Countdown To Christmas!

•  

I had what can only be described as a minor stroke in the thalamus. This has caused numbness, fatigue and some anxiety. The numbness seems odd to me because it changes. For example. I can wake up some days with a very mild case of numbness on the left side of my body. At some other point, I might feel a more extreme numbness in my foot.  Has anyone else experienced changing levels of numbness like this? Why does this happen? Also, is it likely that over time these conditions will improve at all? Should I be getting physical therapy?

1 hour ago, Mark159 said:

I had what can only be described as a minor stroke in the thalamus. This has caused numbness, fatigue and some anxiety. The numbness seems odd to me because it changes. For example. I can wake up some days with a very mild case of numbness on the left side of my body. At some other point, I might feel a more extreme numbness in my foot.  Has anyone else experienced changing levels of numbness like this? Why does this happen? Also, is it likely that over time these conditions will improve at all? Should I be getting physical therapy?

Hi Mark, My stroke was in the right thalamus also. Mine was more on the severe side. My stroke was almost 4 years ago and I continually experience numbness on my left side. The numbness degree varies, but regularly occurs in my foot, often making it uncomfortable to wear a sock. I can not stress physical therapy enough!! Michelle

Mark, Michelle is right- physical therapy is the ###1 best thing that you can do for yourself! And the more you can get! I had numbness on my left, affected side from the stroke I had 11 yrs. ago. I WAS ABLE TO FEEL PAIN ON THAT SIDE IN THE FIRST YR., BUT, OTHER THAN THAT, MY LEFT SIDE IS STILL NUMB. EVERY STROKE IS DIFFERENT, SO YOUR NUMBNESS MAY GO AWAY, OR IT MIGHT NOT. 

THERE'S NO WAY TO TELL. I don't think that your numbness is moving, but, you probably have more tone in your foot, and what you're feeling in your foot is tone and numbness, and not moving numbness. Tone also feels worse when it's colder. I don't know where you live, but here in WV it's getting colder, and my foot is already reacting to the drop in temp. Tone is a stiffening, a hardening of your muscles making them hard to move. Movement helps. When my foot starts to bother me, I MOVE IT AROUND SOME, AND THAT SEEMS TO EASE THE DISCOMFORT SOME. Do try to get into Physical Therapy-it will probably be the best decision you've ever made.   Becky

I had numbness in both legs pre stroke, I often wonder if it was a warning of an impending stroke. Nowadays in my fourth year the numbness is mainly in the right leg about calf level. It is not concerning although I do plan to get some massaging done.

It certainly has decreased from early days.

Welcome to the club to both of you.

Deigh

On 11/5/2018 at 1:43 PM, Mark159 said:

Welcome, Mark159,

My levels change all the time. I've learned over time that when it's in the 60's and muggy, it's terrible!  Aside from that, (for me) there's no rhyme or reason to it.

:smile:

Hi mark159...it's very nice to meet you. My name is Tracy and I had a bilateral cerebellar stroke the 5th of July 2015. I only experienced numbness during my stroke of my extremities and esophagus. Today, thankfully, I don't experience the numbness due to my stroke. I do have Raynauds but that's a different story. I just wanted to say hi and welcome you to the group. I hope you get some answers to your question. Deigh I think it quite interesting what you explained. Did you ever ask your Dr?

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 1:43 PM, Mark159 said:

Hi there Mark, It's a pleasure to meet you however, I wish not like this. Numbness is a strange feeling and I can't begin to imagine how you feel. I found this information ( https://www.stroke-rehab.com/sensory-re-education.html ) on home exercises you could do to help with re educating the sensory part for your brain and body, for it moves. It sounds like your brain is trying to re wire 🤞

Thanks to all of you for your welcoming me and also for the advice. I have a friend who is a physical therapist who gave me exercises I can do at home.  Just started them and found out I need to work on my balancing which I did not realize. Was wondering if increased anxiety is normal after a stroke and if that ever improves?

Hi Mark many people report increased anxiety after a stroke. It may just be ordinary anxiety because your world and life just got turned upside down with no warning but it can also be a function of the brain damage from the stroke. You should talk to your GP or Neurologist about it. It may be worth getting a psychiatrist referral.

15 hours ago, heathber said:

Hi Mark many people report increased anxiety after a stroke. It may just be ordinary anxiety because your world and life just got turned upside down with no warning but it can also be a function of the brain damage from the stroke. You should talk to your GP or Neurologist about it. It may be worth getting a psychiatrist referral.

This is so important!! Thank you Heather for this post. Stress can cause our bodies to do so many things, both good and bad. 

I agree with Heather and Kelli too Mark. For me, I had severe anxiety right from the start...still do but I also had a weird stroke. I have heard lots of other survivors and read lots of medical literature that all say it is a pretty common response after having a stroke. Also that many improve a lot over time. Some with a doctor's help and some on their own. I'm sorta a weird exception. The first thing I would recommend is communicate this with your Physician for sure. You don't have to suffer or have anxiety get in the way of recovery that's the great news. I also say 1st communicate with your Physician because stress can be a big factor in medical history before or after stroke. Either way it can be harmful. It increases your blood pressure and your body produces certain chemicals that can further a inflammatory response. Both can increase your stroke risk. I have heard so many other survivors say that anxiety that they had after stroke got tremendously better or went away all together. 🤗 We are glad you are here!

Hi Mark, welcome to the exclusive club nobody wants to join 

Glad your stroke was mild.  The way I look at it is; mild, moderate or severe.  How can anyone tell us the specific level?  I had a stroke and my life changed in that instance.

I suggest you discuss with your physician about the numbness concerns and if you should have therapy.

Whatever decision you make will be the right one.  It must be because it's the decision you made.

Visit often, this group has helped me so much.  Share your victories boo matter how small they may seem .  We love to share Victories

With fellow survuvirs

Tomorrow is my fifth anniversary.

So I intend to celebrate.  

Be well,  stay strong.

Recovery mat not be easy or fast.  But hard work and determination there can be continued improvments.

Jay Allen

Mark, In the 10 yrs. or so that I've been coming here, I've noticed that most people are bothered by depression or anxiety. Strokees are no different than normies in that they can have both, but one of the two always seems to dominate. I have both, but my anxiety is by far the dominant one. I  can pull myself out of depression, but I need help with anxiety. So I take medication for it. But, your reaction may be totally different.  You may be able to handle anxiety like I handle depression. If it starts to really bother you, talk to your doc about meds, or a referral to a psychiatrist or a neuropsychiatrist. Best, Becky

Hey Mark,

so much awesome advice here.

My Stroke was thalamus as well.  Lots of weird numbness. Mainly my face.  It used to bother me.  Used to it now.

Look forward to chatting with you on the forum.