TheWalker

What are the chances of another stroke once on medication?

Hi all, I'm new round here. So to  explain my situation a little, I had a series of mini-strokes over many months but didn't know what they were. I put off visiting a doctor, but the problem was finally investigated and I was put on standard meds i.e. statins, blood thinner, anti-platelet. I was told mini-strokes are often a sign a full stroke is coming, and maybe 50% of people get the full stroke later.

So my question is this, do you have any idea what my chances are now I'm on medication for life? Am I relatively safe now from a full stroke or is one still likely to occur at some point in life?

The whole experience has been bewildering. I was 45 when it all started and not really overweight. In fact I was walking many miles per day! The last thing I expected was a stroke. I briefly lost the ability to read, form sentences and speak. It actually wasn't frightening at the time. I was fascinated with what was happening. If I'd been physically disabled though no doubt I would have felt very different.

PS- Hopefully I posted this in the correct forum.

I have no idea.

There are many clued up people here who may be able to answer that.

All I’m going to say, is if you are doing all the right things, don’t dwell on the possibility.

The stress won’t help.

Hi I also have no idea of the stats, they can't even tell those of us who've already had the full catastrophe how likely it will be that we have another. other than to tell us our risk of a stroke is higher than other people who haven't had one yet, but are otherwise equivalent.  So get out there and live your best full life while you can and appreciate every part of it.  Remember it's the things we didn't do that we regret, when we look back at our lives.  And yes the whole process is fascinating, I too continue to be amazed rather than scared. I think that's the best way to deal with it.   Also be stubborn in the best way.

The good thing you have going for you is that you went to your physican and together you were put on medicines to help prevent a stroke from happening. Continue sticking with a good diet less stress and do what your doctor has ordered and just live life every day. Don’t worry about what will happen. I know it’s hard I agree, I’m not aware of what the stats are. One good thing that you have right now is a physician who has helped you figure out what was possibly causing your mini strokes.  I, like you, took very good care of myself. I was not over weight. I used to ride my bike 20 miles every day. And by some freak accident, my stroke happened.

I don't know the stats either. What I do know is that those meds you're on will go a long way towards preventing a stroke. And I agree that you need not to worry about it.    Becky

Eat healthy, exercise and see your Dr on a regular basis other than that why worry.........its out of your hands at that point

Good luck

Ed

When it comes to a stroke 1st time or reoccurance my Doctor has always explained to me that there are two sets of risks...manageable risks and non manageable risks. Basically some risks can be improved in part by the individual i.e. blood pressure, weight, smoking, be aware of heart health, control diabetes, control alcohal consumption, excercise, know your cholesterol and be proactive in keeping it controlled, diet, pay attention to snoring and keep your Doctor informed due to possible sleep apnea, and keep up with your health...take medications and low dose aspirin as your Doctor suggests. The non manageable risks are gender, age, family history, or genetics. Thing is that there are so many factors in play that full prevention I think is something that can't be accomplished. However, if you have a team of healthcare providers helping you to become aware of your health risks and helping you to manage what is manageable (medication can be one of those) then you are reducing your risks of having another stroke. Eat healthy, excercise, do your part of helping to manage manageable risks, see your Doctor or group of Doctors on a regular basis, and live life. Worrying will only add to your stress level and that in turn can increase your chances of stroke. Do what you can and then enjoy life. 🙂