•  

I was intubated for the MRI yesterday. I woke up with it in my throat. panicked. today my lip is all chewed up. hurts. I have a new eucalyptus lip balm that is cool. smooth.great.

My voice is hoarse whisper. gravel. quiet. It hurts to talk? My throat feels like I am swallowing over lumps in my throat. I have been drinking hot stuff. tea. noodle soup. And cold stuff. Indulging in a diet dr.pepper. Some relief. But it is worse today. I told my nurse to contact doc for help but then tried to recall those home remedies. oh warm salt water. right. gonna do that. hoping for logenzes that numb. I cannot cough good since stroke but I have stuff coming up.

This hurts. This is awful. Kept me up all night. very little sleep.)

I am a baby now. Hugging teddy and just putting top coat on. watching movies.reading here Praying.

unbelieveable this did a number on me.

Is this normal. I had a spasm. stopped breathing. and was yelling. did I do something to myself?

I've had that reaction in the past when intubated.Especially if there was a bronchospasm, seems we sort of bruise the vocal folds in our airway, also if you had a trainee tuber, they can take a few tries. That's how it was explained to me. Popsicles and/or ice cream help.

Actually anything can be better with ice cream. :2thumbs:

The GOOD NEWS is that you can eat ice cream- guilt-free! You were intubated for an MRI? Never heard of that being done before. Hope you feel better soon.     Becky            l                   

yes and screaming while intubated is not recommended.

OMG I really forgot about ice cream. How?? Ok so that is future plan.

Becky I had anesthesia. I am claustrophobic.🌡🌞⛲stay cool this weekend guys and dolls!

Yeah, I get very uncomfortable in small, enclosed places myself. I'm not sure that it rises to the level of claustrophobia, but I can easily see myself refusing an MRI because of it. But, intubation? They could eat my dust, and see just how fast a wheelchair can fly when the driver is wheely motivated.   Becky

Ice cream is nice but the tube shaped ice lollies last longer and are extremely effective for sore throats.  here they are called "zooper doopers". a friend was telling me the other day how they are also great as targeted ice packs when her carpel tunnel is playing up.

Like Becky I can't imagine why you would need to be intubated for an MRI even if you were sedated. But they must have had a reason and you now need to deal with the after effects, which sound really nasty. I'd be heading for my teddy and quiilt too

-Heather

They intubated me just in case. I am on so many pain meds. Breathing was the issue. And then I did stop breathing. They started me again and said it was spasms. 

So now I got a magic mouthwash. It has lidocain benadryl and mylanta in it. Plus some lidocain gel numbs it.

my voice is still messed up. I can eat better now.

Also a nurse bought me some lozenges. Really kind.

Update

My doc at hospital ordered me "magic mouthewash"

it is mixture of benadryl

lidocain

mylanta

cherry flavor

swish gargle spit or swallow

instant relief

no more heartburn feeling or feeling I swallowing lumpy marbles

no pain

Magic indeed

and the pharmacy delivered pronto

this was wonderful because the doc here ordered lydicain 4%.pharmacy said will deliver on Wednesday 

omylordy who can wait

I pleaded with nursing to call ask why

they shrug pass it endorse it along and then after The groggy that lingered passed then one night I called asked wth

and reply was that 4% needed special order 2% was stocked

ohhauh

....so I asked the nice man to call the nurses to get a 2% order for me bcuz that may get here b4 magic does.

so nurse came to tell me that unfortunately pharmacy can only provide 2%. I said to nurse whodatink called em.

so on monday both products got here

helps.

It's SO GOOD when the magic stuff works! and isn't it annoying how no one thinks to look for alternatives when there is an issue with something. Why can't they ask if 2% will help if they don't have the exact one the doctor ordered.

Glad to hear you have relief and can start to get better. Just remember that pain (at least in this case) is trying to tell you something so don't be tempted to rush talking until your chords have a chance to heal.

I'm so happy you have received some real relief. I have kept up with your MRI ordeal and now having painful side effects. I hope you got some much needed rest not to mention just breathing, talking, eating without so much negative reminder. Hoping you will feel much better soon.

Thank you!! Your support really helps.

Yes kinda OK to have useful pain for a change LOL 

Ummm not talking is really hard

I have texted

said I still cannot talk without strain pain

and people are??????what is this

once again something unusual goes on

yes 2% is good

Ha and using the magic2% with the lidocaine gives me 4% lol well helps

funny they say it not here. I say frig. I need to put up a sign

Friend telling me to go live on my own so THAT conversation again. I look ok but not. And talking about how I cannot do for myself is not as much fun for me as for some. 

Yes mystery MRI

but the awful thing is that now thinking about a surgery like getting electrode is super scary. not the throat thing. the not breathing thing. what if the next time I not pop back.😱

And the sleep apnea test coming up. I could not deal with that mask thing on my face. How do you exhale? Can we practice first like for kids... 

I mean they said breathe deep..keep breathing but I think I held my breath because exhaling was like I was blowing the air out in the mask and no room for it.

So what if I need the sleeping mask? Will I be able to exhale. Or what about next time getting anesthesia....😴

maybe hit me up with the IV sedation before you suffocate me by too much air thing. 😤

And I will get refills on Magic....

Yes and I feel stupid I could  not just get in there. But I cannot.🤤

If you cannot you cannot, don't beat yourself up about it, you are not the only one.

For now make yourself a sign to put around your neck that says you are "on voice rest and won't be talking much".  You don't need to explain why.

The mask is not fully sealed (and if it is one that seals it will have an exhaust valve) so that there is room to exhale, keep telling yourself that it might help. And maybe get yourself a dummy mask to practice with, that's not a silly idea.  Ask your Doc if you can have an old one?

If you are someone who finds knowing how it works helps to reduce your anxiety this might help https://airwayjedi.com/2016/01/20/assisting-ventilation-with-bag-valve-mask/

I ended up having the sedation by mask thing with my last surgery and it is not pleasant!! you feel like you are choking and it tastes horrible.  I had the mask as my veins have become really scared in the last 6 months and they couldn't get a line in to administer the anesthetic, so they used the mask to get me sedated enough that they could get the line in.

I do hope your throat heals well and quickly.

-Heather