•  

One month ago today the unthinkable happened. I had a stroke. I was talking to my brother on the phone and my words got all garbled. I knew what i wanted to say, but the words that came out were irrelevant to the conversation. My brother called an ambulance and within a half hour I was having a ct scan that confirmed that I had a blood clot on the right side of my brain. 

Here I am, a month later, able to walk and talk. My walking is a bit stilted, my focus and concentration are not what they were and emotionally I am shell shocked.  I am grateful that I found this group, I need emotional support and hopefully I will have some insight that will help someone else. 

Thanks for reading this. 

Welcome! I know that you wish you didn't have a reason to be here... but I'm glad you found us. It can be so confusing right after having a stroke. And, you have so many questions, that you hardly know where to begin. Well, that's what we're here for. So, ask away, and we'll try to help you navigate the waters of stroke!    Becky

welcome to a really wonderful group.

Reading here has saved my life.

Hi Sue

Welcome to the club that no-one wants to join.  This site has saved my life, and many others'.  It is a source of acceptance, ideas, assistance, friendship and acceptance.

Your brain has had a massive trauma, and it will take some time to recover.  Give yourself three months before you feel halfway back to normal (that's why Ontario suspends drivers licenses for three months and then requires a re-test; not sure where you are).  After more than three years, I'm still seeing improvements.  Please be gentle with yourself.  It can be very very frustrating when your brain and body don't function as before, but things _will_ improve over time.  In the meantime, don't try to be a hero.  Push yourself by all means (it probably helps recovery), but don't blame yourself for the stroke or for not being able to do things that you could do before.  

Take whatever assistance people offer you, and don't be shy about asking for help (here or in real life).

paul 

Thank you all for your replies.  When I read them I burst into tears.  I am no longer alone.

Thank you.

Been there done that to.  Still have bout if I meet or converse with another survivor.

You don't ever have to be alone again.   Becky

One of the greatest assets of this forum is that it puts you instantly in contact with fellow survivors and you can have conversations with people who have experienced the same problems you are facing. Overcoming the many problems an attack by the Dragon can take time but we will all have experienced them. Good luck with your recovery.

Deigh

On 10/1/2018 at 6:50 AM, becky1 said:

You don't ever have to be alone again.   Becky

True fact, Sue.

So very glad you found us.

i found this "club" while in rehab, a bit over a year ago.It made me so much stronger to hear from others with the same experience, or much worse ones,Still here and active.Welcome to you...