•  

scottm

Back to speech therapy

I'll be spending once or twice a week in ST for the next 3 months to see what they can do for my inability to process numbers. Her current thinking is I have moderate cognitive impairment and my problem comes from distraction. She thinks my brain is causing a distraction which is interfering with the processing of numbers. She thinks she can narrow down the location based on some math tests she gave me.

I wish you well with this.  Hoping it helps.

~Beth

That sounds hopeful. Keep us posted on what you find out.

best of luck, please keep us posted on how you do :)

I'm not trying to hi-jack the conversation but while we are waiting replies I wanted to say that I'm intensifying my attempts to improve my speech by doing mouth stretching exercises while doing my daily floor exercises. I'm also making sure that discussions between my wife and I are not allowed to drop into familiar, easygoing language and ensuring that I use good diction and articulation.

My monthly voice recording will show if there is any improvement.

Deigh    :@#*%:

Sounds like a great plan Deigh. I love your initiative to come up with new and helpful ways you and your wife can work together.

Thought I'd do an update. First I like the therapist, very friendly and patient with me. I'm still struggling with numbers but she has had a few insights for coping stratagies that seem to help. We both have no illusions that I will be doing serious math again but I should be able to handle +, - , maybe X probably not division. That part of me is likely gone for anything beyond very basic. For the time being I'm OK with this.

She does like to remind me that things go slowly at this point post stroke. I know that but it sometimes frustrates me when I can't add 7+9 and get the right answer. As she put it, I'm not dumb, I'm injured.

6 hours ago, scottm said:

I'm not dumb, I'm injured.

Very wise words. I need to remind myself all the time 

So true Kelli. Scott you know we are cheering you on on the sidelines.

my therapist told me to start gargling daily, as this activates the brain more than you would expect.         

Yesterdays session didn't end well. First I messed up on the divided attention exercise then we discovered I had forgotten how to multiply. I couldn't remember how, when to carry and what to do with it. I wanted to cry I was so frustrated. 18x4 isn't exactly complicated but it outwitted me.

I did have an insight last night as the wife and I had dinner and our weekly desert on pie night at the local diner. I realized while explaining to my wife my epic fail that perhaps my visual response to too much at once is like my reaction to sound and I just can't filter and separate the components. Essentially I see everything at once just like I hear a collection of sounds as 1 sound not collections. It produces a similar disorientation and lack of ability to process my surroundings. I'll try to remember to bring this up nest week.

Wow!  That is such a great insight.  I have something similar, with vey minor cognitive overload causing my thoughts to fall apart totally.

I'll watch out for that, but I think that you have nit the nail on the head.

Thank you.

Scott that may well be the issue. I know now that I have this very issue. Auditory and visual over stimulation. Many of us with posterior type strokes experience this and it can be severe causing an inability to mentally think (that's the only thing I can think of for the word). Oh process that's a good word. It causes more intense stroke effects and can make me very fatigued. Yep I'm a hermit now. :#$%/!!:I know that with sensory therapy it can be improved. But what you say makes sense to me.

yes, the isolation is intense.

How can you explain hoe you are processing ,experiencing the world. And are they sick of hearing from me how I live in the world.

In general I don't talk about it and several friends have observed that while they can tell I'm done and make allowances for that they have no idea what it feels like to me. Of course there is the other end of the spectrum who say they think it must be like when they've taken $DRUG, yeah, sure, that it, lifetime buzz...

I will go to my son's 30th birthday party next week, wearing earplugs and sit quietly in a out of the way corner.Yup, isolation is the word for things like that.

I'll give you a different although rather weird example of me. Ok some back story...My stepmom is a hoarder, a clean hoarder/collector and this is where I live for now (still in the process of disability). I stay in the front living room during the day if I am eating or watching tv. It is a disaster zone...I have my chair, a small table and the rest of the room is just filled with clutter and furniture covered with clutter (not trash really just stuff). I have learned to just go to my chair, basically anything else is an issue and for me a huge trip factor. But let's go back to visually seeing this room. My anxiety increases rapidly, I can feel the chaos, it confuses me, I get very emotional and it can cause me to cry, then I can't think, if someone tries to talk to me I can't communicate well, I almost want to close my eyes and cover my ears with my hands (and probably have), I stutter, I become very exhausted and need to lie down, sometimes I might feel nauseous, I want to clean it up but I can't even get past my reactions, my stepmom would totally lose it if I threw stuff away. So I just go to my chair and I avoid looking at that mess like the plague. I sit there with an imaginary wall between me and the stuff. This is how I cope on my regular day. BTW we don't eat at the table because it is covered with stuff. Ok I'm getting off subject a little lol I just can't get away from the stuff so it affects me everyday multiple times. I go to my room...it's my safe place. Do you see though how I physically react to more than my brain can process? I can't think about one piece of stuff...All I see is chaos and my brain just falls apart. Sorry for such a long story and I know it's different from numbers but I can bet that someone somewhere whose a survivor...their brain gets jumbled and can shut down or make it super strokey to see numbers.

Hey Tracy perhaps get small tv for your room?  Yes, I have problem with large chaotic space too, so much to look. I was this way before stroke. I always believed that classrooms are so over decorated that it overwhelms the senses and there is no focal point so how can children focus. You could spend weeks making discoveries around the room. I liked less is more, keep it simple. Now my system is hard to explain. Nausea, dizzy, loss of balance,in a visually loud room. Now my tiny space has walls covered. Open was empty,lonely. so then our dining room has the effect on me that makes it hard to maneuver the space visually,so i liked to sit in front look at fireplace and not all the tables in the room. But that space was reserved for the mens table. seriously. So I sat in the back,longer for me to walk,but I could stare at the wall. Now I usually eat in room except for party day.

Loud sounds I feel within my body, it is synesthesia. I am much better that 4 years ago,but it is there. I cannot tell people all that is happening not even doctors take the time to talk to me while I am experiencing stuff right then. I met my new cardio, I was scared worried so I was dizzy,new place, stress, she hovered over me as I sat,she stood shaking my hand,looking up at her, so her face circled moving around, and i looked down. my body language is misread because of this. who cares.

Good luck at party. Your wife and son know all there is to know and can help bring guests to you instead of you mingling in chaos.

numbers take mental agility and planning. it may not help much but seriously on line brain teasers can be a opportunity for your brain to practice  those tasks that make you hold stuff in memory, do spatial relations etc. maybe you lost the memorization stuff,so memory tasks can provide practice. and it is fun.

Anyway who needs mental math, we have calculator apps now!!

And when frustrated no thinking ever happens.

I went to Speech group therapy, and nurse here said why,you talk fine. omg. I go for language stuff,processing stuff,listening and not interrupting is something I practice. no one knows about brain injuries. period.

why, we are separated from real life so they never encounter us,no movies glorifying it. stroke is like alien area51.

But eat cake and you will not need to talk!

Scott I couldn’t 18x4 ever. Not then, not now.  Hope the therapy is improving for you.

Pam and Tracy I have been so ruthless since I’ve been disabled.  I collect porcelain birds. Used to have them all around the house. Now they are all in a glass cupboard.

I have a rule: if it needs dusting or ironing, forget it.