MJS1963

I can WORK!!

Hello my new Friends,

Well it's official, I can WORK!

My employer has opened up their hearts and will allow me to continue to work full time. Not as a driver yet, but doing other things around the shop and business. Make small deliveries in the pickups, office help, do some routing for the other drivers, help in the shop, help with phones, but no filing as my filing system here at home consists of a large pile of papers in no particular order.

In a month or two or three, we will look into driving again. They are being cautious, which I can fully understand.

I found out that in Wisconsin if you had a CDL before 1996, I do not need a medical card for Intrastate driving. I need one for Interstate driving, but I dont drive between states.

Another thing I can get down on my knees and thank God for.

I'd be jumping up and down for you right now....if that were a possibility!!!!!!!!   I can however get down on my knees with you and thank the Creator with you!    SO AWESOME!!!!!  SO HAPPY for you, I know this has been a major struggle!!!!!!

Tarina, Thank you for your kind words. I will jump up and down a little extra for you.  I cannot help but to think that the Lord had fired a warning shot across my bow to wake me up and has given me an opportunity to change my life for the better. I will put you in my prayers.

"Pride goeth before destruction" was my destiny.

Mike.

That is wonderful news Mike. An employer who's willing to work with you makes a huge difference to your long term outcome.  But do watch yourself and don't try to do more than you can/should. Tempting as it is, jumping back in all guns blazing could set you back in your recovery. So the words I hate to hear I'm passing on to you here "Make haste slowly, please". Stroke fatigue has a nasty habit of sneaking up on you and accumulating over a number of days.  And the more accumulated fatigue you have the more your deficits will appear and impact both you and your work. Listen to your body and rest when and where you need to. 

You CAN do this but you also don't want to screw it up.

:you-rock:

Responded to your AWESOME news on your other thread, and just wanted to add a word of caution: Many people sufferfrom stroke fatigue after a stroke, and find that they just don't have the stamina they had pre-stroke. If this happens to you, don't fight it too much, let your life revolve around work and sleep, until your stamina returns. Alternatively, ask your employer if you can work 1/2 days, and work up to 8 hr. days gradually.   Becky 

Thanks you for your kindness and your encouragements my friends.  I have run into the fatigue already, even though I didn't suffer any lasting deficits, that I have found yet. But I have noticed I feel good all day, and then the bottom falls out quickly in the afternoon and I get severe snooze-itis. Luckily, returning will be light duty and my employer is aware that I need to go slowly and build up my stamina.

Congratulations! With each day more progress will come. Keep moving forward, one step at a time! Michelle

Well, it's been two full days at work, and I m amazed how fast I fatigue. I'm ok up until about 2 or 3 starting from 7am. My energy seems to drop off rather quickly.

Even though my stroke was small with no lasting physical deficits, it seems my body is rather angry with me. I would not have expected the energy loss I am experiencing.

I dont suppose the meds I am taking help, but it is rather pronounced. So looks like I will have to come up with some kind of gradual schedule to get to previous stamina.

Yep.  I second that.  I have short periods with energy and the rest of the time feel very fatigued.  Its my experience that I can't nap.  But resting does help.  Its the only time I can listen to music with words, because I block out all sight and light with a heavy rice pillow to help calm my headache and vertigo too. 

You can do this!  I think its great your back to work, but just like with dieting and stopping smoking, taking care of getting enough rest to heal is important too.  You have the right idea. 🙂

Mike fatigue is not fun.

Praying you will find a solution that suits both you and your employer.

Hi Mike the way I think of it is your brain is now a battery that has been fully discharged one too many times. It takes a lot longer to recharge and does not hold a charge well anymore.  It also tends to run out with a "bang". With constant trickle charging and being careful not to fully deplete it again it will eventually improve, but this takes time.  Learning to manage your energy and saving it for the stuff that matters is the key.

Neurofatigue is the most common ongoing symptom I have heard after a stroke. It's real and can knock you for a loop. Unfortunately, it can stay in that loop for longer than you expect. The brain is working extra hard to get all it's signals to the right place and having to take detours or a bypass. This is taxing on a brain and it seems to come on pretty quickly like hitting a brick wall. My best advice is listen do not ignore. Your body will tell you "You need to rest your brain!!!". I hope your company can be understanding and allow you room to build up tolerance over time. Slow and steady wins the race. You also can chance having a setback if you don't listen to your body. Sending you good vibes and tons of good hope and awareness. Stay positive. 🙂

Hi Mike

Any solutions for work / fatigue ratio?

I just got a part time job...applied for a was hired as a photographer for home,cars,planes,boats for sale . I have been taking pictures since I was 10, so I have lots of experience. hope to start in the next week or so.  Strictly part time by assignment. I can't work too much it will jeopardize my retirement.I am also going to be a support person  for  those hospitalized after stroke,

my therapist said I am good to motivate others.I look forward to helping.

Sounds like you may have had to make some decisions, and, for what it's worth, it also sounds like you've made some good choices. I wish you success in both new endeavors.   Becky

That is great. Again the difference between our strokes is that as a keen photographer the first time I tried to take a picture my finger was unable to press the button on my Pentax and having lined up a great shot I had to get my wife to press the button! For a while my phone was my main means of taking anything because it required practically no pressure to operate. 

Good luck with the job.

Deigh

Hey Alan, that is great news.  And the second half is even better -- nothing like motivating others to motivate yourself.

Awesome Alan.

Doing something you love and being paid!

So fantastic you are doing stroke support.  We all know how vital that support is.

My photo job did not work out. No clients in our area. Too bad, but I applied to teach English to Chinese online and it looks good. Also its work from home and no more than 3 hours a day which suits my energy level well.

i am training  to do stroke  support at a nearby hospital a few days a week too.

gotta keep on trucking.

mike.... hang in and your energy will gradually increase.Good luck to you.

That’s a shame, Alan. It seems though, you are opening other doors.

Hats off to you.