•  

Hi. Husband had MCA ischemic stroke 2/17.  Received tpa and then had it reversed for thrombectomy.  Had small hemorrhagic stroke from procedure.  Long story short, ended up left sided weakness, short term memory deficit, personality changes and no use of left hand.  Unfortunately 4 months post stroke had 7 minute grand meal seizure and has continued to have them periodically.  On a boatload of meds which cause him to be sleep and irritable.  Anyone else dealing with this?

Hi,
  I had massive ischemic stroke in 2000.  Exactly one year late I had a seizure.  Was diagnosed with "post-stroke epilepsy".  On two different medications and well controlled.  Seizurse were mostly visual(ocipital seizures)but so happy they are controlled.  All the best to you.

My husband had a seizure about 4-6 months after his stroke. It is apparently quite common, actually part of the healing process, brought about by the healing, though they aren't good, so they're generally dealt with with medication. Sometimes it's hard to find the right medication but they hit on an effective one right away for his and he has not had a recurrence. He is still on the medication and I sometimes wonder if it's still necessary.

I've not had seizure thank goodness If I did they would take away my driving licence again and I'd go really crazy.

But there was one lady in inpatient rehab with me who kept having seizures. In her case I believe it was to do with toxin build ups where the stroke had affected some of her liver functions. 

Barb i'd be very careful about taking your husband off seizure medication, you'd want to talk to him and his doctor about the risk/reward equation in your case.

Ellen it sounds like they haven't found a good medication regime for your husband yet, so keep asking until they find a mix that works for you both, medications have different effects for different people, each brain and each stroke is different so sometimes you have to try many things until you hit on the one that works for you.  Don't just accept a compromise solution.

I've not had them myself but just by reading the comments, can this be long term?

I think that anything that starts post-stroke can be short- or long-term, just like any other stroke affect.   Becky

I haven't had seizures either although they tested me (EEG) several times. I know this can start happening after stroke but that Is about all I know. My best wishes to those who are or have experienced this. Does anti-seizure medicine usually control this well and have the Dr.'s explained what this means going forward? A seizure can be scary just in itself much less after a history of stroke. You guys stay strong I hope you are receiving good answers and help.

I was on gabapentin, apparently I had one in hospital,but never did at home. I had a neuro specializing in epilepsy. Thankfully not a problem now.

personality changes may be situational or just a healthy response to this horror.

Your body is possessed and you hurt inside from it all.

Many things change in 1st year,so keep hope for recovering some things. Otherwise be aware this is a huge adjustment that takes time to heal.

Hopefully you have help and support and you can weather this together.

He is still him inside. Medication can help as well as waiting it out for the brain to sort out.

Remember love heals.

My wife has epilepsy.  I have the stroke.  She had a couple of seizures when we were dating and early in our marriage, then they finally got the meds sorted and maybe something changed in her brain chemistry.  Whatever the reason, seizure-free (but still on the meds) for about 25 years.

She still take the meds, though, just in case, but a very low dose.

Things neurological change with time.