•  

PaulNash

I agree but I'm an Electrician and 90% of my work is in the trash and recycling industry and when something goes down it shuts down there entire plant, time is critical and down time will cost them a minimum of $20,000-$25,000 per hour not to mention the cost to catch up as in overtime then there is my balance and how much slower I am now besides sometimes I look like i'm drunk and I cant risk getting hurt. Its dirty work but I am good at it but ,cant do what I once did.  

Ed I get that that sucks, but if you can't do what you once did you need to look at moving sideways somehow.  I was a Network Design/Technical Support Engineer before my stroke, and when I first went back to work we found that my scanning issues were causing me to make mistakes and nearly all I did had to be double checked by a colleague which was annoying both of us and slowing the work down.  So I got my Project Management skills formally recognised and I'm now working in customer reporting and administration for the customer support area of my company. My background knowledge in network engineering and technical support helps me to be more useful to the team than a standard admin person. So we all win. (Although it is a little less take home $, which is tough sometimes) Over time and with practice my scanning has returned to nearly normal but I enjoy this work and would not go back to the other job now.

Life changes you roll with it, the only way to go is forward.

-Heather

Hey Ed

Don't know all the details of your stroke deficits or work, sounds like a tough situation.  Can you supervise other techs?  Or look for work in a slightly less downtime-sensitive industry?  Right now I'm looking at switching a bunch of my time into lower-stakes work (office networks, residential, and so on).  It'll cut my income, but make life easier.  I'm also looking at home reno's and painting -- bit of a change but easier on my brain.

paul