Countdown To Christmas!

•  

Deigh

Speech difficulties

I'm still struggling to improve my speech. I've nearly beaten the inability to say the word RURAL. Last week in conversation with my wife about her sketching I suggested that she was not frivolous enough. To my surprise I found the word FRIVOLOUS even more difficult to say than RURAL. This word has now been added to my daily list of exercises.

Deigh

it is amazing how the $.25 cent words, or in my case potty mouth ones, are so easy to say. Hey Rural is a difficult word in itself. The mouth and  tongue have to form the R's and it's tricky. I know for me it still is. I don't hear myself slur, but I still do.  Keep up the good work with the tongue and lip and breathing coordination. 😁 

LOL Kellie I totally recognize the same thing with myself. 25¢ words. I'm much better at those than the rest. I wonder why? I mean I know for me those words usually come out of being frustrated or upset which is when I may have the hardest time talking. Think maybe those words are stored in a different area of the brain? Weird. I have to research now lol. 😁

I hadn't noticed that rural was so hard to say correctly until just now...but my math is slowly improving.

Scott, Now try your hand at saying frivolity!

Deigh

23 hours ago, Deigh said:

Scott, Now try your hand at saying frivolity!

Deigh

That's just mean. :lol:

My son's name is Corey, and I have to pay close attention to the 'rey' part of his name so I don't sound like Barbara Walters! (It was 'Cowey' for years) :smile:

13 hours ago, smarshall said:

My son's name is Corey, and I have to pay close attention to the 'rey' part of his name so I don't sound like Barbara Walters! (It was 'Co(r)wey' for years) :smile:

for a long time I couldn't say R's  ( ham-buga)I know say most of the words wrong, for I say the, phonetically, for my brain can't figured them out 

I have trouble with lots of words that, when said correctly, use extremes of mouth shapes one after the other.

Remember

Constitution

Gosh! Now I can’t think of any! I think if you say these two aloud, you will know what I mean.

Went into my local chemist today and had to get my tongue around PRESCRIPTION. Nearly had me beat! I'd forgotten that it was one of my problem words!

If I understand correctly, Japanese people do not have the letter 'R' in their language. Does this mean that Japanese stroke victims have easier recovery to speech problems? 

This is a serious question. I'd like to know if anyone has an answer please.

Deigh

i don't have an answer Deigh but that is an interesting question indeed.

I don't know either,  but I'm kind of hoping that they do have the speech part easier. 

There's so much to try and recover, if they had one thing that wasn't too bad, good luck to them. 

For what it is worth, there was an entire episode of "30 Rock" on TV that revolved around people's inability to pronounce "rural juror".  So you are not alone, even normies can struggle with this.

Deigh, Since brain features are determined by species, and not by nationality, I would assume that recovery times would be similar for Japanese people and people of other nationalities. Without the "r" sound to stumble over, I"m sure that there are other sounds in Japanese to stumble over. For instance, I can say r's OK, but struggle with the "s" sound, and, I recently discovered, the "x" sound. But, I have not done any research, and it may prove me wrong. This is just my thoughts.   Becky

Paul, That is staggering. The Scots are great 'R' rollers in their speech. I wonder how they get on with recovery?

Deigh

Becky, You are probably right, there must be sounds in their language that would be difficult to get round too.

I do some floor exercises every day. I count every movement stretching my mouth muscles. I've changed it now to counting Rural one, Rural two and so on when twisting my shoulders. When swinging my legs I count Juror one, Juror two. I save the hardest to last and when doing press-ups count them Frivolous one, Frivolous two and stop at Frivolous eight. I would like to show more improvement with my speech but despite all my hard work I can't see any gain despite having nearly four years of post stroke effort.

My fingers are improving and my walking is getting better but the speech no. This is despite the fact that I use my voice much more than my fingers or legs in normal day to day activity.

Difficult to understand!

Deigh

Some things are easier to accomplish through neuro plasticity. Some are more difficult. I am pretty sure it depends on what the area of your brain that were damaged or how bad or how much or if more than one area was affected. Neuro plasticity works I know you've been aware of it Deigh. 🙂 I don't think it is 100% and I think some things are much harder or take much more work to get results. That being said, I think it continues and I am so impressed that you still work on things everyday Deigh. Keep focusing on your improvement...I think it can only be a positive thing. 😊

I found another word. I really struggle with it.  Deteriorate.

In casual conversation I have to speak slowly and deliberately. When explaining this recently I discovered I cannot say "deliberately" as part of a sentence. How ironic! I too struggle with L words and R words. When speaking in sentences the words "leader" and "clean" stop me in my tracks. If I try to muscle through I simply stutter. I found if I use a fake, high pitched voice tone I can say them with no problem.

I don't have problems with 'L' normally, but I must confess that 'deliberately' takes some getting out! Will add it to my unpronounceable list!

Deigh 

You guys inspire me! I don't really have a list but some words do stick on my tongue. What really affects it for me is how fatigued I am, if I am having anxiety, being caught off guard when asked a question. All those things and probably more can lead to stuttering, mispronounced words, difficulty getting my words out and a lot of word searching. At another moment you may never know I have any difficulty. Weird. Lol I like when I accomplish this outcome. 😁 I'm a private person...even what's in or not in my head. Cheering you guys on your lists...inspiration!!!

6 hours ago, tmciriani said:

.What really affects it for me is how fatigued I am, if I am having anxiety, being caught off guard when asked a question.

Me too, Tracy,

Fatigue, anxiety, etc., all take their toll! I find I do my best when I take my time.  (My having to slow down has taken a few months; hearing, "I didn't get that at all." on more than one occasion spurred me on.)

:smile:

I can't think of any particular word or letter I have trouble with, but in his notes my neurologist noted that my vocabulary is rich while my speech is slow, thoughtful and flat.Apparently other people think I speak in a manner that I am carefully considering every word...nope, just trying not to sound like a dolt.