Countdown To Christmas!

•  

Here in New Zealand it is mid winter but from my kitchen window when I'm doing the washing up (just to let you know I'm a well trained house husband)! I can see no less than nine different flowers (including roses) that are still in bloom from summer. There are lemons on a new tree which are nearly ready to pick. We are finding the weather cold with a few frosts but the native trees and bushes stay green all year round and the grass still has to be mown. Only the imported deciduous trees loose their leaves.  

We emigrated here fifty years ago, Initially we found the winters to be a bit of a joke. Now we take them more seriously!

Deigh

Wow Deigh it's definitely summer here and the heat is hot this year. Our winters look grey and dead with all the leaves that fall. Good thing I'd we do not have a lot of snow or ice. I can't imagine looking out my window to se blooming flowers much less a fruit tree here in the winter. I'm jealous! :confused:

I'm jealous, too. Last wk-end,  I planted some tomato seeds I'd forgotten I had, and worried that it was late to be planting.   Becky 

I moved to Canada from South Africa nearly 15 years ago.  Still miss the relatively balmy winters of my home-town on the East Coast.  Mid-winter meant wearing a sweater in the morningsand playing rugby instead of cricket.  Then I moved to Cape Town.  Winter meant getting blown over by South-East gale-force winds while walking down the road.  Or being flooded if you lived on the wrong side of the mountain.  We moved to Pretoria, where winer meant frost in the morning and dead plants because of no rainfall, but was bright and sunny and gorgeous.  Summer brought torrential rain in the late afternoon.

Now I live in Toronto. Summer tends to be hot and humid, winter tends to be cold and icy.  Or so I thought until we went to Newfoundland in midsummer, and found small icebergs stranded near our airbnb.  Now I understand why the locals call Toronto "Miami of the North".

However, the medical system works really well and the country is peaceful and law-abiding, so weather is a minor inconvenience.

However, the medical system works really well and the country is peaceful and law-abiding, so weather is a minor inconvenience.

That sums up NZ pretty well too. Sounds as though you lived in the Durban area, I know it well.

We have another great advantage over here, the people are easy-going and accepting of other races, I find they are also tolerant of people with disabilities and I find that personally a great asset. There is also no class system here and as an ex-Pom (Limey) I find that very attractive.

Deigh

When I visited New Brunswick in Canada several years ago it was I think July. I was surprised how warm and humid it was. The best things I remember is that it was so green. A deeper green than here in the south. It also felt as though the air was so clean. It was actually very clean period. I really enjoyed it. Deigh I can honestly say that visiting New Zealand is one of those probably won't get to bucket list items. Many places around the world are on this list. Sighs....oh to be a world traveler. :humming:

Don't give up on the travel dream Tracy. you never know where life will take you next.

Oh Heather I am not. You never know what your future holds! Until then I'll keep dreaming and enjoying. :humming:

Hi Deigh

Port Elizabeth, actually, about 600km South of Durban.  Beautiful weather (not as hot and muggy as Durban), windy and great waves for surfing.  I lived in Australia for three years, but never made it to NZ.  My closest friend in Aussie was a New Zealander, and my wife and one of my kids travelled there (many years after we were back in SA) for the Kids Lit Quiz world finals (the first year that Canada fielded a team, and they won!).  I'd love to go there, but time is short and getting shorter.

I was in SA for the World Cup finals between the Kiwis and the Springboks, when James Small effectively nobbled Jonah Lomu.  That game turned into an independence celebration, bringing black and white together in an amazing way.

Paul,  I lived in Margate for half of WW2. I was evacuated there from Egypt via Jerusalem. That is a long story on its own!

My wife and I did a world trip twenty years ago and I was able to visit the place again. I was able to repeat a fifty year old photograph of me fishing from a bridge over the lagoon.

Deigh

You should write the story about the evacuation.  Great to be able to repeat the photo.

I have written my memoirs for my family to read, the evacuation story was very high on my list. I've tried to find via the internet other survivors of this experience but so far have had no luck. There were 400 of us so there must be others still around. By co-incidence I did meet a NZ engineer who was evacuated from Singapore to the same area, he was six years younger than I so I would have had little to do with him then. We stayed in contact with him and his family for a few years, but had little in common with those days.

Deigh

Here it is approaching spring, daffodils are poking through the ground and you don't have to go far to see woolly balls of fluff called lambs.

Have a look at this lighthearted greeting from New Zealand

Paul, where in Australia? My doctor is from SA. I always used to give him heaps about the cricket, until you guys started beating us!

Tracy, when you get down this way, there is always a bed at my place for you.

We live right next to some bush. There’s a kangaroo who lives in some trees near the fence. True! It winter it’s lush and green and beautiful. In summer it’s brown and blah and full of deadly snakes!

Janelle I WILL remember that! OMG to see a real kangaroo out in trees. Maybe winter would be a wonderful time to visit (snakes and me are not friends LOL). No matter when though it would be a truly once in a lifetime adventure! 

Wow this thread has really spanned the world.  Let me through in a few things.

Re: gardening.  I just planted about 60 bulbs last few weeks.  Daffodils, tulips, and hyacinths.  Took a while.  I got them and thought I only needed to plant the about 3 inches deep.  The instructions told me to plant 6-9 inches down.  That requires me to use the big shovel.  I have been working out and am now able to manage my shovel.  But could only dig 15-20 min at a time and plant about a dozen bulbs.  Then I would rest for another day.  Boy was I sore.

Toronto is nice, and has weather about like my area.  We are only about 4 hrs away.    I too hold out plans that I will be able to travel again.  I was able to visit my mom this year.  My wife does the driving now, and she lives 330 miles away.  Coincidentally, it's a Toronto too, just not Canada.   I used to only be able to handle a few miles at a time in the car.  This bodes good for longer trips.  Now just to tackle flying and boats again.

Stockflyer thanks for adding. It has been all around the world hasn't it? I love it! Deigh that video was awesome! I must have missed it before. Flying and boats <---- have yet to be brave enough so I am with you.