•  

Hello all, I had a hemorrhagic stroke back in August of 2017 and I still get horrible headaches and my memory isn’t what it used to be. Is this something normal or am I just special? 

Hello

You have  found the right place to ask questions, every stroke is different and yours is just that your stroke where you need to find things that make your stroke easier to live with. 

No I get a headache once in a while but they only lasts a few minutes then they go away by themselves.

Ed

Everything my doctor has had me try only makes them worse. There’s days I can’t even get out of bed. 

I have read many articles about headache after stroke but it seems either you do or you don't have an issue a lot. I can't even recall any explanations. I too get headaches often but if yours are debilitating then it is something your Neurologist should know. Also, your brain needs ALOT of rest/sleep after a stroke...some more than others and a headache can be a sign of your brain needing to disconnect and rest. If I were you I would let my Neurologist know the severity and how often you re having headaches. Better to be safe.

You sound like me, do you have any other things going on like hows your vision, your balance or gate ................................

I wish I could help but I cant, see your neurologist and let him know maybe he can help you out

Good luck

Ed 

I’ve talked and talked to my neurologist and all I get is try this antidepressant..... it’s supposed to help with headaches. But unfortunately all they do is make my headaches worse and more often. Not to mention I end up having side affects like dizziness nausea to just mention a few. The last one he wanted me to try, one of the side affects is stroke. I don’t want another stroke. I feel like a lab rat. 

WELCOME  TO STROKENET! Having headaches after a stroke is normal for some folks. It's "normal" in that they don't mean something else is wrong, or anything like that. like Tracy said, you may want to inform your neuro.  Becky

To be honest that's why its called practicing medicine and every person is different and so is every stroke, I don't take anything besides 2  pills Meteformen and Glipride for II diabetes and one for my cholesterol and the funny thing it was between 98-102 before taking a  pill and having my stroke , now its 68. I am dizzy every day and I hate it but what do you do   

Isn’t that the truth...... practicing. The only thing I’m taking at this time is a blood pressure medication. Mine runs around 110-120 over 70-80. 

Ed I have issues with those same symptoms from my cerebellar stroke. Posterior circulation strokes seem to cause more of the headache thing afterwards I think. I know when I start getting a headache I usually will also have issues with dizziness, gait, vision...more than usual. I know it's time to lay down and close my eyes and sleep. Seems like a lot of sleep but I'm a firm believer that sleep is a very important part of stroke recovery. I feel like I sleep too much sometimes...But I have heard other survivors say the same.

Does anyone else have a metallic taste in there mouth? 

Tracy

I just wish my balance or gait would get better, I hate walking around like a drunk.

I sleep all the time, if I worry about something too much the sleepiness comes on and that's all I want to do or if I physical try to do a chore it wipes me out.......... 

All I want is to be left alone as most people have no clue what life is like after a stroke.

All stroke survivors have is time to see if we ever get better and i'm tired of waiting.............. 

No that I do not but give it time :concerned:

9 minutes ago, edkel1 said:

Tracy

I just wish my balance or gait would get better, I hate walking around like a drunk.

I sleep all the time, if I worry about something too much the sleepiness comes on and that's all I want to do or if I physical try to do a chore it wipes me out.......... 

All I want is to be left alone as most people have no clue what life is like after a stroke.

All stroke survivors have is time to see if we ever get better and i'm tired of waiting.............. 

I feel the exact same. Some days are worse than others 

Goe :

welcome to best online stroke support group. give yourself & your doctor time, he will soon find right medication for you, & you will realize there is life after stroke too, it will be just different not good or bad just different. Stroke recovery is marathon not a sprint.

Asha

Goe

How is your eye sight, I can read and drive but its not right, I still go to an eye doctor once a week and she has said i'm getting better but i'm loosing hope 

My eyesight is horrible. I’ve only driven a few times since my stroke, it scares me. I get anxiety in any kind of traffic. 

So do I but I just relax and take my time, I also drove a Top Dragster / Super Comp Dragster and I don't feel in control doing that any more, I also have my class A drivers license so I could drive my motor home along with my race trailer that is 76 feet long. This its something that I love but that's my life before this fing stroke got me. Like I said before most people have no idea what we go thru on a daily basis. :@#*%:

Ed 

Goe where in Wa are you, my best friend lives in Stanwood and I live in So/Cal

I also have a class A drivers license. I drove truck for almost 30 years. Scares me to even think of getting behind the wheel of a big rig. 

I’m in eastern Washington. North of Moses Lake

21 hours ago, Goe said:

Hello all, I had a hemorrhagic stroke back in August of 2017 and I still get horrible headaches and my memory isn’t what it used to be. Is this something normal or am I just special? 

Hello Goe. I'm sorry you had to go through what you did and still have horrible headaches. Have you talked to your doctor about the headaches? The memory issue is something that I can understand. My memory is horrible and short term memory can become very fuzzy. You are not alone with the memory issues. I hope to meet you in chat one day

I’ve seen several different doctors now and not a one of them can explain why I get such horrible headaches. They all just want me to take a antidepressant, nothing has worked only made the headaches worse and I end up with a slug of side affects. One of them made me so dizzy I took a couple of bad falls. I’m home alone all day and live 20+ miles away from the hospital and I’m not driving yet. Figured it wasn’t a good idea to continue taking medications that could get me hurt. 

6 hours ago, edkel1 said:

Tracy

Yes I'm right at my 3 year mark on July 5 and I deal with the same thing all the time. For now I realize that I really am a new me. I may never be the "old" me again so I do what makes me feel the best or at least try to. I am learning to overlook what others think or judge me about...you and I know they don't understand. Be kind to yourself and not so hard on your expectations when they are not exactly what you want. Try to be your best you. Something I did was to write a gratuity journal of 5 things each day I was grateful for. Sometimes it was because my kitty slept with me and I was not alone. It did help me to appreciate myself and appreciate the good still around me everyday. Coming to grips with something you have no control of and did not ask for Is hard...very hard. I hope you can see the good all around you during this time. 🙂

6 hours ago, Goe said:

I’ve seen several different doctors now and not a one of them can explain why I get such horrible headaches. They all just want me to take a antidepressant, nothing has worked only made the headaches worse and I end up with a slug of side affects. One of them made me so dizzy I took a couple of bad falls. I’m home alone all day and live 20+ miles away from the hospital and I’m not driving yet. Figured it wasn’t a good idea to continue taking medications that could get me hurt. 

I know after my stroke I have Nystagmus ( bouncing eyes) and they weren't level and that fraction off from level make me very dizzy and have headaches. I also had damage to my cerebellum and that also causes headaches.

Read this : https://vestibular.org/understanding-vestibular-disorder/symptoms