•  

Tarina

Affected hand starting to "curl", suggestions?

6 weeks post stoke, my left hand and fingers, especially my last three digits are losing flexibility.   I do not get PT or any therapy.  What I am wanting to do is "splint" them open while I sleep, in a comfortable way of course, so I CAN sleep.  I want to use them as much as possible during the day, so I'm only looking for night time ideas at this point. Any ideas on something I can make at home with common stuff, like whats in my recycling box?  I know there has to be a simple answer to this, but right now I'm not coming up with something that seems sensible.

(and no super glue Deigh!...lol)

Hi Tarina a night splint is pretty standard equipment. I hate mine and go through periods of not using it. During the day make sure you are using the hand as much as you can and stretching the muscles/tendons and mobilising all the joints through full range of movement.  what you use as a splint depends on how much movement you have. a glove or mitten with a soft ball in the palm may be all you need.  Another option to try is a rolled up flannel. A splint does not hold the fingers at full extension it just needs to prevent the finger tips from touching the palm. Also make sure you keep the fingernails very short. Benni was using an archery finger splint at one point she posted pictures of it here somewhere.

I don't have the 'curling' problem but to help with exercise I carry in my hand when out walking a palm sized, flexible toy and spend all the time trying to destroy it one handed. I have actually destroyed two of them! one was a duck and the other a penguin but my present 'Marmaduke' replica is proving to be of sterner stuff!

Deigh

I like all of your suggestions!  My hand isn't completely curled up yet, just starting to stiffen and be even less cooperative then right after the stroke.  I don't want it to get to the point that it bites into my hand, and if I don't do something about that now...it likely will.

I wish it weren't icy, snowy and below freezing here with a wind chill...id be out walking if I could.  I bought a little home exercise elliptical thingy-ma-jig that I can hold onto my walker and I'm going to place it in a corner to help stabilize myself (like Ill fall into the wall behind me and on both sides before I fall all the way down). We will see how it works with dizziness and balance issues...hmmmmm

Biting into the hand...that's where I'm at.

Not painful as such, but uncomfortable in many places from the palm right up to the shoulder.