•  

alansd

Virtual reality therapy

I was watching a pbs show on VR where they recreated ancient cities, like Athens. Then people could tour them in the VR "world"

this led me to think what if they had software that would simulate your arm moving as in mirror therapy, but the experience would be so much more therapeutic.  Imagine my left arm playing guitar in th rv room, it would stimulate my brain to create new connections.. maybe a wow moment....

i looked this up and saw where people with severed spines were able to move their legs with this therapy. I want to find the company that would design this software for me...

I am contacting an Irish company that is doing this research. Hopeful, and excited. Tha Cochran group is the research company.anyones thoughts?

Who knows' it might work for you. And, if not for you, then someone else. But, Alan, please don't invest your lifetime savings into it until you can share your idea with professionals/researchers in PT field. This may have been tried already.   Becky

I do wish you the best on your search and answers Alan. For me, virtual reality is a no go. MASSIVE NAUSEA. But my cerebellum was the stroke place and it affects balance, equilibrium, proprioception...but I am less than 2% of stroke survivors. For someone else it might be wonderful. Who knows? :hmmmm: 

Alan I think it may already exist.  Although not specifically for guitar playing.  Here's a link to a study that may provide useful links https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0093318

When I was in inpatient rehab 8 years ago we used a Wii sports program in OT.  And the hospital where I go now for therapy has a robot assisted CG system that they use for some patients, It's not VR but I suspect that's just a question of funds and time, hospitals usually only have treatments that have already passed theory stages of research.

Good luck with it.

i spent a portion of last night on the skype with a senior engineer at Sony, in japan. He too suffered a stroke, 10 years ago. and has had a slow recovery. He was quite interested in the VR and already has a knowledge of the design process.I pointed him to a list of research paper on the CochraneLibrary.com   and he will keep me posted on what he finds. He is an inventor of 3d video,like Nintendo, and an amazing man.

before we ended he told me the Japanese government has just approved  a new Stem cell treatment for stroke patients with no side effects ( like Cancer),which had been a big issue) HE will keep me in the loop on that too. Imagine that.They would inject the cells into your brain and they grow into new brain cells to replace the damaged areas.

forever the optimist,I am interested of course,

see this

Edited by alansd
added link

Good to know!  Thanks for sharing! 

I just gif accepted to a university study, by an OT doctor  and graduate students into VR therapy for stroke arm recovery, they will come to my home 3 times a week. I am a lucky dude. Hope to report good results,soon.

Ive read and heard about VR being used in rehabilitation centers for those who can't walk or get out of bed and that helped.  When you find more info please let us know 

I sure will , you can see the progress in this therapy as companies like Saebo offer systems for use.