•  

Hello,

On June 10th, I mowed the lawn, refinished my main bathtub, and installed a closet organizer in my spare room. While workin in the closet, a level fell and hit me on the head. I thought nothing of it. That is the last memory I have until waking up in the ICU. Apparently, I went to work on the 11th and 12th and took a taxi to urgent care on the 12th complaining of a killer headache. I have no memory of this. While in the waiting room, I passed out so they did a CT which showed nothing. Then I went into cardiac arrest and they did another CT and it showed bleeding.  I had a ruptured aneurysm on my basil artery. They told my cousin it would be a miricle if I made it through the night and if I did, I would need to be placed in a nursing home for several months.  That was June 12th. On June 27th I was transferred to the Rehabilitation Institute of Oregon for therapy and discharged to home on July 11th. I am still doing therapy and it will be a while before I can return to work, but I am counting my blessings each day I wake up. At 57, I am not finished with my life.

I have another small aneurysm behind my right eye and many questions.  I am also trying not to let these “thoughts”  rule my every waking moment. I hope in time that gets easier.

What a staggering experience. Do you have any problems with your arms, legs eyesight or voice? You talk of therapy. What form does it take?

Welcome to the club.

Deigh

Wow what an inspirational outcome so far from such a scary reality. I am so glad you fought your way through so quickly and with determination. The good news is that you can have much hope for improvements since it has only been 2 months!! I am glad. Anxiety after a stroke caused by infarction or hemorrhage can be very present. None of us want to go through this again so it's understandable that our minds are a bit nervous about it and already knowing you have another small aneurism can surely increase this anxiety. Do know this is very common and for most will fade with time...if it doesn't or gets worse be sure and tell your Dr. Good news is that you both are aware of the small aneurism and that means a huge amount. Your Dr. I'm sure will keep a good eye on things for the future. I wish you all the best...and welcome. :hello:

Thank you!  I know how blessed I am. I came through this with little physical deficits. My gait is impaired and my short term memory is nonexistent. My biggest problems are mental. I become easily frustrated and can’t follow more than a few instructions before losing my way. I am hopeful that will improve. I am working hard each day and doing the exercises the therapist give me.

Thanks fo4 the welcome.

Knowing where your weaknesses are is a huge part of learning to live with them.  You should find that with practice and effort they will improve also you will start to develop and use coping mechanisms that make it easier. post-it notes, phone reminders and other sorts of lists all help with memory and planning issues. So does just getting on with living your life.

Wow. bless you and your recovery.  While reading your post, I was reminded on how amazing your brain is to make you forget the bad part of your ordeal.   I know for me , multi tasking and me are not friends anymore. Ask my upstairs neighbors for the smoke alarm goes off regularly lol no hard recipes for me   

WELCOME to the site, Watson! :big-grin:

Hi Watson,

you had an ordeal.  we all have our own stories with some common threads.  I do hope you can get back to work.  I too thought I would be back to work in a few weeks.  That was almost 3 years ago.  I don't have the stamina and get exhausted very easily.    But I have made a great deal of progress and who knows what tomorrow brings.  Push as hard as you can and push your PT folks to push you to be your best.  As they say, leave it all on the field at the end of PT.

You may hit periods where you want to cry, break down and give up.  That's OK.  take a break.  Just don't let it beat you.  You are in control.

My short term memory is improving, but not great.  I look back as stuff I did right after the stroke and realize just how much I didn't know and couldn't do.  I wonder if everyone else say that but not me.

Have a great day!

Hullo Watson

Welcome to the super-exclusive club that no-one wants to join.

Sounds like quite the ordeal.  The good part is that things improve and will keep on improving.  Sometimes fast, sometimes slow.  In my case, my memory took a huge hit, but has improved continuously.  It  is still nowhere near what it was, but has gone from almost non-existent (could not recognize the house we'd lived in for 12 years) to good in some areas (directions), mediocre in others (todo lists).

You also learn to compensate; I make endless lists, and have finally learned to consult them regularly :-).  I also avoid certain types of work or social interactions (I cannot handle big crowds).  And I have found new pleasure in areas that I would not have thought of before -- running with my children, repainting the house (with written notes about what paint goes where :-)).

We are not doctors, but between us we have a huge amount of experience (from the inside).  Ask away!  We are hear to offer advice, anecdotes and support.  And to share your journey with you.

paul

you are the proof of how sensitive our heads are to trauma,a reminder to all bikers and motorcyclists to wear a helmet!

congrats on being alive and able to soldier onto improvement,I am now one year into stroke recovery and still experiencing my frustration with normal living.    If you are a believer, focus on faith and positive messages, like those from Joel Osteen, they constantly  remind me of ythe valley we are in and how to use it to grow and improve.I started tai chi, in addition to working out 5 days a week, it gives me focus and I am getting stronger as  I go.All the best to you for improvement!