•  

Rachael

TIA... ?? Thoughts? Also, hand clawing....

Hello lovely people - I’m new, and I’m grateful to have all of you here. I’ve felt supported to have found this forum and all your shares/messages to one another already.

My question is a — what do you think?? As the ER docs were hopeless. 🙄 

I’m 46, pretty ok health?? Ok, maybe not so much. Smoke too much lately. Been drinking a bit. Have Hep C. Saw on ER labs my liver numbers aren’t great (surprised!). Don’t exercise. I’m weighing more than I have my whole life by 40lbs for some reason. Saw on ER labs my glucose was up (shocked! 1st time ever!). Over the summer for about 6 weeks I had really bad edema in my ankles/calves for who knows why?? Had Lyme Disease pretty bad last year + pneumonia. Migraines. Hmmmm..... damn. 😒  When I put it all out there like that. 

Plus — my dad died from a stroke at age 51. 

So I’m going to try my best to nutshell. ....   Saturday I was sleeping outside in an armchair- which I’ve done all summer, then about 3/3:30am I woke up and noticed my left hand and wrist were off. My hand wasn’t asleep, nor numb - it just wouldn’t respond to commands. It was..... clumsy. Never in my life have I experienced anything like it. Of course I consulted Dr. Google and the only thing that came up was TIA. (Note- my arm/shoulder hadn’t been pinched or compromised in any manner while I was sleeping.)

I also had a headache I could not shake for about a week++ prior and for about two days following. 

After lots of hemming and hawing and calls to ER and my doc on call (& his order to go to ER.... NOW), off I finally went. Docs do physical exam like strength tests and compare both sides of my body. Take usual vitals. Do MRI and CT scan. I was so fatigued that I could not stay awake. It was extremely difficult for the doc to wake me up. One time the doc woke me, I was FREAKED OUT. It took me a long while to - I don’t know, orient myself?? I wasn’t sure where I was, why these people were staring at me, even what I was. I have NEVER in my life experienced that before!!! And I’ve lived a crazy life at times (drugs, homelessness, etc.). After one of those absolutely insane wake-ups (sometimes in a totally different state!), you’d think being stone cold sober, surrounded by family would be, ah, normal???? I also did have some problems finding words. But don’t we all sometimes? The MRI and CT scan looked “reassuring.” And THAT is what the doc based everything on.

I left the ER with the direction to see a neurologist IF my hand did not improve for possible nerve conduction testing. Also to go for sleep testing. 

And....that’s all. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Now, from what I have learned? TIA’s don’t often show up on MRI’s or CT scans? Or sometimes until a few days later? Is this true?? 

Also, I understand the symptoms of TIA are “supposed to” last, or go away, rather quickly. While my stuff persisted - specifically my hand. I’ve had that partial “claw” issue going on now for 6 days (Thurs today). But it is getting progressively better. Ever .... so .... slowly. 

I’m getting an appointment with the neurologist now. The neurologist is trying to get me in ASAP, my GP has a new nurse and she’s clogging up the works; dragging her feet. I’m on the phone every day trying to get that referral over. 😤  Tomorrow I’m calling and will ask to speak with my doc himself. I’m done with that nurse. 

So —- experts??? Thoughts?? 

MY intuition about myself?? I feel like something neurological occurred. I believe it was a TIA — or something a bit more. As obviously something went wrong —- suddenly —- to cause my hand problem/clawing. But, then again, I dunno. ???  That’s why I’m here.....

TYIA!!!

Rachael 💜💜💜

My advice would be definitely to follow your Dr.'s advice. It could be neurological...a TIA or something similar or even other neurological problems. From what I understand a TIA is considered a mini stroke and causes similar symptoms of a full stroke. I have also read that it can go away as quick as it came and also that some effects linger though eventually with time and maybe therapy will return to normal. It can mean brain cells went without enough oxygenated blood to cause damage just not so much that the brain cells die. I do know that if it is a TIA that it can be a warning, a precursor, to a bigger issue. As far as it not being detected, I was one of the lucky few who had a full completed stroke and it did not show on my CT (due to where it was) and they stopped. An MRI is the best test we have so far to detect acute stroke...I can assume the same could be true of TIA I'm not sure. Get to that Neurologist! Best wishes.

Rachael I agree with Tracy, you need to see the neuro.

All the best.

Do whatever you have to to get to the neuro as quickly as you can.  You have to put your health above the receptionists bad attitude.  The fact that no-one has picked anything up yet does not necessary mean a whole lot; your symptoms probably do.

If you are luck, it'll be some sort of Migraine or TIA, and the receptionist will get *beep* about being bypassed.  If unlucky, it's a stroke and they have been looking in the wrong places.

I was sent home from ER with a migraine on my first visit.  Second visit (two days later) they admitted me, but it still took two more days before they found the tear in my vertebral artery that caused the stroke.  The medical staff were not goofing off; it was just really difficult to find and the initial symptoms were not conclusive.

So get in there, advocate for yourself and stand your ground.  It's your life, and it's worth fighting for.

Good luck, and I hope that it is just (just?) a migraine.  I'm holding thumbs.  Let us know what happens

I cant add anything that has not already been said..................................go see your Dr 

Ed 

Thank you @tmciriani Tracy, @GreenQueen Janelle, @PaulNash Paul, & @edkel1 Ed 🤗

My doc’s new nurse FINALLY got the referral over to the neurologist late yesterday so I set everything up today. But it got complicated. As earlier THE WRONG neurologist’s office called me to make an appointment- all cheerful like, stating, “we received your referral.....”.  🤦🏻‍♀️😫🔨

Like what is up with this chick/nurse!?!?

Because I know *I* communicate clearly. As evidenced by my current and past history of zero problems with these types of medical communications before. 🙄

Anyway, onward and upward!! 

I have my appt with the correct neurologist this coming Thurs. Yay! Maybe I’ll get some answers ...... or the start to them.

I don’t think my hand and other symptoms were migraine or headache related. Simply because migraines run in my family (my dad and before him, and unfortunately I’ve passed them on to my children) with no atypical occurrences in any of our histories. And mainly because I’ve had horrific migraines since I was in kindergarten; having them often for the past 4 decades. They’re predictable in their pain and symptoms. Even through pregnancy, Lyme disease, flu’s, and hangovers lol. 

Thank you all again! Right now, you’re all I have! 🤗💜🙏🏻

I pray for a definitive answer. Specifically TIA as it seems like it would be the most cut and dry. I really dislike limbo. Right?? And I’ll for sure stick around. As well as keeping you in my loop. 

Rachael 🧚🏼‍♀️ 

I'm glad you are going to see the correct neuro to finally get sorted out.  Have/had any of the doctors rain a complete blood work up? Perhaps... just perhaps it could be from either weight or smoking? I know I gained weight, after my stroke, and that can lead to other underlining health issues.  I just read an article talking about waking up and your brain hasn't fully lifted the vail of sleep paralysis. https://www.vox.com/2016/6/6/11854588/numb-arm-sleep . Still get checked out x 

Rachael, None of us here are qualified to give you a diagnosis, so I'm really glad that you're seeing a neurologist. Whatever the diagnosis, it might be a good idea to consider it a wake-up call. As Tracy alluded, a TIA ( if that's what this was) can be a precursor to a full-blown stroke. But, you've been forewarned, so you can take steps to keep this from happening. Like reducing cholesterol in your diet. Use diet and exercise to reduce any diabetic tendencies or blood pressure issues. Hep C is curable now with 1 pill per day.  However, I also learned from my friend that that 1 pill/day is extremely expensive. But pharmaceutical cos. are offering free or low-cost meds to those who qualify- see, or get, a gastroenterologist now for further details. Lyme disease, I know nothing about except how you contract it. See a doc about it, and find out if you can do anything about it now.  Just make you as healthy as you can. Good luck to you.   Becky

Awesome news!

Yes, please Rachael,  let us know how you get on.