makes the difference between getting town jobs done or not.

Our dog is nearly 11, and loves sitting between my feet on Henry. If she's a good girl I'll take her to maccas for a hamburger (no onion no pickle) on our way home. Of course she knows this, and is always a good girl.

Oh I had almost forgotten about Henry. This makes you brave Janelle and cool. Way to go!!

Mark I hope you have had better days with your leg pain lately. Do you feel it is nerve pain? I'm thinking so...at least when I have experienced especially at night it has been nerve pain. Something about resting the body in my case set it off. Are you taking anything for nerve pain?

Deigh, I know just what you're talking about.  I lean so heavily on my cane as it is that I don't think I could handle having the awkwardness of the seat attached to it (I can't even carry a bag in the same hand as my cane because it throws me completely off balance).  

I love the scooters - I use them when I go to the grocery store because I just don't have the stamina to walk through the store, even with a cart, then go home and put everything away.  When my 14-year-old nephew was visiting here last Christmas and we all went to the grocery store, he told me, "When I grow up, I'm going to have a stroke so I can ride the scooter around the grocery store!"  Yes, don't worry, he was kidding.  He's a funny guy!  :-)   I actually inherited my dad's scooter when he passed away a couple years ago, but it just sits in the garage because there's nowhere near my house that I need to go, and I can't load it in the car to take it with me.  I've just gotten real good at ordering things online!  Then I don't have to fight the crowds in the stores, or worry about how far from the door I'll have to park, or will it be raining, or is the parking lot icy, or are there stair steps, or where is the thing I need once I get in the store (how far from the front door and will I go right to it or wander in circles looking for it), and all the million other things I used to take for granted.  Let's hear it for UPS!

Cons2g, I'm hearing you regarding online shopping!

The postie asked me if I had been unwell once, as we hadn't ordered for a while!

Unfortunately my town is losing so many shops due to online business, so I try to shop local when I can, but it's easier said than done. 

yep pain on left leg and foot shocks burning etc....still going on for 8 years, esp when tired or under stress....now trying cbd oil...seems to help at night...and it's legal here in canada

Please rate your pain level before and after using CBD oil and how long does the pain re-leaf last, what pills were you taking to aid in reducing pain

Ed

right now i take .2 mll oil under my tongue in am,then take .3 before dinner......during the day i still get some pain,but i'm busy....now i get a full nites sleep 10-8, with no pain  that is what is good .can sleep now

That's good but please rate your pain before and after using CBD