•  

tomorrow I take my 1st flight since i had my stroke in May 2013, see how it goes.

Good luck, and don't forget to have fun!   Becky

The doctors told Ray he couldn't fly in 1999 with his two major strokes. Then in 2006 our daughter and family moved to Cairns and we decided it was worth the risk and had some lovely winter breaks there with family. The awkward part was pushing the wheelchair as I had to cope with our bags and the chair but we managed and it was worth it because it was a way of spending timers other our grandkids.

Banjo I hope the flight went well and you enjoy your trip! 

Sue I know it's too late now, but I'm going to put this in for others. There are airport/airline staff available to assist with pushing chairs and managing bags in the terminal when you travel with a disability, you just need to request the service when you book your tickets.

Heather our experience of traveling "travel assisted" were mixed, often no wheelchair came to the plane so we disembarked late , well after everyone else did. On one memorable occasion the flight crew came up behind us and one of the pilots pushed the wheelchair. 

Depending on others to look after us never worked for me although others in our stroke recovery group praised one or another of the airlines for good service. And similarly for cruise lines my advice would be always ask for help and have a Plan B in place in case that does not happen.

Good luck. I did this last year and was also nervous but when I did.. I love it.. Have the best time 

Hi,

I've taken a bunch of flights since my stroke, (1996) I always do my reservations by phone, tell them I'm disabled, and ask for "bulkhead seating."  (No seats in front of you, and more room.)

Have fun!

all went OK, qantas at Sydney airport used an Eagle lifter to get the from my wheelchair to the seat, Manila i was man handled to a wheelchair, and as i was flying business class i could lie flat thus decreasing the pain i get in my right leg

Glad it went well, Banjo.

The thing I find, is that the airlines usually find the shortest, thinnest, tiniest girl they can to push my wheelchair.

Big girl here, does not feel comfortable with that. I much prefer Wayne to push me.

Although saying that, there is a woman amongst you Americans who has a very bruised foot due to Wayne’s driving skills! To be honest, there are only so many times you can literally scream Excuse Me, before the ignorant among us get what they deserve.

10 hours ago, GreenQueen said:

Glad it went well, Banjo.

The thing I find, is that the airlines usually find the shortest, thinnest, tiniest girl they can to push my wheelchair.

Big girl here, does not feel comfortable with that. I much prefer Wayne to push me.

Although saying that, there is a woman amongst you Americans who has a very bruised foot due to Wayne’s driving skills! To be honest, there are only so many times you can literally scream Excuse Me, before the ignorant among us get what they deserve.

Sydney Qantas got me to drive my electric wheelchair onto the plane before they used the hoist to get me to my seat, Manila i transferred to a manual chair in the business class lounge and a man pushed the chair to the gate, had to go via arrivals as there was steps in the normal way.

I'm so glad it went well and I hope you had a good time. I haven't flown since my stroke but I lovvveee to. I'm so glad they really made great efforts to assist you. Sue I'm so sorry that your experiences weren't always accommodating. They should be. Janelle you crack me up! We do use that phrase here btw.

On 8/25/2018 at 2:20 AM, GreenQueen said:

Go for it! Sometimes you have to sharpen your elbows!