•  

In the first few days of recovering from the stroke I had major problems with biting the inside of my cheek when eating. I believed it to be caused by the swelling of my cheeks and also the lazy face muscles. The biting causes more swelling and the only way to get that down is to not bite them again for a few days till things get back to normal. Giving up eating was not a consideration so I overcame it by swinging away from the table (Swivel chairs a must!) and chewed bent at the waist with my head horizontal and twisted a little left. 

This meant that gravity and the extra weight on my cheek pulled it away from my teeth slightly and this was enough to clear the danger area. It was a very untidy way to eat and I had to have a napkin on the floor to catch mishaps, but it did work and after a week or so I was able get back to normal civilised behaviour. 

In those early days I had to learn a lot of tricks to overcome the handicaps forced on me by my new disability.

Recently I've had a few more cheek biting mishaps and have had to resort to the old trick to make life comfortable and thought I'd pass the idea on to anyone else suffering from the same problem.

Deigh

In the beginning I had a lot of the biting incidents,but as I get stronger and more used to it they are now few and far between.  Thanks for the post.  I do hope it can help others.

~Beth

Not so much biting for me but I have a hole in my cheek for I end up wearing 80% of food or liquid 

On 6/20/2018 at 11:38 AM, ksmith said:

Not so much biting for me but I have a hole in my cheek for I end up wearing 80% of food or liquid 

me too, the floor on my left always is a mess after a meal.my neuro doc told me to start gargling with water nightly to

improve brain/mouth activity,and connection.Seems to be working,and he also said using the spin brush on my tongue would help as well.

my dog likes the way I eat and sits on my left side to catch the treats. 

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 8:48 AM, alansd said:

my neuro doc told me to start gargling with water nightly to

improve brain/mouth activity,and connection

I have palsy in my throat so if I tried that, I'd wear it or worse. swallow it...... yuck

The first time I tried to gargle water after my stroke I nearly drowned myself! But I can see why it would be a useful exercise which was part of why I tried it. I managed it a couple of times after that without ill effect but I haven't kept doing it.

Yeah I'm with you guys...gargling is a hit or miss thing for me :dumb:. Sometimes I get a gold star and other times I just get choked to death. It's not fun.

My mother in law always says to me “you’ve got some on your face”

REALLY?

yes I get that too, while most of my face has remobilised over time I don't always notice anymore if I get something on my face. I've gotten into the habit of using my napkin when eating out. And my family know to let me know if I miss a bit.