•  

alansd

Virtual reality therapy

I was watching a pbs show on VR where they recreated ancient cities, like Athens. Then people could tour them in the VR "world"

this led me to think what if they had software that would simulate your arm moving as in mirror therapy, but the experience would be so much more therapeutic.  Imagine my left arm playing guitar in th rv room, it would stimulate my brain to create new connections.. maybe a wow moment....

i looked this up and saw where people with severed spines were able to move their legs with this therapy. I want to find the company that would design this software for me...

I am contacting an Irish company that is doing this research. Hopeful, and excited. Tha Cochran group is the research company.anyones thoughts?

Who knows' it might work for you. And, if not for you, then someone else. But, Alan, please don't invest your lifetime savings into it until you can share your idea with professionals/researchers in PT field. This may have been tried already.   Becky

I do wish you the best on your search and answers Alan. For me, virtual reality is a no go. MASSIVE NAUSEA. But my cerebellum was the stroke place and it affects balance, equilibrium, proprioception...but I am less than 2% of stroke survivors. For someone else it might be wonderful. Who knows? :hmmmm: 

Alan I think it may already exist.  Although not specifically for guitar playing.  Here's a link to a study that may provide useful links https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0093318

When I was in inpatient rehab 8 years ago we used a Wii sports program in OT.  And the hospital where I go now for therapy has a robot assisted CG system that they use for some patients, It's not VR but I suspect that's just a question of funds and time, hospitals usually only have treatments that have already passed theory stages of research.

Good luck with it.

i spent a portion of last night on the skype with a senior engineer at Sony, in japan. He too suffered a stroke, 10 years ago. and has had a slow recovery. He was quite interested in the VR and already has a knowledge of the design process.I pointed him to a list of research paper on the CochraneLibrary.com   and he will keep me posted on what he finds. He is an inventor of 3d video,like Nintendo, and an amazing man.

before we ended he told me the Japanese government has just approved  a new Stem cell treatment for stroke patients with no side effects ( like Cancer),which had been a big issue) HE will keep me in the loop on that too. Imagine that.They would inject the cells into your brain and they grow into new brain cells to replace the damaged areas.

forever the optimist,I am interested of course,

see this

Edited by alansd
added link

Good to know!  Thanks for sharing! 

I just was accepted to a university study, by an OT doctor  and graduate students into VR therapy for stroke arm recovery, they will come to my home 3 times a week. I am a lucky dude. Hope to report good results,soon.

Ive read and heard about VR being used in rehabilitation centers for those who can't walk or get out of bed and that helped.  When you find more info please let us know 

I sure will , you can see the progress in this therapy as companies like Saebo offer systems for use.

I started in the VR study, they come to me 3 times a week for two hours. It uses Saebo vrehab software on a Microsoft connect set up. I stand in front of a monitor and make my avatar do the exercises. It's tiring and uses my left arm a lot for the whole time. not sure what it will ultimately do, but it does get the arm moving a lot.

they record my performance to compare sessions.it will last 5 weeks. 

Sounds good, Alan.

Please keep us updated on your progress.

Now two weeks, 6 sessions in this routine. my left arm was is working for the first time, I can bend the elbow, mind the arm across and up also. Can't raise it overhead yet. The next few weeks, there are three to go, they will implement hand and wrist training. Bring it on!

Awesome! Your progress is fantastic!

How’s that ear to ear smile going?

Alan, it sounds like a lot, but your arm is responding. I would be interested in hearing the results.   Becky

lm nearing the end of 5 weeks twice a week therapy.   my affected arm moves a lot more and with little or no pain now.   Next week they will assess my ability.The system is Saebo VR

it requires a computer, xbox kinnect interface and their software.

Alan, this is so exciting.  I have been trying to find out how to get VR for my husband to use.  I saw that Saebo had a VR platform, but it looked as though it was for use at a rehab facility.  My husband seems to be at about the same place you are with his arm and he doesn't think his 2 days a week at outpatient help that much.  They have a computer program but rarely get him to use it.  The hour of therapy goes by so quickly. I'm so grateful you are sharing your journey.  It is difficult to get information on where to get VR therapy. 

That seems absolutely amazing!  I wonder if someone like me, who doesn't get PT and OT because of insurance could do something like this at home.  I'm so glad that you have made progress with your arm, and i can just hear your guitar of the future, singing the praises of your hard work and perseverance!

You would probably need someone to show you the exercises that are right for you and the equipment would be expensive so if your insurance won't cover conventional therapy I doubt they'll cover this either. Although the chances of that improve the more studies like the one Alan is doing that happen.  Ask around and see if you can get into a therapy trial. I've done a few now and even if the therapy being tested doesn't help much when they are doing blind trials you at least get some conventional therapy for free, and as they are doing human trials the "no harm" ethics procedures mean that the proposed therapy they are testing is considered harmless.

If you can't get the specific VR software and hardware, you can still use your xbox kinect or wii console to help you with basic movements and do it yourself therapy.  The starter level kinect games are a real challenge for basic gross motor movements. I used kinect for a while when I had first learned to jump again.  I should go back to it as I haven't been practicing like I should. and with relearned movements it very much use it or lose it.

Oh no! really?  I thought once I relearned something it would be there.  Like riding a bike so to speak....I know, I'm so new to all this but I was sorta hoping...praying...that relearning and healing would be a linear process.  Like improvements only... I have hour by hour abilities right now. Sometimes I can walk with my hiking stick and sometimes I need the walker.  Sometimes I can talk have intelligently and sometimes I sound...well...less than capable.  Sometimes I can get dressed and sometimes I sit there wondering why I have three shirts and no pants on or what the order is to put on clothes....pants..then underwear?  underwear than pants?  wait...what about the socks?  LOL.  But I was hoping in time that it would be a linear progression toward "normal"....tell me it just does keep getting better, but slowly...and that I wont go backwards...please!

I think your idea about clinical trials is amazing!  I wrote it down to look into as I find a spare moment, and brain power...

Hi Tarina, sorry I can't tell you what you want to hear. Don't we all wish it worked that way. There's a lot of 2 steps forward one step back on this journey though. Once you get something back you need to reinforce it until it becomes fully automatic again. But if that new pathway gets "rusty" it can be hard to use it again.  and everything works less well when you are tired and do too much, so there'a a big balancing act all the time.  Overall the journey is much more forward than back so don't despair and the stuff you use everyday gets almost like before.  You can do this!  and remember just living creates a lot of "therapy" too.

On 11/15/2018 at 10:35 AM, alansd said:

lm nearing the end of 5 weeks twice a week therapy.   my affected arm moves a lot more and with little or no pain now.   Next week they will assess my ability.The system is Saebo VR

it requires a computer, xbox kinnect interface and their software.

What is the pricing for this system?  I was at Abilities Expo (for the disabled).  Neofect exhibitor demoed the Raphael Digital glove product.  I think that it works similar to Saebo VR except you wear a glove so it will monitor your fine tuning of your hand movements.  They also have a smart peg board.  http://www.rapaelhome.com/us/smart-glove-2/   Hopefully, rehab centers will start to adopt these solutions as it does show clinical improvements for some stroke survivors.