•  

ksmith

family reunion weekend

I had my family reunion this past weekend and I paced myself and it is always a grand time. Everyone, with the exception of a few, live with in driving distance for a long weekend. My sister and her broad are staying with me and at my parents for a few more days. The arrived on Friday and leaving Tuesday. I forgot how my 'sensory overload' and OCD affects me sometimes. I only have a 900 sq.ft. place. Normally I'm ok with people at my house. I love my sister and BIL & kids, don't get me wrong, I just have a way of doing things. I know I know, we all say this when others come into our space. When things become 'switched up'  around me it causes me a physical pain either in my chest or stomach. ( I've been diagnosed with OCD). I think that's why I never want to date because I don't want to share my space with anyone. This became more intense after my stroke.

yes I goofed on my Xanax so I have no more for 2 more weeks however, I always felt this way when people come over. ((even my parents)) 

How do you all who have hosted folks handle this? So I know for next time 

Kelli :

I have similar issues when  hubby & me are both in kitchen at the same time, & he tries to do things his way & I have my own way of doing some things. I hate it, but when I let it go & don't get bothered by how things should be & accept the way they are right now, I end up having more fun, & new routine gets build for me. Usually going with flow without resistance always works for me.

Asha

thanks for the advice .  I know the carpet is just a thing but when I have no extra money to fix the stains or clean it I stress. 

It sounds a bit like when I have to share space with my Mum. I love her dearly but we don't do things the same way so I long ago learned if we are both in the same space for any length of time to just go with the flow and be the duck (Although I admit to exchanging the occasional eye roll with my Dad, which Mum hates if she catches us)  If the carpet situation is stressing you out ask your guests to please keep food and drinks to the kitchen, and to take their shoes off at the door. Under the circumstances I would explain that it's creating stress for you and give them a solution you can live with.

it's all silly thing that got me frustrated. I enjoy having them around but having a small space makes it crazy for me. I mean I get frustrated even with me here at times when it looks like to much cluttered. They are very understanding and I forget they have been around me since my stroke and understand my flippedness emotions. It's not good to only be around soft sounds all the time for when you have to go some where loud, you'll coward in the corner. 

I went to DVR yesterday and I may get a part time job at the ARC (The Arc has a rich history spanning over 65 years and marked by accomplishment.  We continue to carry out the mission and vision of people with intellectual and developmental disabilities, as well as their parents and siblings. https://www.thearc.org/who-we-are/history) around the corner from me in a group home. I once, in another life, worked at a state institution in Florida although the guys I cared for weren't able to live alone, the group home setting is mainly a 'observer' and assist when needed but mostly they live on there own. My mother knows the supervisor and  is going to '"drop a word" off for me. I'm hopeful for this. Now that is a situation where it's not soft sounds but less hands on ( other than cooking ) but they , from what I've heard they are understanding with people with disabilities. ((Fingers crossed))