•  

tmciriani

Nude extra for PBA aka Nuedexta (auto correct...eek)

Anyone here have any experience taking Nuedexta for PBA? I have been placed on a trial of this med. which ran out last Wednesday and the Dr. gave me his last sample. I contacted the manufacturer to see if the had some sort of patient assistance program and they do because it's really expensive. So they said for a little bit get samples from my Dr. and soon it will be processed but he is out. So I never started the therapeutic dose of twice per day....yet. Just curious. Thanks

OMG it auto corrected to "Nude extra". :shocked:

Tracy you may have to go nude to pay for the damn things! How expensive! I get so cross when tablets we need are so expensive.

I don’t have PBA, so no need for this tablet.

It's ridiculous...the medicine is made of 20 mg of dextromethorphan and 10 mg of quinidine. Dextromethorphan is basic cough med over the counter and quinidine is heart med or something about the heart. $20 maybe? But the app I use to get meds which has always given me the best price comparisons near me is like 1200/ month! Thankfully the manufacturer is going to provide them for me but I have to drive to my doctor to get them every 3 months (hour drive one way). Otherwise this would be a no go. Big Pharma.

there are moments when I'm very glad of the existence of our PBS, although it takes ages for new meds to be listed and sometimes the setup is crazy.  I was prescribed an anti-emetic wafer when my liver was bad.  The PBS script only allows for 4 wafers per script, even though the standard prescription is 1 every 4 hours as required up to 3 per day. Thankfully I usually only needed 1 per day to control the nausea, but it meant I only used them when I got desperate. Then on admission to hospital I found out that the tablet form of the same drug was all they had, so my sister had to go and get my supply from home. The last thing you want when you are really nauseous is to be taking a tablet, especially when you know that a wafer that just melts on your tongue exists.  I found out later that I could get a non PBS script for them of 20 per box, and it only cost $15, a worthwhile expense, given that as person with a chronic illness my PBS scripts only cost $6.40 a script, other people pay the first ~$40

Heather I was so confused lol. My acronym is PBA for  pseudobulbar affect so when I was reading PBS in your post I was thinking "ohhh it must be different in Australia" but after reading all the way through and thinking PBS stood for PBA I was lost lol. PBS pharmaceutical benefit scheme. Totally makes sense now. :big-grin:

yep we also don't call it PBA, here it's called "emotional lability"  It took me ages to work out that you folks used a different name for it, sorry for confusion. So many forms of English :big-grin:

Thanks for clarification Heather. LOL I think here PBA, emotional lability, emotional incontinence (lol I and many others have referred to it as diarrhea of the mouth or emotions), and maybe even pathological crying and laughing. I think PBA and emotional lability are used the most often and directly speak of what I talk about but I've heard all of those. Funny how different places are the same but so different. :smile:

Yay I did find out today that the manufacturer is providing this med for me free of charge. I go back to my Psychiatrist Wednesday and hopefully he has samples or maybe he receives the med. The lady said it was in the process phase so it would reach my Dr. In 24-48 hours. I'm excited about its possibilities. It could help a lot.

Tracy so glad you are going to have the meds free of charge. I hope it makes a good life possible for you now.

That’s awesome news Tracy!