•  

So you know I have had a gutful of the hospital with staff changes...

Had been thinking about telling my case manager/dietitian that I didn’t need to see her anymore either...

She visited the other day and before I could say too much she said the hospital was releasing me from the Day Therapy Unit! Problem solved.

Because I’m diabetic now, she referred me to a government funded dietitian/diabetes education place.  Guess what? Wayne earns too much money for me to have a Health Care Card, so I’m not eligible.  Apparently they could maybe assess me and think about the possibility of perhaps acknowledging that they may think about maybe adding me to a list to think about me some more.

No.

I am quite certain our health system is easier to understand than you guys, if you earn below a certain amount you can have a Health care card, which entitles you to cheaper medications and assistance from the government.  We also can pay for private health insurance, which has different levels for different prices.

Because Wayne earns just above the cut off for assistance, we get no government support whatsoever.  Let’s not go there.

Anyway, the story is that I now am going my own way in regards to therapy etc.  I’m actually very happy about that.  I know what I need todo and not do.  It’s just that dirty M word again, Motivation.

Oh, another M word for you: maccas.  We don’t ever say McDonalds or McDs. Maccas. End of. Feel free to use and be a little bit Aussie!

Janelle yes the public system doesn't want to know about us but if you want to you can work through your private health to access out patient therapy for no out of pocket (other than yearly excess if you have one).  how many sessions you get each year depends on your health fund and level of cover. to do it you need to locate a private hospital with the services you need/want who has an agreement with your health fund. You'll have more luck finding out about it through the hospital than the health fund.  The health find claims people don't seem to know this is done. it is hospital cover not extras cover so I assume that's why they don't know as the phone people are all about extras usually.  The cover outpatient services as inpatient somehow. Once you find a program you need to get a referral from your GP.

But I do recommend starting by finding a good neuro physio who is out of pocket or partially covered by extras. I use mine to coordinate my care  program and advise my gym trainers.  He also helps with that dreaded M word when I need it.

Also don't forget you are entitled to your 5 medicare subsidised care plan allied health sessions each year. Yes it's a drop in the ocean, but its better than nothing. You now qualify for those on 2 grounds, diabetes and neuro injury, as they are both considered chronic health conditions. Although the government is stingy and you'll still only get 5.  ask your GP if you haven't already.

There are also non means tested ways to get a Health Care Card. I have one as I get a mobility allowance. It may be worth checking if you qualify for one, but I think you need to be working and/or studying. It's the in between step for those of us who aren't disabled enough for disability allowance, the government recognises that keeping us working as long as possible is cheaper in the long run.

Wow, Janelle I feel so lucky that my hospital group offers me financial assistance. One thing I have noticed no matter where you are and what type of medical programs are offered there...there is always something that gets in the way of what we need and many more like stroke survivors. I think it's crappy. Wish you the best of luck. Also, Maccas is my go to place for no no foods, it's inexpensive. :minding-business:

Sometimes I feel bad about not having any health insurance and not getting therapies...and possibly the benefits of therapy that might improve my outcome.  I wish I had more direction from someone who was walking and talking with ME, but on the other hand, I've been listening to you guys, doing some of my own research to find out what I need and directing myself.  There is definitely some freedom in that!  So I try to look at it as a positive.  

As an aside, I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic due to an autoimmunity that I have known about since my 20's.  They told me I would be diabetic by the time I was 30.  Well at 43, my pancreas had started to be attacked by the autoimmunity and my sugars started to go up.  My A1C, the measure of blood sugar over three months ish....was 6.9,- .1 percent away from being diagnosed as fully Type 2, in May of this year during my annual physical (BTW I know they measure differently in the UK and Australia, but I don't know what the equivalent would be).   They gave me Metformin, but it made me sick, so.....Again, they didn't refer me to a dietitian or anything because of insurance, so I did my own research....and started the KETO diet, within 3 months my A1C was down to 3.8!  Way below any concerning levels, and was still at 3.9 in October! So, go me!!

This was before the stroke, so its hard now to get food that lets me stay on the diet, but at least I know what works for my body, and I really do try to be conscious of the macro nutrients that I put in my body and I think that 90% of the time I am still in metabolic ketosis....which BONUS has neuro-protective properties!  Anyway, the KETO diet (before the stroke) brought a whole new level of mental clarity, energy, and of course reversed my diabetic condition.  I know most people do it for weight loss, but that was not, and is not, what I wanted so I had to be careful NOT to loose weight on it.

Good luck with no therapies, maybe this is a God-send and will let you feel more in control of what is happening to you, give you more choices about what YOU want to do, and have less people in your life tiring you out.  Now you can do therapy when you feel good, not just when someone comes for their appointment and makes you do what they have "prescribed" for you.  YOU get to "prescribe" for you! That is awesome!

Tarina you talk about something so important that us as survivors may have experienced or might experience in the future. The good news is there are so many resources for the kinds of therapy that benefit a lot of stroke survivors. You said you were expecting to see a Neurologist soon. Be sure to tell him/her of your circumstances and what deficits you should work on. They may suggest an initial meeting with a therapy program. Get everyone on the same page and that you intend to do therapy for yourself at home. I am pretty sure most would be happy to provide you information you can use to help improve your specific issues. Best of luck! Research, research, research! 🙂