•  

According to my physical therapist I have vistibular damage. That has something to do with my inner ear I guess. 

Goe

So do I ,

They said they think they can make be better but no guarantees and the guy that did all my tests ( five and a half hours worth of tests ) was honest and told me this might be the new you, how do you handle that........ I need to start drinking  :cheers:but to be honest I don't like getting drunk, I just like making and fixing things.

Ed

I haven’t had any alcohol since my stroke. My head hurts 24/7 as it is....... not so sure I want to add a hangover to the mix. Although there are times I miss having a jack n coke lol 

Ed, I laughed when I red this, {"i SHOULD START DRINKIN"} because just a couple of days ago, I found myself saying the exact same words. I was trying to open one of those snack-size, little candy bars, only, it didn't want to be opened, and it was really resisting my efforts. I NEED TO ADD HERE THAT  I LOVE CHOCOLATE! And this little morsel was just that! Serious (and very frustrated) , I put the candy bar in my affected left hand so that my unaffected rt hand could devote all of its energy to tearing the da** wrapper! 

'The tactic worked, and 5 min later, it was all mine. Couldn't wait! But, when I looked at the candy bar, it was a squishy mess! This happened before- my lt hand has no feeling, so, it doesn't know how hard it's squeezing... doesn't even know that something is in it.When I saw the candy bar, that's when I said,  "I need to start drinkin".

Seriously, what did the doc say that he could do to correct your vestibular problems? 'Cause I still have problems with that, too.  Becky 

Becky

The place is called Newport-Mesa Audiology Balance & Ear Institute and the [person that did all my tests was Adam waters, Au.D.

he was the most honest person I have worked with, he said there are things to help my vestibular problems but he did say this mighty be the best it ever will

Hope this helps 

Ed

Ed, 

Where is that testing facility at? 

Goe

There in New Port Beach, Ca 92663 and there phone number is (949) 642-7935

I would like to chat with you too

Ed

We can chat anytime you want

Left you my number in a pm call any time

Goe, The memory loss is a fairly standard stroke problem, most of us have it, also the metallic taste. That I found soon decreased. the memory loss stays with me unfortunately. One thing we do not have in common is the headache. I got them fairly regularly before but now don't get them at all! Just a tightening around my eyes warns me that something is amiss!

The dizziness is also a variable, I had it before so it is nothing new to me, I have had to learn to rise slowly from a bed or even an armchair or am liable to suffer for three days with it gradually reducing in intensity.

Welcome to the club.

Deigh 

Deigh, Dizziness on changing body positions, particularly if you had it pre-stroke, can be a symptom of HBP. Do you take BP meds?

Thanks for info, Ed. Do you know what they could try? Becky 

My stroke started with a instant headache, the worse headache you can imagine. I remember grabbing my head and saying my heads going to explode. Then I remember nothing for 10 days. I was airlifted to Spokane and spent the next 10 days in ICU. I’ve had a headache ever since to some degree. 

Becky

You would need to come in for a full set of tests, mine took almost 6 hours. I don't think you are in so/cal ?????????

Deigh.... I never got headaches but after the stroke its right behind my right eye and sometimes my right temple but only lasts about 5 min max ????????????

Ed

I’m going in on the 18th for cognitive testing. I was told it takes right around 6 hours. Is that the type of testing you had Ed? 

My tests were for my balance / gate but they might share some of the same tests

Ed

Ed, 

I'm sure I’ll be getting tested for a bunch of things. I’m hoping to see when or if I can ever return to work. 

Goe

Have you applied for disability , you should try as I have been told that it can take months, Steve said the same thing to me and I was granted permanent disability in about 6-8 weeks, I personally would love top go back to work but physically cant.

The stroke took more that my ability to make a living away from me...................................................... It took away my soul and my life

Ed, 

I have 36 months of disability threw my work and I filed for SSI in February. They keep having me fill out more and more paperwork, it’s seems to be never ending. 

On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 10:34 AM, Goe said:

Does anyone else have a metallic taste in there mouth? 

I did for a while and that was getting used to the medicine. 

3 hours ago, Goe said:

Ed, 

I have 36 months of disability threw my work and I filed for SSI in February. They keep having me fill out more and more paperwork, it’s seems to be never ending. 

I have LTD through my old job and I still have to fill out papers 9+ years after. ( I just got some the other day)

I’m hoping I can return to work soon, but I’m terrified I won’t be able to. Who here has been able to return to work? 

I had my stroke 11-16-16 and spent 6 weeks in the hospital and another 5 1/2 weeks at CNS in Bakersfield because I could not walk without a walker but CNS got me walking again, I went back to work the day after I got out of CNS and that was 2-3-17 and to be honest it was hell, it has gotten a little easier but nothing like I once was, I will put it like this I am maybe 5-10 % of my former self  :@#*%:and that's on a good day.

I was an Electrical contractor and really can't do that any more as going up ladders is so hard, I had a class A drivers license to pull my rig and  race car around with and don't do that any more, I had a Top Dragster / Super Comp race car and don't know if going 185-190 miler per hour is a good idea as dizzy as I am so no I cant  do that any more so whats left, my wife has left and my son and daughter think I just need to go to the gym and get back in shape, boy are they lost.

In a nut shell I cant do what I once loved but that's not to say you wont get better.......... but just a word of caution be prepared if you can't its as close to hell  that you will ever get........ this can't be my final reward for working my ass off for the last 38 years or is it .

So now i'm disabled and do almost nothing because I get winded for taking out the trash, like I've said before I need to start  :cheers:

Ed 

I can function pretty well overall. I have a bit of balance issues and I can’t stay focused for very long. If I push myself to hard I’ll get a horrible headache for a day or two. I had PT yesterday and today didn’t do squat cuz of a headache. I feel once I can get past the headaches I’ll be ok. 

Call when you have a chance, I pm you my number