Countdown To Christmas!

•  

Deigh

Speech difficulties

Deigh,  I have been thinking about your speech problem, just as I have been thinking about my own, as I have dysarthria too.  I am disappointed that my speech is not better than it is after 11 yrs. I am annoyed by the frequent requests to "say again". And I AM ALSO FRUSTRATED THAT I CAN'T SPEAK FOR MYSELF BECAUSE NO ONE UNDERSTANDS ME. What I concluded is that most of the problem with speaking comes from the fact that it involves multi-tasking. You have to coordinate and use, your breathing, tongue and its muscles, and your mouth and its muscles. Plus your larynx if you want to be heard.  As we know, stroked brains do not like to multi-task. So, everything is fine until we try to speak a sound that we can't wrap our tongue around. I'm wondering if your practicing efforts shouldn't involve more practice in multi-tasking, like more reading aloud. I'm thinking that saying words like "rural" and "frivolous" only makes you better at saying those words and doesn't improve your overall speech. Just my thoughts, for what its worth.    Becky

I think you have the problem in a nutshell. 

I walk every day, during the working week this involves me calling into two op-shops. I rarely buy anything but it is a good excuse to chat to people who are not being paid for their work and can spare time just to be social. I know most of the ladies by name and they all know mine.

I talk regularly to my wife and we discuss things of general interest and of course the news. We play scrabble most evenings and this requires lots of chat.

At the end of the day before my first (and only) whisky I read aloud from a book called 'The History Of The Guitar In Jazz'. It is full of almost unpronounceable names of guitarists like Jimmy Gourlay, Jimmy Wyble, Skeeter Best and Tony Rizzi. My wife takes no prisoners so I do not get away with anything.

What I'm saying is that practically my entire day is filled with exercises to improve my condition and judging from the other mail in this forum, so do most other survivors. I've even enquired of acupuncture to improve my facial muscles so I can be forgiven for complaining that I'm getting nowhere.

I can be understood by sympathetic listeners unless I'm tired or get excited and then all control vanishes and I gabble. I'm not looking forward to the day I have to phone for an ambulance or a firetruck in an emergency because it will take a well trained person to understand my needs!

Deigh

Becky I'm with you...some days I feel like crying when constantly asked to repeat myself.

I'm on the committee at my church for World day of Prayer, and I found a new word:

Ecumenical. 

During meetings I say "the E word".

Such a time saver.

I was in the local hardware store waiting to pay for my purchase. In no hurry I sat down at a display settee to wait till a teller was free. When this happened I got up rather slowly and made my way forward. Being clumsy I collided with someone else in a hurry. He seemed surprised about where I had come from. I tried to explain humorously that I had been waiting in the 'Executive Lounge' but do you think I could say the word 'EXECUTIVE' ? We had a few laughs about it and he obligingly deferred the teller to me.

Been practicing that word ever since!

Deigh