•  

I started teaching myself Spanish before I had my stroke, but fell away from it after a couple years (very part-time, I wasn't all that advanced, could only talk in present tense).  Then, after my stroke, I decided I had all this time on my hands, so I picked it up again.  But because of financial hardships, I didn't have any money to spend on more learning materials, so I've just been making do with free programs online and the materials I had already mastered earlier.  I love the idea of being able to rattle off a conversation in Spanish, but I'm just not getting there.  I hit the point where I had to start doing more advanced conjugations of verbs, and I'm completely overwhelmed by all the memorization!  Plus, the best free website I've found is really only a series of quizzes - it doesn't really do the teaching.  I can look at answers and look up things on other websites to teach myself (I'm pretty good at grasping language structure, grammar, spelling, etc.), but I'm only getting vocabulary that way and not much in the way of proper syntax or the subtleties of words and phrases that native speakers would know.  The fun has gone out of it, and I've dropped it again, but I really would like to learn another language (besides English), and Spanish seems easy and useful (plus I pretty much rock the accent :tongue:).  So to sum up:  (1) Memorizing all the verb conjugations is driving me nuts! and (2) I need more guidance than just a vocab list.  Anyone know of some fun (and cheap/free) ways to get past this?

Before my stroke, I was in France on business quite often usually for weeks at a time.  I understood what people were saying and I became pretty good at ordering dinner.  I could not hold a conversation in French, though, but I could order your meal for you! 

BTW, I was in Toulouse, France on business when I had my stroke. 

I started learning Spanish, 3 years ago, because Hubs liked to winter in Cuba. I use the program called Duolingo, and am happy with it. I'm on my 3rd round of re-learning through the program. I can remember what a word means when it is written. Some I remember when I hear it spoken - slowly. My problem is retaining the info, but I was like that pre-stroke.

Just before Xmas I had a great idea, I would learn another language just to make my mouth exercise on new sounds. I decided on Maori not only because it is local and current but because it is put out for free daily on the NZ Maori channel in an effort to make more Maoris use it. My idea didn't last very long. When I tuned in for the second day I realised I had forgotten the previous day's lesson! 

Deigh       :hmmm:

Hi all!

On ‎3‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 5:26 PM, smallory said:

I was in Toulouse, France on business when I had my stroke.

As if having a stroke wasn't bad enough in and of itself!  That must have been horrible, being so far from home, and trying to work with a foreign medical system.    My heart goes out to you (even though it's been many years ago).

17 hours ago, Benni said:

I use the program called Duolingo, and am happy with it.

I love Duolingo!  That's the main online piece I use, but I quickly discovered it isn't actually teaching, it's quizzing.  I am constantly going to other websites to look up conjugations for verbs or trying to find rules about how to use certain words, and then I'm stuck with memorizing reference charts in order to gain vocabulary.  It's a lot of work!  I would love to find some way to make it all easier.  Right now, I stepped away from Duolingo for a few months, and since I've recently come back, it's working differently than it used to.  I used to be able to choose which level I wanted to work on (reviewing, strengthening, or learning something new), but now it just gives me the option of clicking "Strengthen" and it chooses which level I'll work on.  Also, it doesn't tell me what we're working on until I finish the quiz.  I don't like it this way!  I wonder if I'm doing something wrong or missing something when I go there.

9 hours ago, Deigh said:

When I tuned in for the second day I realised I had forgotten the previous day's lesson! 

Hehehe...that's why I had to quit ballet lessons when I was young.  My mom wanted me to practice at home during the week, but I couldn't remember any of the dance steps without a teacher or something written down.  I'm still bummed about it!  Oh well, at least this way, I didn't lose years of dance skills to the stroke (always a bright side to everything)!

5 hours ago, cons2g said:

Hi all!

I love Duolingo!  That's the main online piece I use, but I quickly discovered it isn't actually teaching, it's quizzing.  ... I've recently come back, it's working differently than it used to.  I used to be able to choose which level I wanted to work on (reviewing, strengthening, or learning something new), but now it just gives me the option of clicking "Strengthen" and it chooses which level I'll work on.  Also, it doesn't tell me what we're working on until I finish the quiz.  I don't like it this way!  I wonder if I'm doing something wrong or missing something when I go there.

HHmmm, things must have changed. I've been away from it for a couple months. I'll have to check it out.

I once was able to rattle French off like English and understand some Spanish & Italian.... now since my stroke I just smile and  MAYBE understand one word out of a sentence :)  I find I do cryptograms more now. 

I haven't tried it myself but some of my friends use "Babbel"

On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 1:24 AM, cons2g said:

I stepped away from Duolingo for a few months, and since I've recently come back, it's working differently than it used to. 

Benni - I have to correct my previous observation about Duolingo.  Must have been a glitch that day I went on there, because tonight it's working perfectly.  Pshew!

Heathber - Yes, Babbel and Rosetta Stone are both very popular.  Unfortunately, they're also expensive (about all I can afford right now is free!).  Wish I had the money - I'd love to try either one of them!

7 hours ago, cons2g said:

Benni - I have to correct my previous observation about Duolingo.  Must have been a glitch that day I went on there, because tonight it's working perfectly.  Pshew!

:happy:

Cons2g do you have Netflix?

I have watched Velvet and Gran Hotel, plus some others.

All in Spanish.

It may help?

I'll have to look for those.  They sound interesting.

I do have websites I use that have Spanish sitcoms just for beginners, but I'm lost most of the time, even with the English subtitles below, because it goes by so fast and I don't have the verb conjugations to understand fast enough what they're saying.  Also, there are all the little nuances of word order and slipping in extra words that don't translate literally, and those seem to elude me.  If only someone would just write out the rules, I would follow them!  Life is so wonderful when we all just follow the rules!  (says the person who makes her living as a creative musical artist).😉

Holy update, Batman!  Lots of new emoticons to choose from!!

All the best with it.

I certainly don't have the patience for a second language!

Janelle, me either. I mean I used to could speak a bit of Spanish but today I am doing great just getting English lol. 😨

On 4/2/2018 at 2:24 PM, cons2g said:

Hehehe...that's why I had to quit ballet lessons when I was young.  My mom wanted me to practice at home during the week, but I couldn't remember any of the dance steps without a teacher or something written down.  I'm still bummed about it!  Oh well, at least this way, I didn't lose years of dance skills to the stroke 

Cons2g, I gave up ballet when I was about 8, as I felt too tall and gangly, no where near as graceful as my friends.

I did, however, tap dance for 35 years.  It still makes me sad that I can’t dance in noisy shoes. (That’s what I used to call them, apparently) Oh well. It is what it is.