•  

ksmith

hard getting thoughts in order

I know we all go through spells of feeling down on ourselves. Mine is now. What tips do you have for keeping your mind on track on a task. I'm power ready, at first, then I'm just not together.

Help 

I often struggle with that myself, mostly I find I can better order my thoughts by writing (typing) them them out. Then I have a punch list of things to do. Doesn't mean they get done but I have a list of what I should do. Some times though I just accept the don't wanna. :wink:

Kelli, The no. one rule for me is to choose a place and time which is distraction-free. That means that I don't have 11 different things to do, and, if I do, they're put on a back burner because this task is more important. I HAVE A PLACE TO DO THE TASK WHICH IS FREE OF DISTRACTIONS- NO TV,RADIO, PHONE,etc. I get everything out that I will need beforehand. Once that's done, I start. 

I'm a list person. If I'm having trouble getting started I'll write the list down and then prioritise it (as Scott said actually write/type it out). Once I know the priorities I make the plan for the day. and as Kelli said if you get out the things you need before you start you are much less likely to get distracted. The other thing with lists is to make a ritual of crossing things off so you can see progress. I have been known to put write the list on the list I'm writing just so that I can cross it off. It gives a feeling of momentum that makes it easier to keep going.

If it's a complex task a list for the task as well as a list of tasks may help too.  Like when cooking get out all the ingredients and maybe even the tools before you start.

But the big key is often to make it fun so you want to do it, also remember eating an elephant is done one bite at a time, don't beat yourself up if you don't finish on the first attempt, put a stake in the ground and come back later.

I have to agree with everyone's comments. For me making a list is really important. Prioritizing is hard for me but if I know it is something very important I will usually give it its own list and focus on that first. It works best for me when I do it everyday and I don't beat myself up if things don't get done I just write it on the next day's list. If I get lax or fall out of habit with this then I revert back to what my speech therapist taught me about planning and accomplishing. I set up my day by the hour...using each hour for a task. I also keep a very important list on the same sheet, I focus more on these. Some days I just can't seem to get the energy to accomplish my list and I know it. On those days I place all my focus on the really important things like disability paperwork or financial assistance applications...these usually have a time limit. Then I reuse those missed tasks on the next days list. As far as getting the gumption to start and finish something I sometimes set a timer, sometimes just do something right then as I think about it or am reminded of it because I went into that room. Sometimes I make myself follow that list and some days I just don't get it done...the key here is to not scold yourself for it. Like you and I have talked about Kelli sometimes I have to rest up to build my energy for something I know is needed to be done but that I know will deplete my reserves and therefore pay some price. Preparing helps to lesson the price. Remove distractions...that will get me every time.

22 hours ago, becky1 said:

Kelli, The no. one rule for me is to choose a place and time which is distraction-free. That means that I don't have 11 different things to do, and, if I do, they're put on a back burner because this task is more important. I HAVE A PLACE TO DO THE TASK WHICH IS FREE OF DISTRACTIONS- NO TV,RADIO, PHONE,etc. I get everything out that I will need beforehand. Once that's done, I start. 

great tip xxooxx

21 hours ago, heathber said:

I'm a list person. If I'm having trouble getting started I'll write the list down and then prioritise it (as Scott said actually write/type it out). Once I know the priorities I make the plan for the day. and as Kelli said if you get out the things you need before you start you are much less likely to get distracted. The other thing with lists is to make a ritual of crossing things off so you can see progress. I have been known to put write the list on the list I'm writing just so that I can cross it off. It gives a feeling of momentum that makes it easier to keep going.

If it's a complex task a list for the task as well as a list of tasks may help too.  Like when cooking get out all the ingredients and maybe even the tools before you start.

But the big key is often to make it fun so you want to do it, also remember eating an elephant is done one bite at a time, don't beat yourself up if you don't finish on the first attempt, put a stake in the ground and come back later.

so strange I read this now for my Aunt and I were talking about her lists. I always try to be active-ish in the summer for winter and darker earlier causes me to go into a depression and then do I find time for things.  :( 

I also use lists.  I try to be consistent, and use a system designed by Tom Limoncelli (Time Management for System Administrators):

Double-page a day.  List of things to do, prioritized, on the RHS page.  Notes and long term tasks on the LHS page.  Cross things off as they are done, make notes if necessary.  At the end of the day, transfer incomplete tasks to the next day's page, along with the next day's new tasks.

Sounds more complicated than it actually is

His entire system is a bit more complicated, but the extras are coping with a complex work environment.

19 hours ago, PaulNash said:

I also use lists.  I try to be consistent, and use a system designed by Tom Limoncelli (Time Management for System Administrators):

Double-page a day.  List of things to do, prioritized, on the RHS page.  Notes and long term tasks on the LHS page.  Cross things off as they are done, make notes if necessary.  At the end of the day, transfer incomplete tasks to the next day's page, along with the next day's new tasks.

Sounds more complicated than it actually is

His entire system is a bit more complicated, but the extras are coping with a complex work environment.

that's GREAT advice. I'm going to try this :)