•  

Benni

Playing too many games?

I play word games a lot on my tablet. About 40 minutes every hour for about a 5 hour time span. I still have fatigue, could that make me too tired, or is it "training" my brain in a good way?

Hi Benni anything is possible. It does sound like a lot of screen time each day. Which means you are being quite sedentary which I find does reduce your overall energy levels. I'd be trying to break it up a bit more even if it just with some gentle walking around the yard for 10 minutes every hour or so.  try rewarding yourself with a lap of the house each time you complete a puzzle, remember they are designed to be addictive and to make it hard to put the game away.

What does your Dr say

I've been told your brain isn't at rest even watching telly.

Play the games, we gotta do something, but as Heather says, stretch it out a bit.

Have fun!!

Benni it can be a double edge sword. Those games can really help and too much can cause other issues like being sedentary and it can affect your sleep. Electronic devices emit blue light. This spectrum of light can affect the brain's sleep cycle. You may notice it's hard to get to sleep, you may wake up often, or you may sleep more during the day. I agree with the others stretch things out a bit and also be sure to put down your device a couple of hours before bedtime. You can also try using paper puzzles...books may be hard to wrangle but if you have a printer there are gazillions of online sites where you can print free games. Good luck. Also, using a clipboard with a slip resistant material glued to the back (kitchen cabinet shelf liner or non skid carpet stuff - either cut smaller to fit the back of your clipboard) will help keep your paper in one spot without using the other hand.

12 hours ago, heathber said:

walking around the yard for 10 minutes every hour or so. 

I usually play 40 minutes per hour, the other 20 minutes is doing chores, so I am being a bit active.

Ed, I haven't brought it up to doc.

Thank, Janelle!

Tracy -- great ideas! I do paper puzzles a lot, too.

I agree with Heather, you should get up & walk every 10 mins for 5 mins inside home, go from one room to other, sitting & playing for so long can't be that good for you, brain needs other exercise too like reading, walking.

Asha

I read a lot. Plus Hubs and I play 3 different card games every afternoon. I walk plenty while doing chores. I do the laundry, dishwashing, putting it all away. I can do all housework but the floors. I have a girl come in and vacuum/mop once a month. I do stay active, plus I go outside every hour for fresh air/sunshine.

Housework keeps me active.  Wears me out, actually. 

We get food shopping delivered,  but I need to go to town for everything else. That really wears me out.

So many ways to be active (Benni you can relate - try making the bed one handed!) that don't seem like activities...

I find when I " think" and you do with playing games, it will cause me to feel very tired . I play a matching fruit game but with my ADD I can only do about 10 mins before I get bored lol

Benni, I have found that game screens are brighter, busier ( lots of colors, flashing, bright lights,  and have more activity in general) than screens like Strokenet, for example. Try turning the colors down so that they are less bright. You can't always do this, but when you can, it helps a lot. On one screen, it was a bright, vivid green, and I changed it to brown. What a difference that made!! I got tired everytime I played that game until I muted the color.    Becky                                                                                                             

Becky that's a great idea.

I play a game called Simpsons Tapped Out on my iPad.  Perfect one handed game. 

Sometimes there's too much going on and it's too much for me. I get the kids to take over for a few days. 

I do love it, as it's something I can do by myself. 

19 hours ago, GreenQueen said:

Housework keeps me active.  Wears me out, actually. 

We get food shopping delivered,  but I need to go to town for everything else. That really wears me out.

So many ways to be active (Benni you can relate - try making the bed one handed!) that don't seem like activities...

Same here, Janelle -- shopping is very tiring for me. I have a deal with Hubs -- he makes his own side of the bed, I make mine.

13 hours ago, ksmith said:

I play a matching fruit game but with my ADD I can only do about 10 mins before I get bored lol

I don't get bored, I get mad at myself when I can't find the word I want, in my head, and I know I should know it. Word games are my big go-to games.

11 hours ago, becky1 said:

Benni, I have found that game screens are brighter, busier ( lots of colors, flashing, bright lights,  and have more activity in general)                                                                     

I only play games in the daylight (noon - 3 pm) and all the busyness doesn't bother me.