•  

Here in New Zealand it is mid winter but from my kitchen window when I'm doing the washing up (just to let you know I'm a well trained house husband)! I can see no less than nine different flowers (including roses) that are still in bloom from summer. There are lemons on a new tree which are nearly ready to pick. We are finding the weather cold with a few frosts but the native trees and bushes stay green all year round and the grass still has to be mown. Only the imported deciduous trees loose their leaves.  

We emigrated here fifty years ago, Initially we found the winters to be a bit of a joke. Now we take them more seriously!

Deigh

Wow Deigh it's definitely summer here and the heat is hot this year. Our winters look grey and dead with all the leaves that fall. Good thing I'd we do not have a lot of snow or ice. I can't imagine looking out my window to se blooming flowers much less a fruit tree here in the winter. I'm jealous! :confused:

I'm jealous, too. Last wk-end,  I planted some tomato seeds I'd forgotten I had, and worried that it was late to be planting.   Becky 

I moved to Canada from South Africa nearly 15 years ago.  Still miss the relatively balmy winters of my home-town on the East Coast.  Mid-winter meant wearing a sweater in the morningsand playing rugby instead of cricket.  Then I moved to Cape Town.  Winter meant getting blown over by South-East gale-force winds while walking down the road.  Or being flooded if you lived on the wrong side of the mountain.  We moved to Pretoria, where winer meant frost in the morning and dead plants because of no rainfall, but was bright and sunny and gorgeous.  Summer brought torrential rain in the late afternoon.

Now I live in Toronto. Summer tends to be hot and humid, winter tends to be cold and icy.  Or so I thought until we went to Newfoundland in midsummer, and found small icebergs stranded near our airbnb.  Now I understand why the locals call Toronto "Miami of the North".

However, the medical system works really well and the country is peaceful and law-abiding, so weather is a minor inconvenience.

However, the medical system works really well and the country is peaceful and law-abiding, so weather is a minor inconvenience.

That sums up NZ pretty well too. Sounds as though you lived in the Durban area, I know it well.

We have another great advantage over here, the people are easy-going and accepting of other races, I find they are also tolerant of people with disabilities and I find that personally a great asset. There is also no class system here and as an ex-Pom (Limey) I find that very attractive.

Deigh

When I visited New Brunswick in Canada several years ago it was I think July. I was surprised how warm and humid it was. The best things I remember is that it was so green. A deeper green than here in the south. It also felt as though the air was so clean. It was actually very clean period. I really enjoyed it. Deigh I can honestly say that visiting New Zealand is one of those probably won't get to bucket list items. Many places around the world are on this list. Sighs....oh to be a world traveler. :humming:

Don't give up on the travel dream Tracy. you never know where life will take you next.

Oh Heather I am not. You never know what your future holds! Until then I'll keep dreaming and enjoying. :humming:

Hi Deigh

Port Elizabeth, actually, about 600km South of Durban.  Beautiful weather (not as hot and muggy as Durban), windy and great waves for surfing.  I lived in Australia for three years, but never made it to NZ.  My closest friend in Aussie was a New Zealander, and my wife and one of my kids travelled there (many years after we were back in SA) for the Kids Lit Quiz world finals (the first year that Canada fielded a team, and they won!).  I'd love to go there, but time is short and getting shorter.

I was in SA for the World Cup finals between the Kiwis and the Springboks, when James Small effectively nobbled Jonah Lomu.  That game turned into an independence celebration, bringing black and white together in an amazing way.