•  

ksmith

Week 1 of training done

Only week 1 and it already feels like a month. I’m not used to being busy every day. My brain needs down time but that is the hardest part. I’m so thankful that I was honest and they tried to accommodate me... AND THEY HAVE. My fear was I was going to a busy and stressful group home and I would have become overwhelmed.  I have been sent to an apartment complex where there is a number of residents who require ‘assisted living’. Most of them work and only require little prompting to help us with cooking, cleaning and medical. We do drive them where they would like to go because the ARC’s (Agency) is to provide a regular life. So many can just say, “I am going to visit a friend” and if they wish to walk... Then wish them a safe trip. They are the boss, as they should be for their own lives.  I’m going to mainly be with a woman who has seizures and other health issues so I can become acquainted with how things work down there. I’ll have to work hard to adjust my sleep schedule for Saturday and Sundays I’ll be on 7a-3p the Monday and Wednesdays 3p-11p.    The good thing is I’ll be with the same person. 

I’m the second oldest one there and since I’ve been out of the game for a while, I ask questions.  Some may say a lot and that causes tension I our group by oh well.

I enjoy the people I’ve been with …

Mind you this is only the start of week two.. Come back to ask me in a few months lol

Kelli! Great big hugs, I have been thinking about you all week. Sounds like you are coming up with a good plan to help you transition. I am so proud of you!!!! May you get much needed rest and recuperation before this next week. You've Got This!!! :you-rock:

Kelli that sounds like a great start to your new adventure.   Fingers crossed (metaphorically anyway) that it continues well.

:hug:

-Heather

Excellent! I KNOW you can do it!  Good luck and hope all goes well! 

Keli, I'm fascinated by what you have reported but am quite in the dark about your move. Have I missed out on earlier messages? 

Deigh

OMG huggss!! I am so proud of you Kelli! I hope you get some much needed rest in between now and your work day coming up. Keep talking to the kitties 🙂 they're going to miss you while you are working but will soon know that you will keep coming home! Let me know when you are feeling up to it and I'll check in on you.

3 hours ago, Deigh said:

Have I missed out on earlier messages? 

Deigh, I think the details/background are in Kelli's blog.

On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 4:15 PM, Deigh said:

Keli, I'm fascinated by what you have reported but am quite in the dark about your move. Have I missed out on earlier messages? 

Deigh

so Social Security alone isn't covering all my bills. Living in New Jersey isn't making it easier so I went to my local Department of Vocational Rehabilitation to see is I may find employment that can accommodate my limitations. I was given The Arc's name. The Arc is an organization that helps to promote inclusivity for those with physically or intellectual disabilities. So I work with a group of individuals that live in assisted living ( apartments) and helping them out with whatever daily issues they may have. They are very independent , for all intents and purposes, and have jobs, proper employment just some needed assistance with medication, money or transportation. There are levels of housing for The Arc.  Group  homes , are for those who are, for whatever circumstance, can't live without assistance and where I am at is above that. So more independence. I hope I cleared that up. I'm not good at writing down my thoughts   

Kelli before my stroke I was a house manager for a brother and sister who were mentally challenged and needed full assistance although they were mobile. I also used to be a house parent/manager of 1st an all boy group home and then an all girl group home. These were mentally and physically cahallhallenged teens and went to a special school on campus during the day. I got a lot of personal positivity at both jobs. I'm so glad you have found a place accommodating...it will probably give you positive vibes. 

Onwards and upwards Kelli...kudos to you!

All the best...keep us posted!

Thanks for that reply Keli, I understand now what is going on. Good luck with your new assignment.

Deigh

21 hours ago, tmciriani said:

Kelli before my stroke I was a house manager for a brother and sister who were mentally challenged and needed full assistance although they were mobile. I also used to be a house parent/manager of 1st an all boy group home and then an all girl group home. These were mentally and physically cahallhallenged teens and went to a special school on campus during the day. I got a lot of personal positivity at both jobs. I'm so glad you have found a place accommodating...it will probably give you positive vibes. 

I swear when I read that I read a brothel.. I almost spat out my food .. I needed that 😉

😂 Awesome Kelli!

Hope that works out for you not only financially but emotionally, its nice to be wanted and needed

Ed

4 hours ago, edkel1 said:

Hope that works out for you not only financially but emotionally, its nice to be wanted and needed

Ed

Got it in one, Ed. The feeling of being needed can’t be beaten.