Countdown To Christmas!

•  

Last night I stood up from the chair in the study probably a little quick.  Went to the kitchen to put a recipe in the recipe cupboard  which is quite high. 

I felt a little dizzy but soldiered on with putting the recipe away. 

Next thing I'm on my bum, sitting right next to the oven that was on, with a door handle sticking into my back.

Today I have a big bruise on my back, right under the shoulder blade of typically, my good arm.

My bum is sore, as are my fingers on my good hand, and every time I move my back hurts where my bruise is.

It's the dizzy thing that gets me. Anyone else have dizzy moments that lead to falls or similar?

Yes I do. Especially if I am looking up or sometimes too if I may have gotten up too quick. Wow Janelle be careful and ouch 😦! Thankfully, it's been a while since I took a tumble but I know you can be very sore the next few days. Warm baths and bubbles! Warm to ease the ache and bubbles to play in 😍. Hope you feel better soon.

All the time, especially when it starts getting dark.

Hi Janelle and oh OUCH climbing and looking up while reaching are real challenges when your propriaception is iffy. as always make haste a little more slowly, especially at the end of the day.  Hemorrhoid cream and/or ice packs can help with the bruising and inflammation, heat packs help with muscle spasms. yes its a contradiction!  But thank goodness its only minor inconvenience and confidence damage. If you're dizzy don't push through it, take a moment to stand still and breath or better yet sit down again.

Look after yourself!!

-Heather

Janelle, Yes, I've had "dizzy" falls. But I've also had falls because my rt, "good" foot suddenly decided that it wanted to be a "lefty" too. I've also had falls that were due to my left, the weak, side just giving out. I've fallen off of a restaurant chair 1x, and off a bar stool ( totally sober, I swear) and out of my wheelchair 4x . I'm not trying to minimize your experience, but to tell you that I totally understand how you feel. Falls are not fun. I was blessed like you were, and never seriously hurt. But there's always a "next" time, and that stays in my head. Hope you recover quickly, Becky                                                   

Oh my. Your poor bum. Sadly, it happens more often then not. If I turn fast or move a certain way, yet, I always have issues so  it might not be similar to your experience : 

Kelli, you are right. Different issues cause different problems...hard to put it in a box.

Becky, I get sick of hearing "be careful " because I'm always careful. Yes, I get complacent in my own home, but still careful. 

Most of my falls are from the bad side doing WICKED things, like getting stuck on a chair leg.

Thank you all for your concern about me bum...all good!

I work hard to not fall, sometimes not very successfully. My neuro and primary have both made a point of telling me that because of the blood thinners I take, falling and hitting my head hard could be a once and done deal if a brain bleed starts. it seems like a contest between chairs and cats to see who gets to trip me.

I'm not convinced that falling can be avoided. But some things trigger it more than others.  I do try to limit my falls to "safe" spaces like the gym. falls in the gym happen semi regularly mostly because we are challenging me. I had my first one with the new trainer last week. He had me doing "round the world step up/downs" We use a 6 inch high step/jump mat for this and I have to step on and off the mat on all four sides without turning around, leading first with the left foot then with the right. I got caught by the step back and up leading with the "good" foot. I'm not sure if I caught my left heel or just didn't get the weight through the left leg, but I lost it and went down backwards. after that Matt started using the crash mat as well. I think I scared him 🙂

And yes Scott the cat is one of the most dangerous things in the house. I think she has permanent bruises on her paws, she puts them under my feet so often. And the yowl and look of disgust that follows each occurrence is designed to teach me different. Every time it happens I tell her "don't blame me you put your foot there".

Cats....oh yes.

The skinny cat has learnt to avoid me, whereas the big fluffy cat insists that my dragging my foot is my game for her.

Luckily she usually comes off second best!

On ‎11‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 3:27 AM, GreenQueen said:

Kelli, you are right. Different issues cause different problems...hard to put it in a box.

Becky, I get sick of hearing "be careful " because I'm always careful. Yes, I get complacent in my own home, but still careful. 

Most of my falls are from the bad side doing WICKED things, like getting stuck on a chair leg.

Thank you all for your concern about me bum...all good!

OH MY GOODNESS... "SLOW DOWN" makes my head spin...:#@</!!:

Indeed Kelli! There's only so long you can be careful or slow for and then you have a lapse and "here we go again" or "and she's down".

🙄 Whew, know I've been there. I have some times that make me laugh now and others that never became funny. Stairs (😬), Kitty (😦), inclines/declines (😵), rugs (😟), random things in my path (😫), uneven surfaces (😱), turning (😯), looking up (😫), looking down then up (😨)....there are so many things (😭). Sunday I went to my sister's for Thanksgiving and had to make it up about 10 steps to get to her front door. Both hands full there was no way I could use the rail (unless I don't have both hands full 🙄 ok lesson learned)...I got to the top step and felt myself falling backwards. Thank you Lord for my nephew who came out to help me and noticed and he grabbed my hand. Janelle I hope you are feeling better now. Thankfully, all my falls so far were not serious. LOL I think I might have two left feet sometimes. 💃

Wow, I didn't know that so many other people had trouble looking up!  I thought it was just me (thank god for stroke net!).  I also get dizzy looking anywhere but straight ahead with my head not turning either...but looking up is the worst, or looking up and to either side.  I walk around looking like a robot I'm sure!  Thank you for sharing that, and I'm so sorry about your fall.  I know its been a while and I hope your fully recuperated. 

Tarina, I so did this especially the first year post stroke. I know I felt like I looked like a robot too lol. This has gotten better with time. I don't know why this reminds me of a funny fact. I have always been able to dance and roll my hips and have rhythm. I had a cerebellar stroke and they effect your balance, proprioception, and how your body can have smooth intended movement. So now I dance like I don't even know...a robot, no rhythm, rolling my hips is like moving straight side to side or front to back, my arm movements 😨 are like robotic flailings lmao. I call it stroke dancing. 😁 Not just anyone has been privy to see me perform. LOL that does not count that I probably should be sitting when attempting said moves or else I may get really friendly with the floor. When I first attempted to move to the beat of music I was dumbfounded! Oh oh I'm so glad I can laugh about those things now. I hope I am not out of place. Laughter is good medicine though.