•  

I sat outside my patio at the table in a garden my room overlooks. I colored, dozed, fiddled on my phone. The sun,sea breeze, and sounds of birds was enhanced by being on the other side of the sliding glass. But outdoors is like I float in space on a tether. So I have some vertigo vestibular stuff. But it relaxes. I love my table,and they toss a blanket over it,and the chair. I should do this more often.

Does anyone use this as therapy?

I,too,enjoy sitting outdoors.  I have a table and chairs on my deck.  I like to go out and have a snack,read,and just enjoy the nature and peace.  It's wonderful therapy in my mind.

Yes I love just sitting out doors doing nothing but relaxing, here in California it gets quite warm and the sun makes it hard to relax but I just close my eyes  

I decided to try a little bit of gardening again this yr. So, I ordered some raised beds and plants, and hubby got me more of each. He put the raised beds together for me, and filled them with dirt.  So, now I have a garden on the deck!! The last time I tried to do any garden, it was the traditional way-in the dirt on the ground.  With my mobility challenges, it wa a nightmare.  My husband had to physically lift me from place to place because I couldn't reach the ground from my wheelchair. I thought my gardening days were over, until I found out about raised beds. They do make a huge difference. I could maneuver myself close enough to the plants to do whatever I needed-no assistance required!

Since my stroke, I cannot handle temp extremes- hot or cold, and it was so hot yesterday, that I actually made 2 attempts to plant. The first attempt failed, because it was just too hot. So I sat in the shade with hubby, waiting on it to cool off, while I had my first beer of the season on the deck. All in all, it was a relaxing day.   Becky

Becky

I too have a hard time with temperature swings, I wear shorts all year long here in so/cal and have a house in Lake Havasu City, Az and it gets 120+ in the summer and to be honest that kills me. One question what do you handle better hot or cold, to me I think I can handle the cold much better but either way it sucks but what do you do.

Ed

I really love sitting outside in the early morning or evening. Watching the wind in the leaves smelling the outside. Something I might not have done so much before my stroke...man I am glad I have learned the simple pleasures of this. I don't deal well with temps either. In the winter I a cold right down to my bones...I really hate this. I can handle summer heat in the evening or very early morning. Otherwise I am super glad technology has included heating and cooling for a long while...I am a connoisseur. :wink:

Your garden sounds wonderful! I imagine you could get some potted trees to give some shade during day. Yes rooftop gardens are the thing.

Yes 120+ outside just boils my blood pre stroke anyway.

I am best kept at70 degrees.

I enjoy been outside. Living in Florida, you have to watch when it gets too hot in the summer. I love when it is around 78 . I come from a cold climate country England, but getting older, my thumbs and knees hate the cold. In the evenings, I walk, then sit outside with my Husband, just chilling, enjoying Gods World :rflol:

Yvonne

Ed, your town sounds like my town! Hot! Thankfully we have a beautiful sea breeze every afternoon that cools things down.

I reckon Wayne and I will move down south eventually. Cooler summers and colder winters.

I feel best when I am outside, as long as my eyes are closed (spinning world).  I love the fresh air- and when it is sunny- the light and warmth.  Of course right now it has been at 32F for over a week.  Today its supposed to be warmer, I have a case manager coming at 1, I think she is useless (for what she is coming for) so I'm going to ask her to go for a walk with me, even if its just to the end of my block and back...that should take up her useless hour and then she can leave and I will have gotten to go out!

May favorite things to do pre-stroke were hiking, gardening, canning fresh food,hanging my laundry out to dry, shooting my slingshot (I used to be deadly with that thing!...lol) skinning roadkill deer and tanning their hides (eating some of the fresh and still good meat, too!) and generally NOT being inside.  So this stroke has changed so many things, my entire life style, really.   Of course, a long time ago I used to love to knit, and today I found one of the socks that I made for my son when he was maybe 2, I was fiddling with it thinking....well, its winter, and my hands need therapy, so if I can find the time between school, kids, a birthday party this week for the same little boy-now gonna be 8, an essay that needs written and so forth, I'm gonna pull out my knitting and start some socks!!!!!

I'm so glad you found a way to do something that you love again!  Just wait until you get to eat some of those fresh veggies and herbs, or cut some of those flowers!  What a joy!!!

I always enjoy reading this thread. 🙂 One thing I know about my stroke is that it slowed me down. I take notice and enjoy nature in a different way now. It's positive. Oh some things get in the way even so but I am glad my senses slowed down to take notice. I feel it's very therapeutic. Except for temperature extremes both ways...it's golden! 🙂🍁🍂🍃🌳🌱🌻🌼